talie

I'd like to bring my father back to America

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am sure I will need a lawyer for my fathers case but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback from anyone who can offer me some advice. My father was a permanent resident and living in California for 30 something years. He was put in jail for domestic violence while married to my mother. His permanent resident papers were taken away and he was forced back to Mexico, that is his birth country. He crossed illegally after 2 years of having to live in Mexico. He eventually got caught in San Diego after a couple years and was taken back to Mexico. He was given a 10 year penalty in which I believe means that he could not file immigration paperwork to cross back into the US legally. Out of desperation my father tried to cross the Mexicali, Mexico border illegally and got caught 3 years ago. I'm a US citizen and now in my mid 20s I have the money to be able to petition for my father. I'm just afraid it's too late. How can I figure out what his record looks like? My father is in his late 50s now. He now lives in Tijuana, Mexico. I hate the thought of him living over there by himself. Especially now that he is getting older and someday he will need my help. I have a great relationship with my father and I would love to be able to bring him back. Please help with any advice you can.

Thank you,

Natalie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Was the domestic violence a felony or misdemeanor?

I hope your mom is ok

A website you will want to check out is www.immigrate2us.net

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

is quite possible he can qualify for a waiver, so file the I-130 and see what happens !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

I am not sure if it was a felony or misdemeanor. That is why I'd like to get a look at his record if its possible. My mother is okay thank you :) He actually never hit her. He was taken because he grabbed my mother by the arms pretty hard and sat her down while they were having the argument. This caused bruises on her arms. I saw what happened that day but of course any physical contact is considered domestic violence. I will definitely look at this website for information thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What is your mothers immigration status and is she still married to your father. IF your father could get a hardship waiver he would need someone qualified to file it for him. You , as an adult child are not a qualifying relative. Your mother if still married to him could be. If it was the single deportation he would be eglible, but he was deportated, and has gotten caught 2 times after deportation. That makes things more difficult. The site mentioned earlier immigrate2us.net is kind of like this one but is all about people with issues like your father. They will be able to tell you how much hope you have at getting him here.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like he is 9C with no qualifying relative.

How long has it been since he returned home?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline

Unlawful reentry after deportation is a serious felony with a 5 to 20 year prison term.

It also makes the person ineligible for admission for life.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My mother is no longer married to my father. What other qualifying relatives could it be? Brothers or sisters? I believe the last time he was living here was back in 2004.

Spouse or Parents.

Assuming he is 9C and has a 10 year non waiverable ban it would be up next year.

After 10 years it becomes waiverable but still needs a qualifying relative to file one.

He needs to firstly get all his information together and the consult with a good immigration lawyer so he knows exactly what he is facing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.