amanda23

is this true? marriage with out k1

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As long as when the other person pays a visit here WITHOUT ANY INTENTION TO MARRY, then you can go with the option of Adjusting the Status (AOS) after the wedding.

This is a very incorrect statement. You can have all the intent you want to marry. It's the intent to marry and immigrate that people are stating as visa fraud.

many couples marry and the immigrant goes back to their country and waits out the process.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Maybe others can correct me but you should be able to move to the UK, marry him there and apply for a CR-1 (visa for married persons), right? That way you could be together until you move to the US. This would be ok from the perspective of US law I think but might be a UK issue, I don't know. There is a forum for just UK citizens marrying US citizens, search for that I am sure they can help you on the details of US/UK law.

Britain also has a process for getting the equivalent of a resident's visa (called "leave to remain"). It's a shorter process, but you are scrutinised just as thoroughly and you are vetted for financial stability as you are unable to take advantage of social security for a minimum period. What you CAN do, is to visit the UK for a period of up to 6 months (that's 3 months longer than the US visitor visa).

Given that you wish to live in America, you have two options in front of you:-

1. File for a fiance visa (K1)

2. Next time your fiance visits, get married and have him return to Britain and file a spouse visa (CR1)

It would be inappropriate and illegal for him to come to the US on a visitor visa (VWP), marry and attempt to adjust status and stay. The lawyer has given you advice that she thinks you want to hear. Once she receives your money she doesn't care if your fiance is deported and gets a lifetime ban. YOU do, so do it properly. If you're going to spend a lifetime together (and that's the intent of marriage) then waiting a year to be together is a relatively small chunk of time. Meanwhile, both of you start saving so you have a financial cushion once you are able to legally live together.

Best of luck to you. :)

Edited by Brit Abroad

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is a violation of the Terms of Service for Visa Journey for any member to advocate or support illegal immigration activities or immigration fraud. Several posts advocating immigration fraud have been removed. Any more posts violating this TOS will also be removed and the poster thread-banned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Moderator's hat off ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amanda,

We all know what it is like to meet that special someone and want to get married. We all know what it is like to want to be together NOW and get on with our lives together. Unfortunately, when you meet someone from a foreign country, the relationship doesn't proceed like the one with the boy or girl 'next door'. A third party enters your relationship - USCIS (immigration) - and unfortunately, they will play a far bigger role in the first years of your life as a couple than anyone of us wants and none of us adequately anticipates.

You don't want to fool around with any immigration rules or officials. They have the ability to make your life extremely uncomfortable or unhappy. Instead of trying to find a way to 'break' the rules and pretend this is a 'normal' relationship, you will be further ahead to learn all you can about the immigration process. You really have to think of the long-term picture here, not just the immediate gratification of the present (oh yes, we all want that too!). The K-1 is only the start of a multiple year immigration journey and there are potential road blocks or problems for the uninformed. The more you know about the process involved, the more likely you will be to have a smooth journey. A smooth journey is also usually the fastest.

A lawyer is not always necessary, and a lawyer who gives you advice such as the one you quoted, is a liability who may end up getting you into a situation where you put your future happiness at risk. As mentioned above, she is telling you what you want to hear, but she is not telling you the truth, and that is a disturbing fact. Of course, she won't be the one experiencing the consequences of immigration fraud it if comes back to haunt you. You may get away with it, it's true - but there is no statute of limitation on immigration fraud. It can come back to haunt you any time for the rest of your lives, even after your partner becomes a citizen.

If this is the man you love and with whom you want to spend the rest of your life, then he is obviously important enough to you for you to do the right thing and follow the legal immigration process.

None of us want to be separated from our loved ones and we all wish this process were faster and more efficient. But, in the end, by doing it the 'right' way we can all rest assured that USCIS isn't going to come back and haunt us in the future.

Please read up on the various processes involved, including the K-1. There are responsibilities you as the US citizen must fulfill (including financial sponsorship) and there are criteria the foreign partner must satisfy - (security, medicals, interview, etc.). The more you know, the more you will be in control of the situation and the better you will be able to cope with the challenges. Experiencing an immigration journey with a loved one is not for the weak of heart.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is a very incorrect statement. You can have all the intent you want to marry. It's the intent to marry and immigrate that people are stating as visa fraud.

many couples marry and the immigrant goes back to their country and waits out the process.

I agree. I was not that clear by not mentioning the "migration" part.

** We met unexpectedly while I was traveling in the US, got married and filed for AOS **

(AOS)

03.13.2013 - Mailed forms I-130, I-765 and I-485

03.23.2013 - Received NOA's for all three forms; all dated March 21; signed up for USCIS online case status update

03.28.2013 - Received Biometrics appointment for April 16; NOA dated March 26

04.16.2013 - Biometrics taken (No sweat! Only 1 person was before me)

05.01.2013 - Received email for update of case status that it's either scheduled or in line to be scheduled for the interview

05.03.2013 - Received letter for AOS interview appointment for June 7; letter dated April 29

05.23.2013 - EAD approval (email received and USCIS online case status indicated that card is already in production)

05.30.2013 - Received email that card has been mailed today

06.03.2013 - Received EAD in the mail (did not apply for AP since there is no immediate plans of traveling outside US)

06.07.2013 - AOS interview done. APPROVED!

06.13.2013 - Welcome letter received/approval of both I-485 and I-130. Also, got an update that GC is already in the mail.

06.15.2013 - Received GC in the mail!! ?

(Removal of Conditional Status)

05.01.2015 - Sent I-751 packet to California Service Center

05.07.2015 - Received NOA confirming receipt of packet

05.20.2015 - Received biometrics schedule

06.01.2015 - Biometrics taken

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.