amanda23

can't meet k1 requirements is their another way?

33 posts in this topic

the guy i want to be with lives in the u.k and we can not meet the k1 requirements to marry... i can't even get a co sponsor either.. work visa's are rare so basically it feels hopeless.. but i wanted to know if their is anway what so ever we can get around this? or another way he can marry me. i mean i know about the visa fraud. but is it possible we can at least get married but him not stay in the us and not file for the adjustment of status? i mean if he can't come live with me can we at least try and find another way? with out breaking the law? and it's the same way with me going over to live in the u.k we can't meet the requirements or get me a sponsor :/ is their some where we can go? do anything.. can any one help me? im actually trying to do this the right way no matter what will not risk doing it illegally even if we had to travel back and forth for the rest of are lives we'd do it:/ even if we could only see each other so long we'd still do it.. but that is just a load of b.s i understand why the laws are like this but i was hoping their could be some way around it... i just want to know can we still at least get married? i know the way i said sounds stupid but if you really loved someone you will do anything you can to be with them no matter how pointless... id be highly impressed if any one can find away for us to be together highly impressed. im from R.I in the u.s he is from England in the U.K

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Get a second or third job if you can't get a joint sponsor.

Edited by apple21

the guy i want to be with lives in the u.k and we can not meet the k1 requirements to marry... i can't even get a co sponsor either.. work visa's are rare so basically it feels hopeless.. but i wanted to know if their is anway what so ever we can get around this? or another way he can marry me. i mean i know about the visa fraud. but is it possible we can at least get married but him not stay in the us and not file for the adjustment of status? i mean if he can't come live with me can we at least try and find another way? with out breaking the law? and it's the same way with me going over to live in the u.k we can't meet the requirements or get me a sponsor :/ is their some where we can go? do anything.. can any one help me? im actually trying to do this the right way no matter what will not risk doing it illegally even if we had to travel back and forth for the rest of are lives we'd do it:/ even if we could only see each other so long we'd still do it.. but that is just a load of b.s i understand why the laws are like this but i was hoping their could be some way around it... i just want to know can we still at least get married? i know the way i said sounds stupid but if you really loved someone you will do anything you can to be with them no matter how pointless... id be highly impressed if any one can find away for us to be together highly impressed. im from R.I in the u.s he is from England in the U.K

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Well .nothing stands in your way of getting married, he can come see you on vwp, you can get married but he must leave again. He can't adjust status but getting married is perfectly legal! Can't you get a second job so that you do meet the income requirement? Have you guys thought about moving to another country, not the us or the UK?

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

As the previous poster said you can marry in the US any time you want but to live together you'll have to go through the visa process for one of your two countries.

Is it just the two of you in your family unit or do you have children?

Do either of you have a job right now?

The income requirements are a lot lower for the two of you in US immigration than UK immigration plus for the UK there is no option of using a co-sponsor.

You mention just flying back and forth to see each other a lot - I would think that if you can afford to do that, and house feed and support yourselves in other ways then you would not find it that hard to meet the income requirements for the US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You could apply for a J1 visa for exchange students/Summer work or a F1 visa and come as a student then once in the US apply for adjustment of status. However you will have to prove that this was not your plan all along, if you get caught it could be bad news for future visits.

Could you explain more about your situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** two topics merged and moved to General Immigration discussion ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

If neither of you meet the immigration requirements for the UK or the USA, you have a third option, you can live in an EU country under family reunification while your UK partner (who should be your spouse for this to really work) works, studies, or lives under independent means.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Alright, you said you travel to meet him, so I'm assuming you have a job; is it the income that's getting you?

Because if not, you can just do what my wife and I did; get married in the UK, try to get him here on a CR-1/IR-1 visa.

If it is, try to find another job or double up if necessary; 125% of the poverty level is currently $19,388 for a household of two (assuming you don't have children). If you can meet or beat that somehow, you should be good to go.

Edited by Khal_Drogo

I am the USC.

The member "Khaleesi" is my beautiful wife.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I agree sara that the OP should go via the official route. And that it takes a long time but is worth it in the end.

I would never recommend visa fraud as the concequences far out way the few months wait for the proper route. However the OP asked if there was any other way and i was merly mentioning that some people, do adjust status. Also the other routes are no easier in terms of finances.

I apologise if I broke any forum rules with my original post.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I agree sara that the OP should go via the official route. And that it takes a long time but is worth it in the end.

I would never recommend visa fraud as the concequences far out way the few months wait for the proper route. However the OP asked if there was any other way and i was merly mentioning that some people, do adjust status. Also the other routes are no easier in terms of finances.

you DID recommend it and I reported your previous post, you never mentioned that "some people adjust status".

You could apply for a J1 visa for exchange students/Summer work or a F1 visa and come as a student then once in the US apply for adjustment of status. However you will have to prove that this was not your plan all along, if you get caught it could be bad news for future visits.

Could you explain more about your situation.

this person is suggesting visa fraud and it carries a lifetime ban...disregard this post

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I know your new to vj and like many of us you want to help in any way that we can when someone asks for advise :) and many of us have seen some strange ways of people getting their s/o's here but ....... if they want to find a fast way that is visa fraud is better for them to get that advise some place else :P

sara

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just because some people do it doesn't mean we will advice or condone illegal activity here on VJ, this is against our TOS. The OP could use a student or J1 visa to spend some time with her loved one and deepen the relationship, and the extra time may also give the USC time to find a better paying job so he has the income to sponsor her. But an F1 or J1 visa are NOT dual intent and thus are not allowed to be used with the intent of immigrating. So please do not advice this in future.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.