JL_Cristina

K1 to Spousal Visa

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was thinking of taking a week off and just take the trip but I'm not sure if a week is enough to do everything plus the wedding. :(

I think what most are saying is that it will be another eight months if you continue with your K1. It will likely be more than twelve months to circle back and get married, then file for spouse visa. What's the priority? Get the visa or get married? If you just want to get married, then fly to the Philippines and do it. If you want the fastest route to getting your future spouse here, the K1 petition is best. (Although, if you end up with RFE's, who knows?!? =-O )

Timeline

Hi there. There is almost no way that you will have your visa by June 25. Right now the California center is taking 7-8 months to process, plus you have 2-3 months after USCIS approves you to have the interview and actually get the visa. It is best to plan to not have your visa until the October-November.

If you switch to the CR-1, it will still be until the end of the year, best case, until you would get that so it's probably best to just wait with the K-1.

I guess it's crazy to think that it's going to happen but I'm thinking positive, never know miracles do happen. :)

You're already almost 2 months ahead with K1 petition. If you'll get married, depending on how soon you could fly to the Philippines to get license, arrange the marriage, wait for the marriage certificate and register at NSO. With I-130, you'll pay another fee and you'll start from day one.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input.

Timeline

I think what most are saying is that it will be another eight months if you continue with your K1. It will likely be more than twelve months to circle back and get married, then file for spouse visa. What's the priority? Get the visa or get married? If you just want to get married, then fly to the Philippines and do it. If you want the fastest route to getting your future spouse here, the K1 petition is best. (Although, if you end up with RFE's, who knows?!? =-O )

It sucks to be waiting around when all we want to do is be together just like everybody else. If the process is taking longer than 6 months is it advisable to have my fiance sign another contract, he's a seafarer and their next route will be U.S.

Timeline

It's a very helpful site, full of information and just knowing that I'm not the only one frustrated about the wait, it's comforting. :) I wish they just work faster. They were so quick to cash our check so we expected a faster approval.

theyre good in cashing the checks :devil:

we took the same route.. our k1 seems forever to get approved(plus thinking that we'll get RFE) why we chose to do the spousal visa instead but then we had the chance to get the spousal visa process expedited (military expedite which was something that we thought not gonna happen at some point coz my hubby will be out in a few months but we still gave it a shot), that made us thought its the better route.. we also want to get married asap and the thinking that whatever happens with our process (rfe, failed the medical, 221g), we are already married..

but in your case, i think sticking with K1 is better..

OUR K1 TIMELINE

03/09/2012 Sent first I-129F while deployed at Korea.. He only sent the form so we have to send it again.. lol

04/24/2012 Send second I-129F

05/01/2012 USCIS acceptance date routed to VSC

05/12/2012 NOA1

10/25/2012 NOA2

CR1 JOURNEY

09/26/2012 3rd visit

10/09/2012 Wedding

10/20/2012 I-130 Sent to Chicago Lockbox via UPS

10/22/2012 Filing Date

10/25/2012 confirmation email and text ( MSC )

10/26/2012 expedite request

10/31/2012 NOA1 hard copy

11/02/2012 NOA2 yay !!!!

11/05/2012 Case sent to NVC

11/13/2012 Case number/IIN assigned

11/16/2012 AOS fee bill and DS3032 ready

11/19/2012 AOS paid

11/20/2012 AOS shows paid/DS3032 sent

11/30/2012 AOS package sent( delayed coz of hubby's itrs grrrr...)

12/01/2012 DS3032 accepted

12/02/2012 IV fee bill ready

12/05/2012 IV bill shows paid

12/06/2012 IV packet sent

12/20/2012 case complete

01/15/2013 interview date scheduled (feb. 6, 2013)

01/22/2013 1st day of medical exam

01/23/2013 passed the medical exam !!!!

02/06/2013 VISA APPROVED !!!!

02/09/2013 Visa on hand

02/17/2013 POE Washington Dulles

02/19/2013 Immigrant Fee Payment (165$)

Your I-130 was approved in 2 days from your NOA1 date.

Hi!

Better stick with the K1 visa as you already knew you're way heading there.

