ricky and elaine

Don't know what to say!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone! My fiance and I filed a K1 a month ago. We have decided to switch to CR1 mainly because of the ability to travel etc when granted (have an elderly dad in Canada) I am going to see my fiance next week in the US and we are going to get married. I will be coming back home to wait out the process. What do I say I am going to the US for? "Oh we filed a k1 and we are abandoning that and doing a CR1 and I am getting married but coming home?" It sounds too complicated but true!! I know bring proof of ties to Canada which I have many. Isn't the "purpose of visit" question...visiting my fiance?...he does live in Las Vegas!!

I know be honest...but I'm just not sure which way to approach it...And NO I'm not bringing a wedding gown. It will be him and I and Elvis for all I know! lol

1) do i need to say I am visiting during a k1 process?

2) do I need to say I am getting married?

3) should I say we are changing to CR1?

Apr 11/13...married in Las Vegas
Apr 18/13...filed 1-130
Apr 22/13...received notification Noa1

Nov 26/13...218 days transferred from NBC to CSC

Dec 30/13..Notification of approval NOA2

Jan 9/14....Received by NVC

Feb 10/14...Obtained Case#, IIN,BIN#'s

Feb 10/14...sent OPTIN email..received

Feb 15/14...Confirmation for DS261

Feb 20/14...AOS shows PAID

Feb 20/14...Received Document Cover sheet (bar coded)

Feb 28/14.. received OPTIN approval

Feb 28/14...emailed OAS package

Mar 4/14 paid IV Bill

Mar 6/14 submitted DS260

Apr 14/14 Case Complete NVC

Apr 17/14 Received instructions for appt

Apr 21/14 Case sent electronically to Montreal.

May 30/14 appt in Montreal

May 30/14 APPROVED!!! YIPPEE

June 4/14 Passport with Visa in Hand! (quick eh)
Aug 20/14 POE Detroit Bridge

Aug 26/14 received SSN (card)

May 23/16 Filed 1-751 (California)

Nov 26/16 751 Approved 10 yr card on way.

N400

Dec 27/17   Mailed application

Dec 29/18   Priority Date

Jan 4/18     NOA..Fee pd

Jan 24/18   Biometrics

Feb 9/19    N400 Interview in Las Vegas- Approved!!

Mar 8/19   Oath Ceremony

Mar 8/19   I'm a citizen!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should answer every question honestly but not offer any more information. If asked the purpose of your visit, state you are visiting your fiance. If asked when you intend to get married, say something generic like 'the fall of 2013"

no need to be specific unless specifically asked

good luck

PS - you know there is not switching. You have to file the petition all over again right?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

You should answer every question honestly but not offer any more information. If asked the purpose of your visit, state you are visiting your fiance. If asked when you intend to get married, say something generic like 'the fall of 2013"

no need to be specific unless specifically asked

good luck

PS - you know there is not switching. You have to file the petition all over again right?

Yes i realize..I will come back to Canada change my id to married name and we will file all over again...! I hope its on this site where to send it! or is it Texas Lockbox like k1's?

Apr 18/13...filed 1-130

Mar 4/14 paid IV Bill

Mar 6/14 submitted DS260

N400

Jan 4/18     NOA..Fee pd

Jan 24/18   Biometrics

Mar 8/19   Oath Ceremony

When I went down he asked me business or pleasure? Pleasure

What are you doing while you’re down there? A road trip down to FL.

For you your answer could be outlet shopping or whatever you tend to do in Vegas.

If you have no concrete plans then you are not lying when you say you have no plans.

Yes i realize..I will come back to Canada change my id to married name and we will file all over again...! I hope its on this site where to send it! or is it Texas Lockbox like k1's?

The I-130 application does not require you to change your ID before filing. The Chicago Lockbox address is on the instructions.

You can take your time doing that, just make sure you have your passport done for NVC. It’s a bit of a PITA doing a name change for your passport because you have to use the long form (with guarantors) and Service Canada offices can’t take them. You have to either bring them to a Passport Canada office or mail them in.

If you don’t have a long form of your Birth Certificate I would get that ordered sooner than later as well.

*that being said - put your married name on the petition.

Edited by hikergirl

Service Canada took my passport when I changed it last year in June. As long as your next trip is longer than the deadline they have (6 weeks) they should take them. But it does suck having to do the guarantors. It is easier than it was 5 years ago though because now anyone who has known you for over 2 years, has a valid or less than 1 year old expired passport than be your guarantor. Before it had to be a professional, like a doctor or laywer etc... UGH!

If it were me I'd say I was visiting my fiance but I also say each time that I'm going to visit my husband when I visit him. Just bring your proof, pack lightly and have a return date. :) Should be fine. I would not mention the K1 because you're going down to get married and that nullifies it. LOL You don't need to mention the CR1 either unless they start asking specific questions like when are you getting married and who is moving where. I have been asked those questions as well.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/agents.aspx?lang=eng

Receiving agents are not allowed to take name changes anymore or if the old passport has more than a year on it.

Fortunately for me Svc Canada wouldn’t take my application in Dec because I had both circumstances. Hubby and my kid gave me a flight the next day (for a few weeks later) and my passport wouldn’t have made it back in time.

