Penny Lane

Murders fall 42 percent in America's deadliest city: Chicago

384 posts in this topic

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1364929220' post='6113202]

Your dictionary looking up skills are extraordinary.

Man spent a lot of time on that research paper, don't be hatin.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

According to you and Wikipedia only.

it is also derogatory when used towards another member on this site. says me.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Don't you know that you can be as offensive as you'd like, unless it MIGHT be directed at someone here? Get with the program!

Why wait? Take last summer's statistics and use those. It'll be the same.

One or two months does not a year make..

My link

Only eight days into 2013, Chicago is already on a grim pace to not only continue the bloody trend of an elevated homicide rate -- but to surpass it.

NBC Chicago pointed out that, as of Sunday, 12 people had been murdered in Chicago this year, which, at a rate of two a day, but the city on a pace for a devastating 730 homicides, higher than any one-year murder total in Chicago since 1997.

By comparison, New York City has logged seven murders through Jan. 7, its first of the year on Jan. 3. Detroit had six homicides this year through Sunday, according to NBC.

Since Sunday, a 24-year-old male was fatally shot around 6 a.m. Tuesday in the 4000 block of West Wilcox Street in the city's East Garfield Park neighborhood, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. Per DNAinfo Chicago, the victim's name has not yet been released pending the notification of his family.

At least eight other people were wounded in non-fatal shootings concentrated on the city's south and west sides between Monday evening and Tuesday morning.

Chicago's homicide rate has already grabbed a number of national headlines in the new year. It was the subject of two features on NPR's Morning Edition this week, including a Monday segment that featured Alex Kotlowitz, "There Are No Children Here" author and "The Interrupters" director, and a Tuesday segment exploring how the city's gun laws impact its crime rate. The New York Times last Thursday ran an analysis on the city's homicide rate on its front page.

On the heels of the negative publicity, Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy on Tuesday announced their new plans for the city's CAPS community policing program which they described as a revitalization that will help deter crime.

According to NBC, the program's resources will be decentralized moving forward allowing strategies to be tailored more effectively to each specific police district. Each district will be assigned a CAPS sergeant, plus two police officers, a community organizer and a youth services provider.

McCarthy on Tuesday also pointed out that the city's police force has already confiscated 180 guns in the new year.

Last year, 506 homicides were logged in Chicago, only 25 percent of which were either solved, as of Friday, or cleared "exceptionally," according to DNAinfo. McCarthy blamed the low clearance rate rate on a pervasive "no-snitch code." Chicago police union president Michael Shields blamed an understaffed and overwhelmed city detective division.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1364937469' post='6113606]

charles is such a little #####.

he can't ban hammer me for that since he doens't even know what i said.

he can guess, though.

reported to maven for misspelling.....

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

One or two months does not a year make..

:blink: Well no sh*t. Who said otherwise? I simply posted a story that's showing a positive change from last year. Nobody's claiming the year is going to end that way.

I personally believe beefing up the police presence on the streets AND having after-school and summer programs for youth to be a good thing. But it's in Chicago, so let's ignore that part of the story and focus on the weather.

Edited by Evylin

:blink: Well no sh*t. Who said otherwise? I simply posted a story that's showing a positive change from last year. Nobody's claiming the year is going to end that way.

I personally believe beefing up the police presence on the streets AND having after-school and summer programs for youth to be a good thing. But it's in Chicago, so let's ignore that part of the story and focus on the weather.

We will see. I personally think it will get worse. If Chicago got better we would not be able wot whip out"see how about Chicago"any more. I don't like using D.C. as an example. L.A. is way to trendy.. There is always Philly and Baltimore.

For now Chicago is my go to city for "see what liberals create."

We will see. I personally think it will get worse. If Chicago got better we would not be able wot whip out"see how about Chicago"any more. I don't like using D.C. as an example. L.A. is way to trendy.. There is always Philly and Baltimore.

For now Chicago is my go to city for "see what liberals create."

I, too, hope for more violence. Let the bloodbath continue.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Of course one of the illusions is thinking progress is being made when in fact actions were taken to make it less possible that crime can take place.

Now right here in Good ole Charlotte we had a running gun battle down town right before the DNC arrived for their convention.

Now you know the last thing the city fathers wanted was for something like that to break out during that week of the convention so the downtown turned into a fortress with cops posted everywhere... and of course no major out break happened.

Was it because "we made progress" or because we spent enough money to insure it "could not happen'?

This is one reason why crime statistics are often not as telling of criminality as we might assume.

SOme ares there are bars on the windows and nothing is left about to be stolen, people lock their cars and even put extensive locks on storm doors.

I was at one residence a few months ago where the A/C unit was actually chained to the cement pad due to theft. (for scrap metal)

In another area people don't bother to lock their doors half the time and leave bikes, lawn mowers and garages open all night.

Can we really compare the likelihood of crime in these areas by simply counting "incidents of theft?

When we put 25% more police on the streets in an area and the crime drops... can we really credit midnight basketball?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think Darnell feels left out and blames you for it AJ.

Darnell, surely you can round up your own group of Hillbilly Pirates and give us a run for our money, Aye??

Apologies, I never run with krewes. And that's ok !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

It would be much more fun to have two rival gangs pitted against each other in P&R. We could even wear costumes and stuff, course nobody would see them, but at least the thought would be there.

OK - that's genuinely funny. I laughed a bit , picturing me and my Hillbilly Krewe wearing our matching outfits with matching spittoons and matching underbritches. Something straight out of one of my videogames, Redneck Roundup.

whew.

No. Sorry, O Teddy - I don't run with krewes.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !