Saylin

NVC Filers - March 2013

2,519 posts in this topic

I have a question, wondering if someone can help. I'm the petitioner, and I have 2 jobs was wondering are we going to have to submitt verification letters and check stubs from both of my employers? Or only the one I have been employed the longest? Thank you. Trying to get everything ready for when we get a case #.

If you have 2 jobs, it's best to send employment letters and pay stubs from both. The more evidence, the better!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you have 2 jobs, it's best to send employment letters and pay stubs from both. The more evidence, the better!

One more question our co-sponsor is going to need a letter of employment verification as well?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I need some help - Saylin - are you here???

Okay - so just about to get it all together to send this week. But many questions. Here are the first.

My wife (USC) and I file jointly each year and have filed in the US every year because we lived there for five years until mid 2011. The income reported on the tax summary is combined. So do I have to dig out the W-2 info and represent each of our incomes on the section for each person individually in section 25 - and then attach copies of the W-2's?

Then in section 24 we have to list the assets of the household - that is myself (the immigrant) and my wife (USC). That seems straightforward except that section 28 is intended to be used to report the assets of the intended immigrant which will already have been done in section 24. Arrrrggghhh.

I think the best bet is to attach the summaries, use the W-2's to support individual annual incomes and then attach a note explaining the joint filing/combined household/section 24 and 28 mess. Is this the wisest thing? It is further complicated by having income in both countries (and hence two different and separate tax forms) for 2011 and by having cashed out a 401-k and an IRA before we left.

Any more intelligent suggestions appreciated.

One final thing - I had posted a question on whether to use the total income or the adjusted gross income when reporting this on the I-864. I got two contradictory answers. I am assuming that the wisest thing is to use total income because if I use the adjusted gross number it will be very difficult to get the numbers to jibe.

Help please!!

One more question our co-sponsor is going to need a letter of employment verification as well?

Yes, it's best if they also have an employment letter and pay stubs to prove their current income.

I need some help - Saylin - are you here???

Okay - so just about to get it all together to send this week. But many questions. Here are the first.

My wife (USC) and I file jointly each year and have filed in the US every year because we lived there for five years until mid 2011. The income reported on the tax summary is combined. So do I have to dig out the W-2 info and represent each of our incomes on the section for each person individually in section 25 - and then attach copies of the W-2's?

Then in section 24 we have to list the assets of the household - that is myself (the immigrant) and my wife (USC). That seems straightforward except that section 28 is intended to be used to report the assets of the intended immigrant which will already have been done in section 24. Arrrrggghhh.

I think the best bet is to attach the summaries, use the W-2's to support individual annual incomes and then attach a note explaining the joint filing/combined household/section 24 and 28 mess. Is this the wisest thing? It is further complicated by having income in both countries (and hence two different and separate tax forms) for 2011 and by having cashed out a 401-k and an IRA before we left.

Any more intelligent suggestions appreciated.

One final thing - I had posted a question on whether to use the total income or the adjusted gross income when reporting this on the I-864. I got two contradictory answers. I am assuming that the wisest thing is to use total income because if I use the adjusted gross number it will be very difficult to get the numbers to jibe.

Help please!!

I'm always here laughing.gif

If your income is appearing on her tax returns, then yes, she'll need to include her W2s to show just her own, individual income, along with the tax transcripts. But for the question on the form, I believe you put the combined income, as it states on the tax transcripts.

Remember, the assets section is optional. You only need to fill this out if you don't qualify on income.

Yes, make a note in the cover letter about filing taxes jointly.

As for which number to use, as it states EXACTLY in the question, it depends on what tax form was used (1040 or 1040EZ). Please read it again, it clearly states what amount to use.

Timeline

I'm always here laughing.gif

If your income is appearing on her tax returns, then yes, she'll need to include her W2s to show just her own, individual income, along with the tax transcripts. But for the question on the form, I believe you put the combined income, as it states on the tax transcripts.

Remember, the assets section is optional. You only need to fill this out if you don't qualify on income.

Yes, make a note in the cover letter about filing taxes jointly.

As for which number to use, as it states EXACTLY in the question, it depends on what tax form was used (1040 or 1040EZ). Please read it again, it clearly states what amount to use.

Thanks Saylin.

Timeline

Okay Saylin - so here is my next question!

When you electronically file the I-864's do you make a separate file for the form and all attached documents for each I-864 or is it one huge file? We will have three. Myself, my wife and a co-sponsor. We know they will want a co-sponsor because neither of us has a job in the US yet.

So to be clear would the e-mail I send have three files - each file containing the I-864 and all documents for it?

Thanks.

Okay Saylin - so here is my next question!

When you electronically file the I-864's do you make a separate file for the form and all attached documents for each I-864 or is it one huge file? We will have three. Myself, my wife and a co-sponsor. We know they will want a co-sponsor because neither of us has a job in the US yet.

So to be clear would the e-mail I send have three files - each file containing the I-864 and all documents for it?

Thanks.

I only sent one file. I combined all the documents into one large PDF file and emailed that.

Why are you filing an I-864? You're the beneficiary. Only the petitioner (and joint sponsors) need to fill out an I-864...

Timeline

I only sent one file. I combined all the documents into one large PDF file and emailed that.

Why are you filing an I-864? You're the beneficiary. Only the petitioner (and joint sponsors) need to fill out an I-864...

Sorry - I guess that's right isn't it? All of my assets will show as 'household' assets on her I-864 in any event. So both the co-sponsor and my wife's I-864's combined into one large file then?

Sorry - I guess that's right isn't it? All of my assets will show as 'household' assets on her I-864 in any event. So both the co-sponsor and my wife's I-864's combined into one large file then?

Yup, one large file :) Just make sure it's under ~10MB, otherwise there may be issues emailing it and/or NVC receiving it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.