Penny Lane

Murders fall 42 percent in America's deadliest city: Chicago

384 posts in this topic

:innocent:

It's sad that you try to have a decent conversation with someone and it devolves into a name calling contest. I think conceal and carry is good under the right circumstances. But I think any high crime area needs to have other issues fixed before you give everyone the right to have a gun.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's sad that you try to have a decent conversation with someone and it devolves into a name calling contest. I think conceal and carry is good under the right circumstances. But I think any high crime area needs to have other issues fixed before you give everyone the right to have a gun.

I had a pistol once. It was a .380 auto that I had no idea how to use. I didn't realize that when you pulled the slide back to eject the bullet in the chamber, that if you had the clip/magazine (whatever the #### it is) in the pistol, it would put another one in the chamber. Boy was I surprised when I pulled the trigger. Lucky someone isn't dead over that, including myself. I ended up giving the thing away and stuck to my shotgun.

But I don't need no stinking training!

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Timeline

That is how you know you are getting under his skin, much like you can with a few other posters and their dire predictions about the consequences of climate change that never seem to materialize.

I had a pistol once. It was a .380 auto that I had no idea how to use. I didn't realize that when you pulled the slide back to eject the bullet in the chamber, that if you had the clip/magazine (whatever the #### it is) in the pistol, it would put another one in the chamber. Boy was I surprised when I pulled the trigger. Lucky someone isn't dead over that, including myself. I ended up giving the thing away and stuck to my shotgun.

But I don't need no stinking training!

Glad no one was hurt, including you. I've had training on a few weapons, my favorite has to be the M16A2 rifle. I feel more comfortable using that weapon rather the 9mm I had to use when I was part of ASF.

That is how you know you are getting under his skin, much like you can with a few other posters and their dire predictions about the consequences of climate change that never seem to materialize.

Sadly enough, I try not to. Just hate the way certain things are thrown around here.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Sadly enough, I try not to. Just hate the way certain things are thrown around here.

It is more of a gladiatorial forum than an intellectual debate. Ideas do not matter as much as inflicting emotional wounds. With that being the way politics is conducted on the public stage, why shouldn't it also happen here in a public forum.

It is more of a gladiatorial forum than an intellectual debate. Ideas do not matter as much as inflicting emotional wounds. With that being the way politics is conducted on the public stage, why shouldn't it also happen here in a public forum.

Because if we can find a solution that reduces the loss of life, I would take that over name calling any day.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Because if we can find a solution that reduces the loss of life, I would take that over name calling any day.

The solutions are always out there, however a very selfish and vocal minority doesn't like this solution, much like any of a multitude of other issues that affect our lives.

Edited by The Patriot

The solutions are always out there, however a very selfish and vocal minority doesn't like this solution, much like any of a multitude of other issues that affects our lives.

So true, and sad at the same time.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Fine let's get back on topic. let's talk about the fall to 42% of murders, no where does it say anything about guns at all. It also says some positive things about the police force and summer job programs.

I think it's a great thing that there is a change there, your move.

Last weekend:

Twenty-five people were wounded in gun violence over the weekend in Chicago amid news that the city’s homicide rate in March was down 69 percent from the previous year.

Two of the more than two dozen victims were fatally shot. According to the Chicago Sun-Times, 23-year-old Eugenio Solano was walking in the 1800 block of North Francisco with a 44-year-old man at 8:05 p.m. Friday when a group of three men approached them, asked for directions and opened fire. Solano was shot in the chest and died at the scene, while the other man suffered a non-fatal wound to his hand.

Solano — whom his family described as funny, happy and “a people person” — was gunned down the day before hosting a birthday party for his 4-year-old son, according to DNAinfo Chicago.

Police say they believe Solano’s fatal shooting was gang-related.

In the weekend’s other fatal shooting in Chicago, 19-year-old Akeem Manago was walking with a 23-year-old man in the 1300 block of West Hastings Street in the city’s Little Italy neighborhood around 1:50 a.m. Sunday, when four males are believed to have approached them and opened fire, the Chicago Tribune reports. Manago was pronounced dead shortly thereafter at Stroger Hospital, while the other man was shot in the leg and last listed in good condition.

Six other men were shot within an hour of the Little Italy shooting, according to the Tribune.

So was it the jobs program or police presence that resulted in 25 people shot last weekend (last weekend was March) in Chicago?

25 shootings per weekend is quite a large jump over 2012. A VERY large one even if there are zero shootings on weekdays. People wounded in shootings don't count?

This thread is, based on the numbers, a discussion of and celebration of nothing. A statistical anomaly due to luck and aim. I do believe that when honest people can soon carry weapons and start to carry them and use them to protect themselves the crime rates will fall but there is certainly no evidence that anything has changed in Chicago, at least as of last weekend.

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

Last weekend:

Twenty-five people were wounded in gun violence over the weekend in Chicago amid news that the city’s homicide rate in March was down 69 percent from the previous year.

Two of the more than two dozen victims were fatally shot. According to the Chicago Sun-Times, 23-year-old Eugenio Solano was walking in the 1800 block of North Francisco with a 44-year-old man at 8:05 p.m. Friday when a group of three men approached them, asked for directions and opened fire. Solano was shot in the chest and died at the scene, while the other man suffered a non-fatal wound to his hand.

Solano — whom his family described as funny, happy and “a people person” — was gunned down the day before hosting a birthday party for his 4-year-old son, according to DNAinfo Chicago.

Police say they believe Solano’s fatal shooting was gang-related.

