Becky and Jim

California Drivers License

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi!

My husband and i went to DMV to get me a california drivers license yesterday and were told that i couldn't get one as my I-94 for my K1 expires January 13, and that i'd need further evidence from immigration that i had extended my stay. We are in the process of submitting the AOS paperwork and want to know when we can expect to get any document that would be sufficient to get a drivers license. Surely we don't have to wait until i have a green card to get the license. I already have a SSN, which was very easy to get.

I was told at DMV that i could continue to drive on my UK license in the meantime but when we went to add me to my husbands insurance (AAA) as his spouse they actually ended up excluding me instead because i don't have a CA license or permit! So now i can't drive at all. Has anyone had similar problems in CA? Any advice?

Thanks

becky

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can try and go back when you get your NOA's for AOS. Watch and see everyone tell me I'm wrong and that you will need EAD at least, BUT, I got my drivers license with my NOA's, in Louisiana, not CA. Every DMV is different, some will do it, some will make you wait.......They can't arrest you for trying, all they will do,at worst, is tell you come back when you have the EAD, worth a try in my opinion! :thumbs:

AOS

05/26/05: Sent I-485/I-130 & I-765 to Chicago lockbox.

05/27/05: Paperwork received by Douglas!

06/17/05: Check hit bank account.

06/20/05: All 3 NOA's rec'vd! TG!

08/02/05: Biometrics , New Orleans. Pretty uneventful.

08/09/05: EAD Approved!

07/12/06: ......still.........waiting.........

09/26/06: Case Status says interview has been canceled............What interview????

10/23/06: Interview finally scheduled for 12/14/06.

12/14/06: AOS approval pending renewal of Biometrics....Waiting on appt. for ASC!

Will this ever end????

01/17/07: Biometrics scheduled.

02/03/07: Everything complete at our end! Apparently my case file is under somebodys wobbly table leg.

02/27/07: Approval notice finally received by e-mail.....only 641 days!! 1 yr 9 mths!

My little angel, Rachel Erin...born 02/15/07

IM000979.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was able to take a driver's test in CA based on SSN and Canadian passport, even though my I-94 is already expired and I am in the AOS process. I am not sure if they will accept UK passport as one of the documents they require, but they sure did Canadian passport.

As far as AAA insurance, when I first asked to have my car added to my husband's insurance they didn't because I didn't have CA license at the time, so I registered it at State Farm with no problem at all. I guess it is different if you both use the same car.

Good luck with straightening it out

Senka

AOS TIMELINE

10/27/06 Mailed I-485 and I765 to Chicago

11/07/06 Checks cashed

11/09/06 Received NOA1 for both EAD and AOS in the mail

11/13/06 Received a letter for Biometrics appointment

11/15/06 Received e-mail that RFE has been mailed yesterday

11/21/06 Biometrics appointment

12/04/06 Sent RFE back

12/08/06 RFE accepted in Lee's Summit - USPS confirmation

12/12/06 RFE recorded on file by USCIS

12/13/06 Touched

12/18/06 Touched again

12/26/06 Received Interview letter dated Dec 19

01/20/07 EAD file touched

01/24/07 EAD approved and card production ordered - received 3 e-mails!

01/24/07 AOS file touched

01/26/07 EAD touched, 3 e-mails received that the approval notice has been mailed

01/30/07 EAD Card Received by Mail

02/07/07 AOS Interview, approved pending FBI name check

04/27/07 Received E-Mail "Welcome New Resident"

04/30/07 Received E-Mail "Card Production Ordered"

05/01/07 Received Welcome Letter in mail

05/07/07 Green card received in the mail!

01/28/09 Mailed I-751 application.

01/30/09 Check already cleared! In two days!

02/03/09 Received NOA - Letter of extension dated 01/29/09

02/11/09 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 02/24/09

02/24/09 Biometrics Appointment Completed.

