Future Marine

I-130. US Marines or bust!

5 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Recently found this site while researching USCIS visa times-etc. Figured i'd sign up and join in the discussion.

Name's Nate. 26. British Citizen. Father's a naturalized American and after a few years of persuasion, I finally managed to get him to sponsor me for my green card (he's rather anti-military). The plan is to get it then enlist US Marines and serve with the folks I know that're already enlisted. Brothers-in-arms and all.

Filed my I-130 April 2012 with CSC. So far I've gone through Congress and the US Embassy here in London to expedite my case, but unfortunately haven't had much luck with either (my Congressman was willing to assist, but the US Embassy...not so much). I'm on a bit of a clock as max enlistment age is 28 so I'm hoping that USCIS CSC catches up to VSC's processing rate. Till then, I'm just hurrying up and waiting like everyone else here.

Any advice or info you folks could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Check out times for sons of US citizens in Visa Bulletin because you're missing something important - you'll end up in either F2B or F3 and you'll have either 8 or 11 years of wait. Processing time of I-130 and trying to expedite it is not really relevant to your wait time.

Only advise is patience and looking for different career than USMC.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

Edited by kzielu

Considering my father still has British citizenship and properties over here (so proving residency in the UK wouldn't really be an issue apart from that whole "you need to be in the country for 6 months prior" thing), could I potentially push for DCF at the Embassy? The Consular General shot down my request to transfer my I-130 from CSC to the embassy for processing, but could I cancel my CSC petition and re-file over here directly?

Edited by Future Marine

Considering my father still has British citizenship and properties over here (so proving residency in the UK wouldn't really be an issue apart from that whole "you need to be in the country for 6 months prior" thing), could I potentially push for DCF at the Embassy? The Consular General shot down my request to transfer my I-130 from CSC to the embassy for processing, but could I cancel my CSC petition and re-file over here directly?

What you don't understand is if you were a young child, then a visa would be available to you via your USC father. There is no number limit of visas for child of a USC, so it's only a matter of getting through the paperwork.

There are number limits on visas allowed per year for certain family members. Because you are an adult, to the USCIS you are called a son, not his child. You are in the queue as of April 2012 waiting on visa availability. Here's the preference orders and visas available per year that might apply to you--

FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES

First: (F1) Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers not required for fourth preference.

Third: (F3) Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens: 23,400, plus any numbers not required by first and second preferences.

F1s being served now, got in the queue in Feb 2006

F3s being served now, got in the queue in July 2002

Read the bulletin for March here http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5885.html

There is no method to jump the queue via your father until your April 2012 priority date come to the top of the list.

If you married or got engaged to a USC, there is no limit on visas available. Spouses , young children, and parents of USCs get in with no limit, but you can't because of your age.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs