Gar9

Birth & Marriage Certificates for Senior Citizen Parents in India

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

As far as their current medications you can certainly cost those out at your local pharmacy.

It is inevitable that as we get older then there comes a point when medical costs start mounting.

Medical Insurance goes up exponentially with age. What is available depends on the State you live in.

No matter what happens at the Consulate you need as their sponsor a plan as to how you will deal with both emergencies and the inevitable long term care costs.

==============================================================================================

Regarding the current medication , can one buy these with the generic names from the local pharmacy in US ? Can I use medical prescription from India to buy the medications or otherwise one has to have a prescription from the Local US doctor only ? Thanks in advance .

===============================================================================================

Edited by Gar9

Timeline

About the affidavits - they should be fine. The consulate in India knows that people your parents' age may not have birth certificates or marriage certificates. It just wasn't done back in the day - the COs see it all the time. The CO may ask for the "No Records Available" report. You'd just need to risk it with only the affidavits if you can't find a way to get them pro-actively. Can you hire an agent to get them? [Yeah, I know, they may just milk you for tons of money and not even get the records, but you may luck out and get a decent agent].

As to the medical insurance, given when you filed for the IR5s it may be a bit of a ####### shoot on how to handle it. Because the ACA exchanges are supposed to open in 2014 you may be able to argue that a 180day short term policy through one of your state's Blue Cross/Blue Shield may be all that can be committed to [and the CO may buy that argument] but the truth of the matter is even after the exchanges open there is no guarantee of "affordable" insurance. Given your parents' ages and pre-existing conditions I wouldn't be surprised if their monthly premiums are greater than $3k. Remember that the ACA is making insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions but not necessarily capping costs [some of this is still be hashed out].

You need to think about worse case scenarios - their med issues may be controlled by scripts - great. But, a heart attack and emergency bypass here will cost easily greater than $100k. And, in that scenario, you can't just plop them on a plane back to India to get affordable care. On the other hand, something like a hip replacement or knee replacement you could totally have it done in India for a fraction of the cost...

Just something to do a little homework on. Call around to local insurance companies, see what you can find out. Also, you can just chance it, the CO may not bring it up.

==============================================================================================

Our case is presently at the USCIS (I-130) stage and therefore the affidavits should be acceptable to USCIS , where one has no opportunity to explain anything face to face . A reply (with affidavits etc.) has to be sent to USCIS in response to an RFE .

In case USCIS is not satisfied with our reply to RFE , will they send another RFE for more clarification from our side or otherwise they will simply reject our case . Can one have an opportunity to meet & explain to some USCIS official ?

Thanks

======================================================================================================

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not know.

MY GUESS

US seems to have 2 types of prescription drugs, ones that with refills and ones that do not.

I would assume that a US Doctors prescription will be needed, presumably you will want them registered with a local clinic anyway.

Presumably these sorts of drugs require regular review.

What drugs are available and whether generic drugs would do, well that would be a medical call.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Let me tell you what we did for our parents. For wedding: There were three witness at Musicality office for sign the documents. One is mom's friend, second one is my mom's cousin and third one is my dad's older brother. Immigration did not ask for the relationship between witness and our family; because there were some old black and white wedding pics. Also they know this is really old documents to retrieve from government.

For birth certificate: We made affidavit at musicality office. My dad was 60 years at that time and mom was 55. My uncle (Mom’s brother) is the one who applied for us. So we collated so many documents to prove that my mom related to my uncle (Immigration only care about that). Which is property will (which will show, my mom’s mom name, her dad’s name, all siblings name including my uncle’s name who applied for my mother), Pics old and new, marriage certificate shows my dad’s name there so we also provided our birth certificate which will shows my mom’s name and dad’s name there. We got everything that will prove relationships between mom and uncle. Nobody questioned about witness. Best of Luck. I hope, it is a little help for you.

If anything else come-up let me know.

Hi Anvi !

Our case is presently at the USCIS (I-130 processing) stage and therefore the affidavits/documents should be acceptable to USCIS , where one has no opportunity to explain anything face to face . Presently a reply (with affidavits etc.) has to be sent to USCIS in response to an RFE .

In case USCIS is not satisfied with our reply to RFE , will they send another RFE for more clarification from our side or otherwise they will simply reject our case . Can one have an opportunity to meet & explain to some USCIS official ?

Thanks

======================================================================================================

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Yes, you can speak face-to-face with USCIS by making an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office. Did you provide a cover letter explaining what you sent and why you chose those specific items?

As you have already sent in the affidavits in response to the RFE, you'll need to wait and see what happens. I believe [and someone else may be able to comment more knowingly] that you are only given the one chance to respond.

Timeline

Non-availability of parents’ civil marriage certificate (I-130 Processing by USCIS)

Parents were married about 40 years ago and their marriage was not registered / recorded in government records at that time , as it was not mandatory / compulsory . Can the marriage be registered now , with the same date of marriage ( 40 years ago ) , in the office of “Registrar of Marriages” ? Will such a (belated) marriage certificate be acceptable by USCIS for (I-130) processing ? Suggestions are welcome .

Moreover , the office of “Registrar of Marriages” is not willing to issue a “No Records Available” certificate for the 40 years old back period , as they say that it is not possible to check old records – which practically seems to be true ( in my opinion ) .

Suggestions are welcome :help: . Thanks in advance .

