23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

HI,

about a year ago I moved to the usa on a K1. I now have a greencard and I am working and all that is fine.

My father is having problems due to divorce from my mother. Basicly my wife (us citizen) and I (green card holder) want me father to come and live with us perminently.

So the question is, is this possible. It will be another 2 years before I can become a full us citizen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You have to be a full citizen (Naturalized) to petition for a foreign parent. No other option. A green card holder can only petition for a spouse or child. And US citizen cannot petition for in-laws.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

YuandDan are right. You should have your father contact the U.S. embassy in UK about doing a immigrant visa on his own. It might be just about as quick. We still have a pretty good relationship with the UK. Ha!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
I would love to know too.... it would save my parents having to wait another 2 years until I become a USC.....

1HappyGuy please post all links to the ways of parents getting an immigrant visa on their own....

We do not know what skills he may have that would allow him to move on his own merits.

His Employer may have offices in the US and could arrange an inter company transfer.

Speculation, speculation....

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
YuandDan are right. You should have your father contact the U.S. embassy in UK about doing a immigrant visa on his own. It might be just about as quick. We still have a pretty good relationship with the UK. Ha!
A person cannot get an immigrant visa on their own, they need a sponsor, either family, or work related.
People who want to become immigrants are divided into categories based on a preference system. The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, which includes parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21, do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number to become available once the application filed for them is approved by the USCIS. An immigrant visa number will be immediately available for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. The relatives in the remaining categories must wait for a visa to become available according to the following preferences:
  • First Preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older.
  • Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents, and the unmarried sons and daughters (regardless of age) of lawful permanent residents and their children.
  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children.
  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children.

All people who want to become immigrants based on employment must wait for an immigrant visa number to become available according to the following preferences:

• First Preference: Priority Workers including aliens with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, and certain multinational executives and managers.
  • Second Preference: Members of Professions Holding Advanced Degrees or Persons of Exceptional Ability.
  • Third Preference: Skilled Workers, professionals and other qualified workers.
  • Fourth: Certain special immigrants including those in religious vocations.
  • Fifth: Employment Creation Immigrants.

How do I get a visa Number?

The only other option to immigrate to the US is visa lottery, the number of visas is 50,000 per year, and which countries varies year to year. I don't think the UK is in that program.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1322.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

You can self sponsor, but without knowing more I can not be bothered to detail.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
They are both retired... and have assets of around $600,000 no special skills and dont wish to work here in the US...

Big big question, how do they intend to deal with Medical Expenses?.

$600k is not enough to go down the investor route and live.

Filed: Timeline

they will pay for their medical insurance same as anyone else.... and they will have their retierment income to live on both UK state pension and their private pensions... so they wont be poor...

Edited by Niagaenola

Timeline
they will pay for their medical insurance same as anyone else.... and they will have their retierment income to live on both UK state pension and their private pensions... so they wont be poor...

Up to you, but my Parents have a bit more in assets but with the US Health Care system the way it is there is no way I could bring them here. They would be bankrupted in no time, Ok a bit of an overstatement but not by much.

I am assuming that we will need to move back when we are of retirement age.

The only person I have seen who had a plan to deal with this is I think Munchkins, they were going to work for 10 years, get Insurance through a job and then have the Social Security credits.

Filed: Timeline
They are both retired, have assets of around $600,000, no special skills and don't wish to work here in the US.

They're already retired elsewhere, live off well and the only use they have for the US is its healthcare system.

Yup! Just two more immigrants who never have made any contributions to the US, yet want to get something out of it.

Timeline
the only use they have for the US is its healthcare system.

Joke?

What healthcare system?

That's the problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.