Susi100

Update SSA und DMV right after oath?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I want to reply for the passport the day of the oath, but should I update my infos with the SSA first and then update my drivers license at the DMV (I wanted to renew it anyway now) and then after that apply for the passport? Or will my info that I am a US Citizen not be in the system of SSA and DMV that quickly? I just want to finish it all, since I will be abroad afterwards for a while....any experiences ?? Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I want to reply for the passport the day of the oath, but should I update my infos with the SSA first and then update my drivers license at the DMV (I wanted to renew it anyway now) and then after that apply for the passport? Or will my info that I am a US Citizen not be in the system of SSA and DMV that quickly? I just want to finish it all, since I will be abroad afterwards for a while....any experiences ?? Thank you!

From what I understand you will need to go update the SSA before you can update the DMV, but you don't need to update the SSA before getting your passport.

My personal plan of action (because I shouldn't have any timelines to worry about) will be, SSA then DMV then passport. However if I have a timeline to worry about I'll do passport ('cause that will take a couple of days anyway unless you do same day service), then SSA then DMV. As long as you have your passport to travel (if you need to soon) you are fine. You can update the SSA later... apparently sometimes they're at the oath ceremonies as well (which I doubt for my small office :D)

From what I understand you will need to go update the SSA before you can update the DMV, but you don't need to update the SSA before getting your passport.

My personal plan of action (because I shouldn't have any timelines to worry about) will be, SSA then DMV then passport. However if I have a timeline to worry about I'll do passport ('cause that will take a couple of days anyway unless you do same day service), then SSA then DMV. As long as you have your passport to travel (if you need to soon) you are fine. You can update the SSA later... apparently sometimes they're at the oath ceremonies as well (which I doubt for my small office :D)

Thank you for your reply. Do you have experience with getting the passport the same day you apply for it? Does that work?

Timeline

Thank you for your reply. Do you have experience with getting the passport the same day you apply for it? Does that work?

I personally don't, no, but I do know of one member who posted about it: Brother Hesekiel

Here's a thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/334733-question-receive-a-new-passport-the-same-day-wo-expediter/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Anguilla
Timeline

What's SSA? Social security #?

2 year Cond-GC anniv.: 07-15-12

I-751 mailed: 06-23-12

I-751rec'd: 06-25-12 @ 21:30 hrs

NOA dated 06-25-12

Check cashed: 06-26-12

Filed service request for non-receipt of biometrics appt: 07-30-12

Biometrics appt. notice received: 08-09-12

Biometrics appt. scheduled: 08-24-12

Biometrics taken (walk-in) 08-23-12

Approved: 02-19-13

Card Ordered: 02-21-13

Card Mailed: 02-25-13

Card Rec'd: 02-28-13

N-400 Filing window opens: 04-16-13

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 mailed: 04-16-13

N-400 received: 04-18-13

NOA Priority date(when they entered it into system) 04-18-13

Check cashed: 04-23-13

NOA Recv'd: 04-26-13

Biometrics: 05-13-13

Interview: 07-29-13 APPROVED

Oath: 09-25-13

Timeline

What's SSA? Social security #?

social security administration. The entity that issues social security numbers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Anguilla
Timeline

K, thought so. Thanks.

2 year Cond-GC anniv.: 07-15-12

I-751 mailed: 06-23-12

I-751rec'd: 06-25-12 @ 21:30 hrs

NOA dated 06-25-12

Check cashed: 06-26-12

Filed service request for non-receipt of biometrics appt: 07-30-12

Biometrics appt. notice received: 08-09-12

Biometrics appt. scheduled: 08-24-12

Biometrics taken (walk-in) 08-23-12

Approved: 02-19-13

Card Ordered: 02-21-13

Card Mailed: 02-25-13

Card Rec'd: 02-28-13

N-400 Filing window opens: 04-16-13

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 mailed: 04-16-13

N-400 received: 04-18-13

NOA Priority date(when they entered it into system) 04-18-13

Check cashed: 04-23-13

NOA Recv'd: 04-26-13

Biometrics: 05-13-13

Interview: 07-29-13 APPROVED

Oath: 09-25-13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Boy, did WE get skunked when trying to go straight from the naturalization ceremony to update other things!

The main passport office offers same-day passports only with proof of IMMINENT upcoming travel. We had none. The various satellite offices (Post Offices, etc.) either worked by appointment only or were booked for the next two weeks, or both.

The SSA offices all closed at noon on Wednesdays ("oath day" here). I strongly suspect that this is by design.

The DMV refused to update the driver's license without "confirmation from USCIS." We finally (about a month later) got a postal letter from the DMV saying that they'd confirmed the new status with USCIS, and it was OK to show up for the new DL.

Unless your area or state (ours = Houston) has different protocols, I'd not try to do anything immediately except for perhaps the passport.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

The thing is I will go abroad after the oath...I guess I will try to get the passport the same day at the agency with showing my ticket and hope that works (as i have read it does..) but I dont know when i return to the states, and when they dont let me update my status at the SSA and DMV then that's not too good I think....since my drivers license will expire in a few months anyways, and until I come back I have an expired one then....

OR should I simply renew my drivers license before the oath? Then I have it and its just not in the system that I am a citizen but a greencard holder, does it matter??

Edited by Susi100

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The passport plan should work, and your reasoning in regard to the driver's license is probably sound. You might have to pay yet again to replace your "newly renewed greencard license" when you become a citizen, but that's probably better than trying to renew or replace a completely expired license.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I do remember a post of a memeber on this board who had a relative working at the SSA and advised him that it would be easier up update the SSA with a passport as supposed to naturalization certificate!

here is the post:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/391109-tip-for-new-citizens-updating-their-social-security-card/

Edited by Barca
event.png

My personal recommendation is to apply for the (1) updated driver's license and get (2) registered to vote at the DMV (You will need your original Citizenship certificate for this at the DMV). Once complete, then head to the Post Office and (3) apply for your US Passport. Once you get your passport (in ~4 weeks) then go to (4) SSA and update your status with your new Passport. I tried going to SSA the same day, but the USCIS update is very slow and if you try to use your naturalization certificate, the SSA will need verification from the USCIS which can take FOREVER. It's much easier to take your Passport and they will change/update your status on the spot.

We updated both same day. It really doesn't matter. It will take a few days to weeks for the system to update, meanwhile, your naturalization certificate is all they need to start the process, in both cases. Let them make the photocopy - something about chain of custody. They won't accept your copies, just the original. You have to send off your original to get your passport, so do make a few copies for yourself, and do update the DMV and the SSA, before you send for your passport.

Edited by The Patriot

Sorry but maybe I'm not understanding something, but why would you need to update things with SSA and DMV? Is there any difference between how they treat permanent residents and citizens?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.