04/01/09 Inforpass appointment- got I-551 stamp in my passport

04/11/09 Approval Letter received - dated 04/07/09

05/06/09 E-mail "Card Production Ordered" received

06/01/09 10 Year Green Card Received!

You can try and go back when you get your NOA's for AOS. Watch and see everyone tell me I'm wrong and that you will need EAD at least, BUT, I got my drivers license with my NOA's, in Louisiana, not CA. Every DMV is different, some will do it, some will make you wait.......They can't arrest you for trying, all they will do,at worst, is tell you come back when you have the EAD, worth a try in my opinion! :thumbs:

well you got lucky. i've tried 2 offices and wasn't able to get mine. the lady at the 2nd office was nice enough to help me out with a few things when i gave my car to the hubby yesterday so i could get it registered, but giving me a DL wasn't something she could do. thankfully the old fart who did the inspection didn't even look at the car let alone inside - i was afraid he was going to make me change my dash display.

k

We have been waiting for a California ID for my wife for almost 4 months. First they told us 60 days. After that they said 90 days. Now they told us we have to wait at least 120 days before anything can be done because USCIS has a lot of work to do.

I'm just about ready to give up and ask for my money back. That will probably get action.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

My opinion of the DMV is far from flattering. First off I went in with my marriage certificate, valid I-94 and all the receipts and paperwork from USCIS, and they told me that the I-94 didn't have enough time on it before it expires (you only get 90 :ranting: days, people!!!).

Now we are all waiting for the AOS because the DMV had us jumping through hoops for nothing. They didn't take the NOA for the AOS, they didn't take the I-94 when it was valid, or the marriage certificate or anything their website said they accept, so maybe it's just CA or maybe we picked the crappiest office in the whole of Los Angeles, it's anybody's guess.

All I can recommend is make a note of everybody you talk to, when you talked to them, and copies of everything you sent. Because they are not the smartest cookies in the jar they will likely fob you off just to make you leave, then do what they did to us and lose the paperwork for reasons we can only assume included not wanting to deal with it.

Now, it's not that I am bitter or anything but I can't get an ID, and therefore can't get driving lessons and therefore can't get to drive my very awsome car.

And the funniest part, if you can call it funny? the DMV guy thought he was so awsome and helpful he gave us his full name so we could write to Mr Arnie the Terminator so the governor could get to know how wonderful the DMV are.

:ranting::ranting:

Note I didn't send the letter. I kinda forgot. :P

2005 August 27th Happily Married

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

well you got lucky. i've tried 2 offices and wasn't able to get mine. the lady at the 2nd office was nice enough to help me out with a few things when i gave my car to the hubby yesterday so i could get it registered, but giving me a DL wasn't something she could do. thankfully the old fart who did the inspection didn't even look at the car let alone inside - i was afraid he was going to make me change my dash display.

k

Kim,

If you have SSN you should be able to get drivers license with your Canadian passport. Check DMV page about legal presence requirements. I even printed it and took with me to show them that Canadians with SSN are eligible to get CA driver license

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

AOS TIMELINE

10/27/06 Mailed I-485 and I765 to Chicago

11/07/06 Checks cashed

11/09/06 Received NOA1 for both EAD and AOS in the mail

11/13/06 Received a letter for Biometrics appointment

11/15/06 Received e-mail that RFE has been mailed yesterday

11/21/06 Biometrics appointment

12/04/06 Sent RFE back

12/08/06 RFE accepted in Lee's Summit - USPS confirmation

12/12/06 RFE recorded on file by USCIS

12/13/06 Touched

12/18/06 Touched again

12/26/06 Received Interview letter dated Dec 19

01/20/07 EAD file touched

01/24/07 EAD approved and card production ordered - received 3 e-mails!

01/24/07 AOS file touched

01/26/07 EAD touched, 3 e-mails received that the approval notice has been mailed

01/30/07 EAD Card Received by Mail

02/07/07 AOS Interview, approved pending FBI name check

04/27/07 Received E-Mail "Welcome New Resident"

04/30/07 Received E-Mail "Card Production Ordered"

05/01/07 Received Welcome Letter in mail

05/07/07 Green card received in the mail!