=======================================================================================

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Non-availability of parents’ civil marriage certificate (I-130 Processing by USCIS)

Parents were married about 40 years ago and their marriage was not registered / recorded in government records at that time , as it was not mandatory / compulsory . Can the marriage be registered now , with the same date of marriage ( 40 years ago ) , in the office of “Registrar of Marriages” ? Will such a (belated) marriage certificate be acceptable by USCIS for (I-130) processing ? Suggestions are welcome .

Moreover , the office of “Registrar of Marriages” is not willing to issue a “No Records Available” certificate for the 40 years old back period , as they say that it is not possible to check old records – which practically seems to be true ( in my opinion ) .

Hi, My advise to you is if it is possible register the marriage.

If not so go to the higher authority to get in written the "NO record available"the same thing happened with me i was not having my birth certificate so i went to get it from NDMC Delhi they said they will check the records and the records were not found and they refuse to register the birth and refuse to give me NON availability of birth certificate i went to the senior officer but she said its 2 years now we have stopped issuing "NON availability document".Even then i tried my best to get it and then i went to the NDMC head office to meet the higher officer(head of department)i spent half a day in wait to meet him and finally got chance to meet him when i told him about my problem and told him that i have all the documents to prove me then he ordered that issue the NON availability document to me and i got it with in three days.

so go and fight for it and approach the senior officer(head of the department) when they will order the lower department then they will check the records. AND if they disturb get advise from the lawyer.

=======================================================================================

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Get the marriage certificate, even if its registered very late. Then get two relatives to write affidavit attesting to the marriage, relatives such as grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc works. Laslt, write an explainat ion letter saying it was not customary to register marriage at the time of their marriage so that's why it was registered late and as sebondary evidence you have included affidavit .

IR-5 - for Mom
------------
08/27/2012 - Sent Application
08/28/2012 - NOA1 date
08/31/2012 - Received email from USCIS saying the package is accepted
09/11/2012 - Received a letter saying case transferred Lee's Summit, MO
02/15/2013 - Received an email saying case is approved
02/22/2013 - I-130 NOA2 hard copy received

NVC Journey
--------------
02/18/2013 - NVC received the case
03/11/2013 - NVC case # assigned
03/12/2013 - Petitioners' email corrected, Beneficiary's email added
03/13/2013 - DS3032 received
03/13/2013 - DS3032 email sent (was sent before the we received the DS3032)
03/13/2013 - AOS fee invoiced and Paid (shows In Progress)
03/14/2013 - AOS fee shows PAID
03/14/2013 - AOS package sent (overnight next-day delivery)
03/15/2013 - AOS package delivered to NVC on 03/15/2013 at 10:06:00
03/19/2013 - Re-sent DS-3032 email with Supervisor Review on subject
03/21/2013 - DS-3032 accepted
03/22/2013 - IV fee invoiced and paid
03/25/2013 - IV fee shows PAID
03/25/2013 - IV package sent (overnight next-day delivery)
03/26/2013 - IV package delivered to NVC on 03/26/2013 at 10:04am
03/27/2013 - AOS accepted
04/08/2013 - IV checklist found out by phone - NVC lost our marriage certificate sad.png
04/09/2013 - IV checklist email received
04/16/2013 - IV Checklist response mailed - new Marriage Certificate

04/16/2013 - Case Complete (they found our first marriage certificate during supervisor review??)
04/17/2013 - NVC received IV Checklist response
04/23/2013 - Case Complete email from NVC

05/13/2013 - Medical

06/03/2013 - Interview

Thank you God!!!!

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Same happened for my parents too. They got married in 1965 and it was not registered. I got an RFE from USCIS for this. The Registrar will not give you any not available certificate. So I went to the notary and got a letter saying that we tried and the Registrar officer was not willing to get such a letter. This marriage was done according to hindu culture in front of a hindu priest on this date (put the exact date of marriage here). And then I got two affidavits from my two aunties who were personally present at my parents wedding. And i also send black and white photos of their marriage taken 49 years back. Sent all this for RFE Response to USCIS and its been 3 weeks now and I still did not hear anything from USCIS. The RFE response is under review stage for my parents now.

Timeline

Same happened for my parents too. They got married in 1965 and it was not registered. I got an RFE from USCIS for this. The Registrar will not give you any not available certificate. So I went to the notary and got a letter saying that we tried and the Registrar officer was not willing to get such a letter. This marriage was done according to hindu culture in front of a hindu priest on this date (put the exact date of marriage here). And then I got two affidavits from my two aunties who were personally present at my parents wedding. And i also send black and white photos of their marriage taken 49 years back. Sent all this for RFE Response to USCIS and its been 3 weeks now and I still did not hear anything from USCIS. The RFE response is under review stage for my parents now.

====================================================================================================

Hi !

Thanks for your response. Would like to know if there was any marriage photograph(s), showing your parents together with their clear faces visible .

Also please post the final outcome later .

Good Luck

====================================================================================================

Timeline

=======================================================================================================

Hi !

Sorry to bother you again . Could you please tell as to how got your parents BIRTH Certificates , which is more problematic .

It is not possible to get a NABC ( non-availability of birth certificate ) . When it is clearly known ( to USCIS also ) that in India it was not mandatory to register birth before 1970 , then why USCIS want an NABC . Whether the birth was registered 50-60 years ago or not , the Municpality offical must trace out those old records and check hundreds of pages . Who will take pains to do that ? Whai the importance of NABC ( for USCIS ) , when the petitioner himself is declaring that it was not registerd . Why should then USCIS must insist for NABC ?

Your views on this , and how did you solve this problem . Thanks in advance .

=======================================================================================================

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.