In the weekend’s other fatal shooting in Chicago, 19-year-old Akeem Manago was walking with a 23-year-old man in the 1300 block of West Hastings Street in the city’s Little Italy neighborhood around 1:50 a.m. Sunday, when four males are believed to have approached them and opened fire, the Chicago Tribune reports. Manago was pronounced dead shortly thereafter at Stroger Hospital, while the other man was shot in the leg and last listed in good condition.

Six other men were shot within an hour of the Little Italy shooting, according to the Tribune.

Why don't you start a thread about it and stop trying to derail this one? Or are you so hell bent on trying to paint a negative picture you need to come here and counter post what the OP has posted?

So was it the jobs program or police presence that resulted in 25 people shot last weekend (last weekend was March) in Chicago?

25 shootings per weekend is quite a large jump over 2012. A VERY large one even if there are zero shootings on weekdays. People wounded in shootings don't count?

This thread is, based on the numbers, a discussion of and celebration of nothing. A statistical anomaly due to luck and aim. I do believe that when honest people can soon carry weapons and start to carry them and use them to protect themselves the crime rates will fall but there is certainly no evidence that anything has changed in Chicago, at least as of last weekend.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Last weekend:

Twenty-five people were wounded in gun violence over the weekend in Chicago amid news that the city's homicide rate in March was down 69 percent from the previous year.

Solano — whom his family described as funny, happy and "a people person" — was gunned down the day before hosting a birthday party for his 4-year-old son, according to DNAinfo Chicago.

Police say they believe Solano's fatal shooting was gang-related.

In the weekend's other fatal shooting in Chicago, 19-year-old Akeem Manago was walking with a 23-year-old man in the 1300 block of West Hastings Street in the city's Little Italy neighborhood around 1:50 a.m. Sunday, when four males are believed to have approached them and opened fire, the Chicago Tribune reports. Manago was pronounced dead shortly thereafter at Stroger Hospital, while the other man was shot in the leg and last listed in good condition.

Darn i was just about to buy some land in the former Cabrini Green area.

Why don't you start a thread about it and stop trying to derail this one? Or are you so hell bent on trying to paint a negative picture you need to come here and counter post what the OP has posted?

The picture was painted on a canvas to which I cannot possibly write.

It is on you to explain whether it was the police presence or the jobs programs that resulted in 25 shootings, of which by luck or chance only 2 were fatal, in Chicago over a single weekend in March, 2013.

This question is definitely and assuredly on topic.

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

It is on you to explain whether it was the police presence or the jobs programs that resulted in 25 shootings, of which by luck or chance only 2 were fatal, in Chicago over a single weekend in March, 2013.

This question is definitely and assuredly on topic.

Well, considering that only two people lost their lives, maybe that's why they say the murders are down. Maybe in a town where death occurs by shooting more than Iraq and Afghanistan, and over half of them are children, someone wanted to give a ray of hope.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=9011925

March 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago murder rates were cut in half for the month of February when compared to the same month in 2012.

"There is a lot of credit to go out. The fact is it is one month. That's progress, it is not victory in any way shape or form- but it is not failure," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said. Fourteen murders were recorded in February 2013, compared to 28 murders in February 2012. Supt. McCarthy isn't attributing the encouraging stats to any one thing.

"It has to do with our strategies, it has to do with our deployment it has to do with our over- time. It has to do with quality of life, enforcement. One of the things that I say constantly is the fact that it is not one thing we do it is everything we do," Supt. McCarthy said.

February's 14 murders were the fewest in Chicago for a month since 1957.

In recent months, Chicago has become the focus of the national gun violence debate. In the month of January, the city counted 43 murders; making it the bloodiest January in a decade.

In January, a visit from the president highlighted the issue after 15-year-old honor roll student Hadiya Pendleton was shot and killed on the South Side. Her father says the numbers are promising, but he's not getting his hopes up.

Some experts believe that President Obama's visit to Chicago to address violence may have helped lower the murder rate significantly in February.

Having the president and first lady here talking about violence brought the issue to a higher level of discourse than there's ever been in the city," Loyola University Chicago Professor Arthur Lurigio said.

Edited by Su and Marvin

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Well, considering that only two people lost their lives, maybe that's why they say the murders are down. Maybe in a town where death occurs by shooting more than Iraq and Afghanistan, and over half of them are children, someone wanted to give a ray of hope.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=9011925

March 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago murder rates were cut in half for the month of February when compared to the same month in 2012.

"There is a lot of credit to go out. The fact is it is one month. That's progress, it is not victory in any way shape or form- but it is not failure," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said. Fourteen murders were recorded in February 2013, compared to 28 murders in February 2012. Supt. McCarthy isn't attributing the encouraging stats to any one thing.

"It has to do with our strategies, it has to do with our deployment it has to do with our over- time. It has to do with quality of life, enforcement. One of the things that I say constantly is the fact that it is not one thing we do it is everything we do," Supt. McCarthy said.

February's 14 murders were the fewest in Chicago for a month since 1957.

In recent months, Chicago has become the focus of the national gun violence debate. In the month of January, the city counted 43 murders; making it the bloodiest January in a decade.

In January, a visit from the president highlighted the issue after 15-year-old honor roll student Hadiya Pendleton was shot and killed on the South Side. Her father says the numbers are promising, but he's not getting his hopes up.

Some experts believe that President Obama's visit to Chicago to address violence may have helped lower the murder rate significantly in February.

Having the president and first lady here talking about violence brought the issue to a higher level of discourse than there's ever been in the city," Loyola University Chicago Professor Arthur Lurigio said.

over half of them are children

Kindly advise: What age defines children?

i don't get it.