01/28/09 Mailed I-751 application.

01/30/09 Check already cleared! In two days!

02/03/09 Received NOA - Letter of extension dated 01/29/09

02/11/09 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 02/24/09

02/24/09 Biometrics Appointment Completed.

04/01/09 Inforpass appointment- got I-551 stamp in my passport

04/11/09 Approval Letter received - dated 04/07/09

05/06/09 E-mail "Card Production Ordered" received

06/01/09 10 Year Green Card Received!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We went yesterday with NOA1 for AOS and our marriage certificate in California and they said we couldn't do anything (not even an ID) before we have the NOA2 for AOS... so they need their greencard to get anything. It's very frustrating!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
My opinion of the DMV is far from flattering. First off I went in with my marriage certificate, valid I-94 and all the receipts and paperwork from USCIS, and they told me that the I-94 didn't have enough time on it before it expires (you only get 90 :ranting: days, people!!!).

Now we are all waiting for the AOS because the DMV had us jumping through hoops for nothing. They didn't take the NOA for the AOS, they didn't take the I-94 when it was valid, or the marriage certificate or anything their website said they accept, so maybe it's just CA or maybe we picked the crappiest office in the whole of Los Angeles, it's anybody's guess.

All I can recommend is make a note of everybody you talk to, when you talked to them, and copies of everything you sent. Because they are not the smartest cookies in the jar they will likely fob you off just to make you leave, then do what they did to us and lose the paperwork for reasons we can only assume included not wanting to deal with it.

Now, it's not that I am bitter or anything but I can't get an ID, and therefore can't get driving lessons and therefore can't get to drive my very awsome car.

And the funniest part, if you can call it funny? the DMV guy thought he was so awsome and helpful he gave us his full name so we could write to Mr Arnie the Terminator so the governor could get to know how wonderful the DMV are.

:ranting::ranting:

Note I didn't send the letter. I kinda forgot. :P

Hello WifeOHunkyJohn,

You don't mention anywhere about having applied for and received a social security card. Although the DMV employee may not have mentioned it, a SSN is typically required in order to obtain a CA DL or ID card. That may have been the "real" problem.

If you have an original valid passport , valid I-94, and marriage certificate, you should be given a DL or ID without any problem.

I assume your I-94 has expired by now, so you will have to wait until you receive EAD.

Edited by thai2luv

K1 Timeline:

12-22-05 I-129F mailed to CSC

12-27-05 USCIS receives I-129f

01-03-06 NOA1 by mail

03-14-06 NOA2 Case Approved

03-21-06 NVC sent case to BKK

03-27-06 BKK Embassy email "no record of my case"

03-27-06 NVC approval letter rcvd

03-30-06 BKK Embassy confirms case by email

03-31-06 Fiancee Medical passed

04-07-06 Packet 3 rcvd

04-20-06 Packet 4 rcvd

05-26-06 Interview 730am VISA APPROVED!!!

05-30-06 Pick up Visa 3pm

06-16-06 Arrived in USA POE LAX

07-05-06 Applied for SS Card

08-18-06 Married

AOS Timeline:

10-13-06 Mailed AOS packet

10-16-06 AOS rcvd CHI lockbox

10-25-06 AOS Touched

11-04-06 Biometrics Appt

01-09-07 AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

01-10-07 email Welcome letter sent

01-09-07 email AP approved

01-12-07 email EAD approved

01-16-07 Welcome letter rcvd in the mail

01-18-07 EAD card rcvd in the mail

01-23-07 AP approval rcvd in mail

02-05-07 GreenCard in mail

03-07-07 Vacation in Thailand

03-15-07 Traditional Thai wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

CA DMV needs an EAD or Greencard. NOA1 will not suffice. Based on experience. Otherwise they will issue ID, license, or permit valid only as long as the I-94 is.

