impecunious

What do I do for 6 months until we get the NOA2?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

A few days ago, I received my text message & email that USCIS received my original I-130 submission, and that it has been forwarded to the NBC for processing. Later that same day, my status online also indicated that things are in "Initial Review." So although we're a whopping 5 days into this, so far so good. :P

My question is, assuming that we don't get any RFEs or other similar communications, what should I do for the next 4 to 6 months to make sure that things are moving as quickly as they can be? Should I really assume that no news is good news, or should I make a phone call or check in with USCIS periodically to make sure that nothing has gone awry? Based on some of the less fortunate stories here about people who have had to pester USCIS to get things done, I guess I'm just a little paranoid about doing nothing for the next half-year except waiting for USCIS to reach out to me, instead of being a little proactive and checking up on them.

Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi all,

A few days ago, I received my text message & email that USCIS received my original I-130 submission, and that it has been forwarded to the NBC for processing. Later that same day, my status online also indicated that things are in "Initial Review." So although we're a whopping 5 days into this, so far so good. :P

My question is, assuming that we don't get any RFEs or other similar communications, what should I do for the next 4 to 6 months to make sure that things are moving as quickly as they can be? Should I really assume that no news is good news, or should I make a phone call or check in with USCIS periodically to make sure that nothing has gone awry? Based on some of the less fortunate stories here about people who have had to pester USCIS to get things done, I guess I'm just a little paranoid about doing nothing for the next half-year except waiting for USCIS to reach out to me, instead of being a little proactive and checking up on them.

Thanks in advance.

Well besides staying busy there's nothing you can do to speed anything along. Calling USCIS yields no nothing. Everyone's case from start to finish is in initial review u just got there so u r on a shelf somewhere waiting your turn.

What you can do is make sure you are ready for next stage at NVC. I highly suggest going to the ink below for NVC filers and read Post #1 and #2 so you know what's up.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/417050-nvc-filers-march-2013/

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

LOL. You have 5 days and we have 5 weeks. You might get approved before us. There is no crystal ball with the govt. Take a deep breath and relax. Good luck. :thumbs:

I AM USC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I second what Dwheels said. Go study up on the NVC materials. This is where you can really make a difference in how fast your case gets pushed through. Unfortunately the USCIS process is all up to them.

I recommend staying busy even if its just hanging out on VJ ;)

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yet another poster agreeing with the advice dwheels has given. Spend this time researching the steps for NVC and gathering the information and documents that you'll need. You want to be ready to go when you get your NOA2. Good luck!

good.gif

Our Visa Timeline
USCIS
11/23/12: Package Mailed to Chicago Lockbox from Ireland
11/28/12: Arrived at Lockbox, Signed for by JOHN
11/30/12: NOA1; Transferred to NBC
12/06/12: NOA1 Hard Copy Received
12/19/12: Touched
01/16/13: NOA2 (47 days after NOA1)
01/21/13: Approved petition mailed to NVC
01/22/13: NOA2 Hard Copy Received
NVC
01/25/13: Petition arrived at NVC
02/11/13: Received Case#/IIN from NVC
02/11/13: Received DS-3032/AOS Bill Invoiced
02/11/13: AOS Bill Paid/DS-3032 Emailed
02/15/13: AOS Package sent to NVC
02/25/13: DS-3032 Accepted
02/26/13: AOS Package Accepted
02/26/13: IV Bill Invoiced
02/26/13: IV Bill Paid
02/27/13: IV Package sent to NVC
03/11/13: RFE: Irish Police Cert. (It's there, Idiot Stick just can't read Irish. "Garda" means "Police". Fool.)
03/20/13: Case Complete
04/01/13: Interview Date Assigned
Consulate
04/16/13: Medical
05/07/13: Interview...Denied 221(g). Now to find a joint sponsor. Good times.
05/22/13: Visa in Hand
07/30/13: POE Dublin

Citizenship

06/04/2023: N-400 Filed Online

06/05/2023: Receipt Sent

06/12/2023: Notice of Biometrics Appointment Received; Appointment Date 06/30/2023

x214.png

7uKb.png

I suggest keeping busy. Go to the gym. Take a pottery class. Anything to keep you from obsessing over the arrival of the NOA2. But also make sure you've researched the next stage. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.