Susi100

Question address change after oath

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So lets say after the oath I update status with the SSA and apply for passport so thats all done and then a few months later I move to a different address in the same state........Will I then just have to go to the DMV and get a new drivers license and thats it, or where else do I have to change my address with the government or who knows, who do I have to inform, if anybody?? (As a GC Holder I had to file the AR-11 to USCIS) As a Citizen, just drivers license update??

Also, what if after taking the oath and getting the US Passport, I move back to my home country for a year or so.....do I have to change my address anywhere for that, or I just keep everything the way it is?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP !!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It's pretty simple--you just change your address on all your bank accounts, credit cards, and so forth...get a new driver's license and file all your taxes with the new address. You can also leave the country for as long as you like, changing your address as you go for taxes, etc.

You do not have to notify USCIS of any future address changes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Could make an appointment with a therapist to get debrainwashed after dealing with the USCIS for so many years. No, you are no longer required proof that you are a citizen anymore, don't have to carry a passcard nor your certificate. Being born here, don't even take my drivers' license with me unless I am driving.

Did have to remind my stepdaughter to get a change of address on her license, not going to college anymore. Ha, also have to remind my wife not to send her money anymore, she's a big girl now and almost earning the same amount of money she is.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you 2 !

@magical, so when i decide to live outside the US for a while or forever or who knows, then all I have to do is put my foreign address from my home country on the US Tax return and thats it? I am not sure if banks (mine is Bank of A.) let me put a foreign mailing address on my account, doesn't it have to have a US Address linked to it??

And the rule is that now as a US Citizen - I ALWAYS have to file a US tax return, no matter where in the world I live?? Is that correct? Thanks so much for your help!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

All you need to know is by downloading either the 1040a or 1040EZ instruction books from the IRS site. Know for a time, even working for a US based company overseas for two years, and making over $100K a year, you were tax free, but if you stepped in this country just for a second, has to pay taxes for all those two years. But they change this every year. Do know the rates are much lower, and wonder how they even knew how much you earned since most foreign countries don't even send a W-2 to the IRS.

But are are free to go and stay as long as you want too. No more residency requirements.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.