Timeline

Something I found useful is to volunteer the right amount of the right information. For example, when asked where I was going or what the purpose of my visit was I would say "I'm going to Atlanta to visit with my fiancee until Monday and then I'm returning home." and I would include a copy of my flight information and itinerary with my passport when I handed it over. You are unlikely to get a further questions after volunteering your return date, but if you do and they ask when are you getting married, an honest response is 'It depends on the paperwork. We have filed for a K-1 fiancee visa" which is true for whatever visa you pursue, and have copies of your K-1 documentation with you as it is still valid until you cancel it or get married. You have thereby offered reassurance that you have plans and arrangements to return to Canada, and you are familiar with the immigration process and have already initiated it. Plans to change to a different visa process in the near future do not negate your current situation. While you are thinking of getting married on this visit and returning home to pursue a CR-1 visa, you may still change your minds and not get married on this visit, so until you are married or until you have withdrawn the K-1 you are a K-1 applicant. Planning to get married and then return to Canada is not considered any grounds for denial of entry so not volunteering that information is not a liability. You have no intention of staying in the US. You have no intention of violating or even 'stretching' any immigration regulation.

You may or may not get sent to secondary - that's the luck of the draw - and as others have said, make sure you pack no more than is reasonable for the length of your visit, have your return ticket, and carry both proof of your ties to Canada and a copy of the K-1 package.

None of this changes if you do get married while you are in the US. What changes is your next visit to the US, when you would say you are visiting your husband. You would approach it in exactly the same way and carry proof of your CR-1 petition. (You could even carry proof that you have cancelled the K-1 if you wanted to be really prepared for any possible question). You are not trying to hide any information;you are not trying to bypass immigration or do anything illegal; you are really just trying to protect yourself from an unreasonable border guard throwing his weight around and gain an 'immigration benefit' for which you are eligible.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Something I found useful is to volunteer the right amount of the right information. For example, when asked where I was going or what the purpose of my visit was I would say "I'm going to Atlanta to visit with my fiancee until Monday and then I'm returning home." and I would include a copy of my flight information and itinerary with my passport when I handed it over. You are unlikely to get a further questions after volunteering your return date, but if you do and they ask when are you getting married, an honest response is 'It depends on the paperwork. We have filed for a K-1 fiancee visa" which is true for whatever visa you pursue, and have copies of your K-1 documentation with you as it is still valid until you cancel it or get married. You have thereby offered reassurance that you have plans and arrangements to return to Canada, and you are familiar with the immigration process and have already initiated it. Plans to change to a different visa process in the near future do not negate your current situation. While you are thinking of getting married on this visit and returning home to pursue a CR-1 visa, you may still change your minds and not get married on this visit, so until you are married or until you have withdrawn the K-1 you are a K-1 applicant. Planning to get married and then return to Canada is not considered any grounds for denial of entry so not volunteering that information is not a liability. You have no intention of staying in the US. You have no intention of violating or even 'stretching' any immigration regulation.

You may or may not get sent to secondary - that's the luck of the draw - and as others have said, make sure you pack no more than is reasonable for the length of your visit, have your return ticket, and carry both proof of your ties to Canada and a copy of the K-1 package.

None of this changes if you do get married while you are in the US. What changes is your next visit to the US, when you would say you are visiting your husband. You would approach it in exactly the same way and carry proof of your CR-1 petition. (You could even carry proof that you have cancelled the K-1 if you wanted to be really prepared for any possible question). You are not trying to hide any information;you are not trying to bypass immigration or do anything illegal; you are really just trying to protect yourself from an unreasonable border guard throwing his weight around and gain an 'immigration benefit' for which you are eligible.

Thank you!! Clear, concise answer!

Apr 18/13...filed 1-130

Mar 4/14 paid IV Bill

Mar 6/14 submitted DS260

N400

Jan 4/18     NOA..Fee pd

Jan 24/18   Biometrics

Mar 8/19   Oath Ceremony

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/agents.aspx?lang=eng

Receiving agents are not allowed to take name changes anymore or if the old passport has more than a year on it.

Fortunately for me Svc Canada wouldn’t take my application in Dec because I had both circumstances. Hubby and my kid gave me a flight the next day (for a few weeks later) and my passport wouldn’t have made it back in time.

I see the difference. My passport was already expired, I wasn't just changing the name. I love figuring out why something happens. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you!! Clear, concise answer!

You may even want to go one step further and bring a letter from your employer stating the date of your return to work. I had a template of this letter at work and would just change the dates of travel on it and then would printit on company letterhead and get my boss to sign it. Whenever I crossed over (every 2nd weekend) I always had a copy of my NOA 1 then 2 after it was issued, the letter from my employer, a copy of my lease agreement and the most current copy of utility bills, cable bill, and bank statement. I got a hassle once and then pulled out all this info. When the US CBP agent saw all of this, he laughed and asked how I knew to bring all of these items with me. I told him research. They just want to see that you have ties to Canada, that you have filed your paperwork and have the intent to return to Canada and wait until your visa is issued. When you visit, always come back the day that you say you are returning and make sure that you always have a return ticket as USCIS CBP agents will check this.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.