Monk&V

Still conflicted

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Honduras
Timeline

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the site. Not sure if this is where I should post this. I've looked at guides and some post for help. I think I need a reality check. I(USC) would love to marry my fiance here with my family and friends. But there are so many reasons why CR1 is such a better choice. My main reason for K1 is we each have one child and would like to have both in the wedding to start our lives together. Not likely it will be possible if I go there. Am I only thinking with my heart not my mind? Any and all opinions or advice on the matter greatly appreciated. I know in the end it will be our choice I would like to be able to make it and never look back in regret. Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

What is the conflict? Honduras isn't under the VWP, right? Are these kids underage? Are you planning on petitioning for your partner's kid as well?

Timeline

From what I read and some post Cr1 sounds like easier to prove because of already taking a big step to marry and cost is also better. Yes I will be applying for his son also. Both parents are ok with it. I'm not sure if I will be able to get a passport for my daughter without father's signature so I don't think would be able to go with me. I don't think it's under VWP. Yes both kids are in early teens.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

good for you for thinking ahead. I just went ahead and got married and didn't look back!

Things to keep in mind:

To marry in Honduras, you must prove that you are free to marry, I went to the US embassy in Teg where they told me I looked single and I paid around $25 for an official paper (there is no such document available in the state where I live). They request your original birth certificate (no way! I took a copy and said it was an original). You also need to show results of a recent HIV test (they did not accept mine from a US health dept, I had to get it redone in a Honduran hospital, but the results were ready the same day!) about $10. You are supposed to ask for permission to marry one week in advance (depending on where you marry there may be a longer wait). And finally, bring two witnesses (non blood relations, we brought god parents) and prepare to pay the gringo/a surcharges! Sounds like a lot, but I was able to get it all done within a 7 day trip.

Now, why I am so glad we did CR1. My husband still had to wait a month or two for all of his documents (SSN, GC, then DL and bank accounts), but he was able to look for a job pretty quickly. He had a little bit of time to adjust to the move, spend time with me and my family, and we moved into an apt. Not going to lie, the first couple months of him being here were very stressful for both of us, and I don't think I would've had the self control to set aside an extra $1000 for AOS after his plane ticket, winter clothes for him (lol something you can't find in Honduras), FOOD (we went out to eat a lot, it was like dating again!), health insurance, car insurance, deposit on the apt, taking a little extra time off work, etc.

We still haven't had that white wedding that so many people fantasize about, we might plan one later one, but we do have a beautiful marriage and my family has gotten to know and love him as well!

What I suggest is that you really look at your situation honestly, financial, family, living, work, and do what is most convenient. The last thing you want is to be stressed and at your wits end when your man gets here and you should be celebrating and enjoying! Also, do not try to compare you situation to anyone else's, apples and oranges.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you choose CR-1, one option would be to do a quick legal wedding in Honduras, then have a reception/ religious blessing in the USA with all the pomp and ceremony and the kids as bridesmaids etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

amyandjorge

Thank you so much I think this is what I needed to hear. All this is new to me. And no matter how much I search I don't see all that is involved. When someone with actual experience in the similar situation you can see the bigger picture. I've tried looking at what I would need to get married over there but doesn't tell you everything or possible timelines. I don't want to start this stressful process than to have added stress we could have avoided.

penguin_ie

I thought about that, too. I know people who have done destination weddings come back home and do the reception here. It would be about the same thing just later than usually planned. Thank you for your thoughts

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.