Lucky for US back in the day we got our EAD on the same day we applied based on old in person filing rules.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi!

My husband and i went to DMV to get me a california drivers license yesterday and were told that i couldn't get one as my I-94 for my K1 expires January 13, and that i'd need further evidence from immigration that i had extended my stay. We are in the process of submitting the AOS paperwork and want to know when we can expect to get any document that would be sufficient to get a drivers license. Surely we don't have to wait until i have a green card to get the license. I already have a SSN, which was very easy to get.

I was told at DMV that i could continue to drive on my UK license in the meantime but when we went to add me to my husbands insurance (AAA) as his spouse they actually ended up excluding me instead because i don't have a CA license or permit! So now i can't drive at all. Has anyone had similar problems in CA? Any advice?

Thanks

becky

Becky,

The DMV employee is wrong. So long as your I-94 is valid, you may apply for a CA drivers license. I am assuming you have a SSN, passport, and marriage certificate. Print out this link showing the requirements:

and bring it with you to the DMV, along with your SSN, valid I-94, passport,and marriage certificate.

You shouldn't have any problem. If the employee is difficult, ask for his/her superior and go from there.

rgds,

K1 Timeline:

12-22-05 I-129F mailed to CSC

12-27-05 USCIS receives I-129f

01-03-06 NOA1 by mail

03-14-06 NOA2 Case Approved

03-21-06 NVC sent case to BKK

03-27-06 BKK Embassy email "no record of my case"

03-27-06 NVC approval letter rcvd

03-30-06 BKK Embassy confirms case by email

03-31-06 Fiancee Medical passed

04-07-06 Packet 3 rcvd

04-20-06 Packet 4 rcvd

05-26-06 Interview 730am VISA APPROVED!!!

05-30-06 Pick up Visa 3pm

06-16-06 Arrived in USA POE LAX

07-05-06 Applied for SS Card

08-18-06 Married

AOS Timeline:

10-13-06 Mailed AOS packet

10-16-06 AOS rcvd CHI lockbox

10-25-06 AOS Touched

11-04-06 Biometrics Appt

01-09-07 AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

01-10-07 email Welcome letter sent

01-09-07 email AP approved

01-12-07 email EAD approved

01-16-07 Welcome letter rcvd in the mail

01-18-07 EAD card rcvd in the mail

01-23-07 AP approval rcvd in mail

02-05-07 GreenCard in mail

03-07-07 Vacation in Thailand

03-15-07 Traditional Thai wedding

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi!

Thanks

becky

Becky,

The DMV employee is wrong. So long as your I-94 is valid, you may apply for a CA drivers license. I am assuming you have a SSN, passport, and marriage certificate. Print out this link showing the requirements:

and bring it with you to the DMV, along with your SSN, valid I-94, passport,and marriage certificate.

You shouldn't have any problem. If the employee is difficult, ask for his/her superior and go from there.

rgds,

California doesn't accept your I-94 if it is going to expire in less than 60 days. It's tough because you need the SS number but if that takes too long you have no chance to get anything fron the DMV.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Hello WifeOHunkyJohn,

You don't mention anywhere about having applied for and received a social security card. Although the DMV employee may not have mentioned it, a SSN is typically required in order to obtain a CA DL or ID card. That may have been the "real" problem.

If you have an original valid passport , valid I-94, and marriage certificate, you should be given a DL or ID without any problem.

I assume your I-94 has expired by now, so you will have to wait until you receive EAD.

I got the SS card as soon as we could after we were married and took it with us to get the ID. Didn't get us anywhere, and we are still waiting for the ID to be approved.

To say I am annoyed is an understatement. But I just keep reminding myself that when I get the GC and the ID and the Driving Licence (in that order), I will look back on all these small technical hiccups and laugh.

Sigh

2005 August 27th Happily Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.