manitou64st

what visa should we get

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I met someone in croatia and her and I have developed strong feelings for each other but arent sure how to get her over to the united states. We want to develop a relationship but we are scared that she may not make it over. I know there is no easy solution but im am searching for the best one. We want to do this legally. What is the best way. Is marriage the easiest way and if we were to get married should we apply for the fiance visa and do it here in the United States or should I go their. Is there any other way other than marriage and is it harder to do. We really want to be with each other. Is it better for her to travel here a few times before applying for the fiance visa. Also is croatia considered a high risk country. Any info would help. Please help give me some answers I would beso greatful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

If you marry her you can't do the fiance visa, then it will be the spouse visa. It doesn't matter if you marry her in her country or in the US. BUT if you do marry her here she MUST go back to her country while you wait for the visa. If you want to do the fiance visa, you marry her in the US within 90 days of her arrival. She still has to wait for the visa in her country. These days both those visas take about as long to get, one advantage with the spouse visa is that she will get her conditional green card as soon as she gets here and can start working.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Why don't you guys try leting her come on a tourist visa first?

With a tourist visa she can stay up to six months here. And then leave and come back for more time if you guys want to.

She won't be able to work.. but she can study up to 20h a week.. So you can know eachother better and figure out if

you're gonna take the fiancé/spousal visa challenge.

Cuz I'm gonna tell you. It is a challenge to the relationship. Too much time apart and the frustration of the waiting is painful.

It's gonna take around an entire year to get her to live here legally. But It was totally worth it for us O=}

Also with a tourist visa, she will be able to come and stay with you during the process..

That's an idea O=}

Anthony & Paula

I-129F sent: 01/17/2012
NOA1: 01/23/2012
NOA2: 05/30/2012
Interview: 08/07/2012 - APROVED
POE: 09/05/2012
----
Wedding: 10/24/2012
AOS/EAD/AP sent: 11/14/2012
NOA1: 11/20/2012
EAD/AP received: 01/28/2013

GC Approved: 08/30/2013

GC Received: 09/11/2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why don't you guys try leting her come on a tourist visa first?

With a tourist visa she can stay up to six months here. And then leave and come back for more time if you guys want to.

Submit your K1 visa petition first, then have her come visit for six months. The K1 petition process is so long you don't want to wait any more than you have to. If the six month visit shows you're not compatable, then revoke the petition. :thumbs:

Timeline

But she needs the tourist visa before she applies to the K-1. I don't think she can apply for 2 visas at the same time.

Anthony & Paula

----

Timeline

Submit your K1 visa petition first, then have her come visit for six months. The K1 petition process is so long you don't want to wait any more than you have to. If the six month visit shows you're not compatable, then revoke the petition.

P.S., Croatian girls are hot! I lived there for a while and can't believe I'm not married to a Croat. Oh wait, I was married to an American at the time. That explains it!!! :innocent:

Thanks everyone for the replies.. its been a lot of help. I look forward to more of them. Id like to know as much as possible. So she can come here even after I apply for the k-1 on a travel visa. Wont they think we will try and get married while she is her. What does she tell boarder officers she is traveling her for. Can she tell them she is here to see me. Is it a guarantee she will get in if we plan on getting married or even if we got married here or their. I dont mind waitng for love. A year is nothing.

Oh yeah should I hire a immigration attorney.

Timeline

Oh also!

The basic differences between the fiancé and the spousal visa this:

1-

For the fiancé K-1 visa you have to wait until the process is done for her to come to the US and get married.

If you get married in her country then you have to apply for the CR-1 visa.

2-

The fiancé visa is theoretically faster, but once she is here she will have to adjust status to a legal resident

and apply for a temporary green card, then after 2 years apply for the permanent green card (removal of conditions on the greencard)

And it all coasts a lot of money! She will have to apply for a work permit, and permission to go abroad, and that means more paperwork and at least 2 months.

The spousal visa takes longer to be approved but you get a permanent greencard right away. You don't have to deal with any paperwork for a while. It ends up being way cheaper.

Honestly, today, If I knew all I know now, I'd go for the CR-1 visa. It's a lot of stress and paperwork.

Plus, USCIS has so much delay right now that its taking almost as much time to approve the K1 fiancé as the CR-1 spouse.

Read more on this link and learn more about the differences O=}

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Anthony & Paula

----

Timeline

But she needs the tourist visa before she applies to the K-1. I don't think she can apply for 2 visas at the same time.

I don't believe that's true. You submit the K1 petition for the fiance visa. While that is pending, she should be able to get a tourist visa if she meets the minimum qualification. As long as you can show all the evidence needed for the K1 petition, you should not have a problem getting a tourist visa after you submitted your K1 petition. Right now the K1 petition is running around eight months. Then there's a few months of processing at the embassy before the actual fiance visa is approved and issued. :D

Timeline

She just need to bring her NOA1 (receipt that you receive when you send the petition) to proove that she is doing things through the legal path in the case they ask.

Sometimes they don't even ask anything at the boarder.. who knows O=} But yes she is allowed to come.

Anthony & Paula

----

Are you sure you want to marry her? In the first post it seems like you want to get to know her better?

Marriage is a large step. I agree with the tourist visa and spending time together first if you're not sure (or at least get a tourist visa, then start the K1 process when she's visiting.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks everyone for the replies.. its been a lot of help. I look forward to more of them. Id like to know as much as possible. So she can come here even after I apply for the k-1 on a travel visa. Wont they think we will try and get married while she is her. What does she tell boarder officers she is traveling her for. Can she tell them she is here to see me. Is it a guarantee she will get in if we plan on getting married or even if we got married here or their. I dont mind waitng for love. A year is nothing.

Oh yeah should I hire a immigration attorney.

Welcome to the forum.

Take a look at the "pinned" thread at the top of the forum page, "Yes, You Can Visit," for information about one of your latest questions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

Regarding your latest question, this is primarily a Do-it-yourself (DIY) immigration site. The majority of folks here have done quite well without the services of a lawyer. If your case is basic, with no extenuating circumstances, most folks here would say that there is little need to spend money on an attorney. A dose of common sense, an ability to read/understand/follow government instructions and a willingness to learn will serve you well should your choose to DIY. The guides and information on this site are thorough and more than adequate to enable you to navigate the immigration law jungle. The decision is yours.

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Are you sure you want to marry her? In the first post it seems like you want to get to know her better?

Marriage is a large step. I agree with the tourist visa and spending time together first if you're not sure (or at least get a tourist visa, then start the K1 process when she's visiting.)

I definitely want to know her better as does she. We are good friends already but feelings have been building. I just want to get some info about this before we let our feeling escalate. We both would hate to fall in love with someone we could never actual be with. But the feelings are definitely there. We want to take this slow just to make sure this is what we both want. Being in love with someone so far isn't easy lots of obsticles. But im will to make it work. If you want something bad enough you gonna get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.