Vickins

Help! K-1 Visa Taking too Long

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

They may not know she has a wedding dress in there, VWP people are often just waved through.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Are they going to let her enter on the VWP with a wedding dress? Isnt there a huge risk she will get denied entry? :wacko:

Hey Azsara

I've looked in this, I can still get married but if I show proof of my intent to leave within 90 days, like a return flight. I should be alright :)

Hey Azsara

I've looked in this, I can still get married but if I show proof of my intent to leave within 90 days, like a return flight. I should be alright :)

Phew, hope for the best for you!

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If an expedite isn't ready, and the visa isn't approved, and all the arrangements are made and paid for and can't be changed, including family flights etc... One possibility would be to still have the party, but don't have a marriage ceremony. Cut cake, drink wine, dance, throw a bouquet... but don't marry. Then a few weeks later once the K-1 is received, do a justice of the peace wedding. You can certainly have a party on a VWP. Making the most of a bad situation, if the visa hasn't come through.

Good luck!

Filed: Timeline

If an expedite isn't ready, and the visa isn't approved, and all the arrangements are made and paid for and can't be changed, including family flights etc... One possibility would be to still have the party, but don't have a marriage ceremony. Cut cake, drink wine, dance, throw a bouquet... but don't marry. Then a few weeks later once the K-1 is received, do a justice of the peace wedding. You can certainly have a party on a VWP. Making the most of a bad situation, if the visa hasn't come through.

Good luck!

Depending on how important it is for you to actually be married on your wedding, I agree with this. Just have a wedding, but... not a real one... or something along those lines. Obviously, this would prove horrible for the K-1 interview if the officer had any reason to suspect that you were actually married, so do be careful.

What would Xenu do?

Good luck!

I agree with most of this!! If your K-1 has not arrived in time, go ahead and YES, you can have your "religious" ceremony, but by any means don't make it legal. Do not apply for a marriage licence, do not sign any legal documentation whatsoever until you have your K-1 in hand and have activated it at a POE. Why risk having to wait any longer by having to then change your application??

Having a ceremony and celebration first is perfectly fine and will not compromise your K-1. How can I be so sure???

Because this is exactly what we did, after calling USCIS on 2 different occasions. My daughter's FIL to be (at the time) called and documented dates, times, names and badge numbers when he called asking if we could have a strictly religious ceremony before my daughter emigrated. He asked specifically if it would endanger her K-1. Both times, after consulting with someone else, the reps came back and said as long as no legal documentation was filed or signed, there wouldn't be a problem with doing this.

Soooo, that's exactly what we did. We had a beautiful ceremony and celebration, then my daughter emigrated, then went and applied for the marriage licence, picked it up 3 days later and had a civil ceremony. Went on their honeymoon, they came back, we filed her AOS, EAD and AP and waited........... everything's been approved and we're just going to wait now until ROC.

Seriously, don't risk having to start over again........ it's not worth it! Wishing you all the best!

Edited by CdnMom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I agree with most of this!! If your K-1 has not arrived in time, go ahead and YES, you can have your "religious" ceremony, but by any means don't make it legal. Do not apply for a marriage licence, do not sign any legal documentation whatsoever until you have your K-1 in hand and have activated it at a POE. Why risk having to wait any longer by having to then change your application??

Having a ceremony and celebration first is perfectly fine and will not compromise your K-1. How can I be so sure???

Because this is exactly what we did, after calling USCIS on 2 different occasions. My daughter's FIL to be (at the time) called and documented dates, times, names and badge numbers when he called asking if we could have a strictly religious ceremony before my daughter emigrated. He asked specifically if it would endanger her K-1. Both times, after consulting with someone else, the reps came back and said as long as no legal documentation was filed or signed, there wouldn't be a problem with doing this.

Soooo, that's exactly what we did. We had a beautiful ceremony and celebration, then my daughter emigrated, then went and applied for the marriage licence, picked it up 3 days later and had a civil ceremony. Went on their honeymoon, they came back, we filed her AOS, EAD and AP and waited........... everything's been approved and we're just going to wait now until ROC.

Seriously, don't risk having to start over again........ it's not worth it! Wishing you all the best!

The OP needs to be careful if they decide to do this. Even if it isn't made "legal" many times what looks like a wedding and smells like a wedding IS a wedding to USCIS. Many times we have seen people denied on these boards after having such ceremonies and parties, even if the marriage is not registered.

The OP needs to be careful if they decide to do this. Even if it isn't made "legal" many times what looks like a wedding and smells like a wedding IS a wedding to USCIS. Many times we have seen people denied on these boards after having such ceremonies and parties, even if the marriage is not registered.

Hmmmm....... I was unaware of this. I've been registered on this board and have made daily visits for over a year and creeping it for a good 6 months before that. I've not heard of anyone who's been denied for this reason.