If you go for CR1, you'll surely get back to one.

Keep praying,,miracles happen :thumbs:

Goodluck!

B&B

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

It sucks to be waiting around when all we want to do is be together just like everybody else. If the process is taking longer than 6 months is it advisable to have my fiance sign another contract, he's a seafarer and their next route will be U.S.

contract for what?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

contract for what?

He's a Seafarer, they work under short term employment contracts, generally the length of the voyage. It ensures things like hours of work and rest, pay, guarantee of repatriation, etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello! i'm new here too.

My advice is NOT to cancel the K1 visa. I've made a lot of research and what i know that it is less time doing the k1 VISA than marrying in your partner's country.

Hope we both can receive help in here, but if people don't answer just check all the forums. There's a lot of information.

:)

Hello everybody! I'm a newbie and I need help. Last year my childhood sweetheart found me on Facebook after 20 years of no contact and got engaged when I went to visit him in the Philippines for the first time after 20 long years. I sent out our K1 file on January 16, 2013 and were hoping to get approved before June and have my fiance with me for my Graduation and have our wedding on June 25 but reading everybody's comments it seems like it is not going to happen. My question is would it be faster to go get married in the Philippines, cancel the K1 and apply for the spousal visa or to just wait. Any opinions and information will be greatly appreciated for we are so eager to be together.

January 13, 2012 - Start talking
June 20, 2012 - Visit 1
September 21, 2012 - Visit 2
December 31, 2012 - Visit 3
February 20, 2013 - Visit 4 (proposal the 24th)
April 15, 2013 - Package sent
April 18, 2013 - NOA1
May 30, 2013 - Visit 5
August 22, 2013 - Visit 6
August 29, 2013 - RFE
October 4, 2013 - NOA2 (after 5 months 2 weeks 2 days)
October 9, 2013 - NOA2 Hard Copy
November 8, 2013 - NVC case number (after 5 weeks)
November 15, 2013 - Embassy in Lima received the case
November 29, 2013 - Visit 7
January 3, 2014 - Visit 8
January 6, 2014 - INTERVIEW APPROVEDJanuary 11, 2014 - Visa in hand
May 1, 2014 - Visit 9
May 4, 2014 - POE
June 24, 2014 - MARRIED :star:
July 29, 2014 - Sent AOS
August 6, 2014 - NOA1
September 4, 2014 - Biometrics

October 17, 2014 - Travel&Work permit Approved

December 3, 2014 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED

December 11, 2014 - Green Card in hand

September 7, 2016 - ROC sent

September 12, 2016 - NOA1
October 18, 2016 - Biometrics

October 17, 2019 - I-797C received

November 15, 2019 - Biometrics 

October 6, 2020 - Interview

November 18, 2020 - Naturalization ceremony
Ju44m5.png

8Hm5m5.png

lpi8m5.png

Timeline

Hi!

Better stick with the K1 visa as you already knew you're way heading there.

If you go for CR1, you'll surely get back to one.

Keep praying,,miracles happen :thumbs:

Goodluck!

B&B

Yes I believe miracles do happen. Thanks for the input!

Hello everybody! I'm a newbie and I need help. Last year my childhood sweetheart found me on Facebook after 20 years of no contact and got engaged when I went to visit him in the Philippines for the first time after 20 long years. I sent out our K1 file on January 16, 2013 and were hoping to get approved before June and have my fiance with me for my Graduation and have our wedding on June 25 but reading everybody's comments it seems like it is not going to happen. My question is would it be faster to go get married in the Philippines, cancel the K1 and apply for the spousal visa or to just wait. Any opinions and information will be greatly appreciated for we are so eager to be together.

Spooky - am I going through the K1 process after contacting my ex-lover by Facbook after 20 years of no contact too!

Timeline

Spooky - am I going through the K1 process after contacting my ex-lover by Facbook after 20 years of no contact too!

A little spooky lol!

Yes I can :) Seattle will be their main port for I think 3 months if he ever goes back.

I hope you have the opportunity to take him to Inay's or to Kawali Grill for some good Filipino food.

Of course, there's always Jollibee, Chow King, and Red Ribbon at the Southcenter Mall.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.