Babar

Status empty after Advisory Opinion for J1 Visa sent to Department of State

11 posts in this topic

Filed: I-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I sent an advisory opinion to the department of State regarding my J 1 Visa.

However, my status bar on their website is empty after I enter my case number.

I sent the documents about 10 days ago.

Does anyone knows if that's normal ?

I know it takes 4-6 weeks to process but I thought I would have a "current status" on their website once they received it.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: J-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello Barbar, can you please tell me where do I get a case number? I just sent in my advisory opinion request but I do not know I can check my status online?? Very confused!

Timeline

Hello Barbar, can you please tell me where do I get a case number? I just sent in my advisory opinion request but I do not know I can check my status online?? Very confused!

The case number is written on your advisory request application (the application they give you after you fill ou the forms online for the request).

You can check your status at: http://j1visawaiverstatus.state.gov/ by entering your case number.

Are subject to the 2-year reseidency rule based on your J1 - DS-2019 ?

If not, You should actually be fine.

It's always good to have a confirmation from the DOS but it takes forever... I sent mine more than 6 weeks ago and still did not get anything.

Timeline

Thanks Babar but my case is a little bit different I think as this is back from when I got my J1 visa in 2001 so I had IAP-66 issued to me. I am not planning to apply for a J1 waiver though as I am pretty sure I am not subject to the 2 year home residency and the stamp on my visa was a mistake. So I only sent in a request for an advisory opinion. I do not want to start the J1 waiver application because I do not want to the waiver application fee for nothing. Do you think I miss something here?

Timeline

If got your J1 back in 2001, wether you were subject or not to the 2-year residency rule does not change anything. It's been more than 2 years since anyway.

The question is: what is your status now ? Are you currently living in the US or in the UK ?

Timeline

I am not in the US but plan to apply for my L-1 visa soon. Long story short a US lawyer advised me that they are pretty confident I am not subject to this rule. I just sent in a request for an advisory opinion yesterday but as I did not apply for a waiver I guess that's why I dont have a case number, correct? Because I can see that's the only way to get a case number. And you have been waiting for more than a month now for a status update? Hmm...I thought it would be a bit quicker and thought when they said 4-6 weeks turn around time is just an estimate. I guess I have to expect a long wait like your case then, especially I dont even have a case number to check my status online.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone,

I sent an advisory opinion to the department of State regarding my J 1 Visa.

However, my status bar on their website is empty after I enter my case number.

I sent the documents about 10 days ago.

Does anyone knows if that's normal ?

I know it takes 4-6 weeks to process but I thought I would have a "current status" on their website once they received it.

Hi Babar,

I think your case is similar to mine. I have sent my package to request for advisory opinion 2 weeks ago. However, there is no status information on their website regarding my case number.

I'm wondering if you have received any result so far? Thanks!

• 10 years later...
Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have the same situation but mine is already 9 weeks and theres no update when i enter my case number. I have emailed 212e waiver like 2 weeks ago but still no reply😩

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.