I certainly would not want to put the OP's visa at risk,

but like I said...... in our case, we called USCIS 2 different times to be very sure before proceeding and got the exact same answer..... that her K-1 would NOT be compromised in any way, as long there was no legal paperwork applied for,signed or registered before entering the US on her K-1.

She POE'd no problem, received her EAD and AP within 2.5 months of them receiving her application and was just interviewed and was approved on the spot, in less than half an hour.

Just another point of view for the OP. It's certainly up to them because either way, it looks like they are going to go ahead with the "wedding". I was just offering up the option of what we did, all within the legal parameters

Edited by CdnMom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Good luck!

:thumbs: I agree ^^ It would just be the reception before the wedding! A nice engagement party! Good luck!

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

A comment on expedite with USCIS-- if they are sending RFEs, it probably means approval is very soon...as soon as they review the response. A USCIS expedite doesn't mean the Dept of State/London Embaassy is going to expedite. Different government agency. So if they got NOA2 tomorrow, it would most probably be early June before getting a visa in London, even if you had all your ducks perfectly in a row. If you aren't super prepared with all the tips and tricks for London, then it could easily exceed 3 months after NOA2. And the petition hasn't been approved yet, so the clock can't even start on that part yet.

I wonder if all this pulling of the file to do the congressional reply, or if an expedite was requested, would actually slow down a petition that is on an adjudicators desk just waiting for the RFE response.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Hey Azsara

Sure you can come over and get married and then leave. But then you have to file for a spousal visa which means starting from scratch. ;)

I highly highly highly suggest trying to get the expedite and also calling your wedding vendors and seeing if you can push the day.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you for all your posts. Lesson learnt, never plan till you got the right paperwork. But sadly we have to learn the hard way. We are trying to keep positive and we've decided that we will risk to start this process all over again if last resort... go under the VWP.

Have your reception party now, wedding later. Or, have a church service now and official wedding with license later. That's risky, though, since even a church service without license could be considered a formal marriage in some jurisdictions.

Timeline

Some countries do scrutinize the "marriage party" more than others... I would anticipate that the embassy in the UK would not be overly concerned about a ceremony without a legal marriage. Other countries have different rules. I would think that the UK, like Canada and likely other similar countries, wouldn't put significant weight on a non-legal ceremony. Countries in asia or MENA countries likely look at it differently, given the nature of religious ceremonies in many of those places.

I think it's a real possibility for the OP, if the process timeline doesn't work out and if plans aren't easily changed. Be clear on all documentation, and the risk should be minimal.

USCIS error is cause for expedite, for I-129F approvals -

so keep that in mind as yer talking with a USCIS Tier 2 Human, an ISO, today.

Go Get Em !

Yup, you should talk to someone higher up about this.

However, you really shouldn't have booked the wedding before she actually arrived or at least had the visa secure in her hand.

2009/12/30 - Met online

2010/03/27 - 1st Visit to the Phils

2010/04/03 - Left the Phils back to the US

2010/05/__ - Engagement (unofficial)

2010/07/19 - Filed I-129F

2010/07/27 - Check cleared

2010/08/21 - 3rd Call to USCIS call center, finally got our Case #, still no mail

2010/09/01 - NOA1 official date

2010/09/07 - NOA1 received, FINALLY!!!

2010/10/06 - Touched (expedite request callback from USCIS, giving us the requirements)

2010/10/07 - Finally got the papers from the doctor and submitted requirements for expedite

2010/10/07 - Touched with callback

2010/10/14 - USCIS website says it's APPROVED!!! mailed

2010/10/19 - received at NVC

2010/10/21 - NVC sent documents to the US Embassy in Manila

2010/10/23 - 2nd Visit the the Phils, touchdown in Manila & flight to Samar, Pamamanhikan for brunch, Engagement Party for dinner

2010/10/24 - Picnic with close family and friends

2010/10/25 - Engagement Party with family in Manila

2010/10/26 - Leave the Phils back to the US

2010/11/22 - Interview at the US Embassy in Manila - VISA APPROVED!!!

2010/12/30 - POE in Las Vegas. TOGETHER AT LAST!

2011/03/06 - Married in Las Vegas

2011/05/03 - AOS, EAD & AP filing date

2011/05/11 - NOA1 for all

2011/05/24 - successful walk-in biometrics (originally 6/10)

2011/06/20 - got online status update and hardcopy of interview appointment dated 6/16 but scheduled for 7/26

2011/07/22 - AP approved, EAD card in production

2011/07/26 - AOS interview. RFE coz they LOST MY MEDICAL!!! GRRR!

2011/07/30 - EAD/AP combo card in the mail

2011/10/21 - finally got my GREENCARD after several complaints all over the place

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.