SAT

The Rant

3,156 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

This topic makes me :rofl: having been a K1 and a CR1 filer.

My husband did actually say to me at the time that he wouldn't stand for being separated once we were married so that is why we filed the I-129F. Which was an easy wait, while it lasted. I don't know why people ###### about it so much.

I'm like the master USCIS bitcher and the entire situation is my fault for being a Type A and calling in the first place. So, alas, I take the blame.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that the K1 should be done away with. I like GaryandAlla's idea of paying the AOS fee at the same time that the visa is issued.

My reasoning is that the AOS process does not protect the intending immigrant enough from a controlling and abusive spouse and people are planning on getting married anyone, why not file for a CR1?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm curious about your opinion of K-1 visas (I promise I won't argue about it)

I just think they're silly visas.

Like NOLA says, you end up with people who never AOS because their spouse went all cuckoo beans on them and held filing over their head.

I also feel like so many of those people have no idea what they're getting into when going into a marriage.

Not that they ALL don't, I'm sure some of those people have lived together before going through the process, but I'd be curious to see the divorce rate between K1 visas and CR1/IR1 visas.

It's all speculation on my behalf.

Hell, I could be COMPLETELY wrong, but that's why I said it's just personal opinion and observation.

I have no real data to fall back on.

oldlady.gif

Rant: CR-1 filers who think they are so much better than K-1 filers. I've seen married people that are less dedicated to their marriage than many engaged people are. People choose what works best for them and the conditions they are facing at the time. For myself personally, going back to the Philippines to just to get married would have required more time away from work than the owners would likely allow, or be happy with if I insisted. The family would have insisted on a Catholic ceremony which can really drag out the time frame. A good extra 6 months to a year to the wait time before we could file. Not to mention the not insignificant cost of another trip half way around the world.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Rant: CR-1 filers who think they are so much better than K-1 filers. I've seen married people that are less dedicated to their marriage than many engaged people are. People choose what works best for them and the conditions they are facing at the time. For myself personally, going back to the Philippines to just to get married would have required more time away from work than the owners would likely allow, or be happy with if I insisted. The family would have insisted on a Catholic ceremony which can really drag out the time frame. A good extra 6 months to a year to the wait time before we could file. Not to mention the not insignificant cost of another trip half way around the world.

I hope to god you aren't talking about me.

I was in no way shape or form trying to make myself seem "better" than a K1 filer.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

*Inserts foot into mouth.*

I did file a K1.

We just ended up getting married before it was done. :unsure:

Watching 2 seasons of Justified has given me a Kentucky accent. Being that there are no other native English speakers around, it is difficult to shake. :angry:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

*Inserts foot into mouth.*

I did file a K1.

We just ended up getting married before it was done. :unsure:

Watching 2 seasons of Justified has given me a Kentucky accent. Being that there are no other native English speakers around, it is difficult to shake. :angry:

You're older and you seem to have your head on your shoulders, and I'd hope to god you'd spent some extended time with your husband before filing the K1.

If mean, if you didn't, best of luck to you with your marriage, but I just don't see how these people that have spent like 2 weeks with their spouse expect a fiance visa to work.

But the same applies to the CR1 applicants that don't live with their spouse either.

But that that point, you've already dug your grave, so there's nothing you can do really.

The marriage just has to run its course.

Edited by KDH

oldlady.gif

I hope to god you aren't talking about me.

I was in no way shape or form trying to make myself seem "better" than a K1 filer.

Disassembling again? :rofl:

Silly, "never AOS because their spouse went all cuckoo beans on them and held filing over their head.", "divorce rate between K1 visas and CR1/IR1 visas", "fiance visa's are just ridiculous in general."

I think all those statements are implying CR-1 filers are some how better.

I wouldn't mind the system changing to paying the AOS fee up front either. Too many go into it with no idea there's a looming $1070 bill waiting after the wedding. But everyone one who doesn't AOS right away is not doing it to control their spouse. I've seen more cases of it where they just plain don't have the money. Paying up front would help solve this problem.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Disassembling again? :rofl:

Silly, "never AOS because their spouse went all cuckoo beans on them and held filing over their head.", "divorce rate between K1 visas and CR1/IR1 visas", "fiance visa's are just ridiculous in general."

I think all those statements are implying CR-1 filers are some how better.

I wouldn't mind the system changing to paying the AOS fee up front either. Too many go into it with no idea there's a looming $1070 bill waiting after the wedding. But everyone one who doesn't AOS right away is not doing it to control their spouse. I've seen more cases of it where they just plain don't have the money. Paying up front would help solve this problem.

I don't know how saying that you end up with people that never AOS because their spouse went all cuckoo beans on them validates your statement that I'm making myself seem better.

That's the only thing I've said that actually DOES have merit and is NOT personal opinion.

Do you venture into the effect on immigration forum?

There are posts in there CONSTANTLY about it.

It happens. And it CANT happen on a CR1/IR1 visa.

So, it's not making myself seems better, it's just plain truth that it happens.

And I've already said the other things are just my personal opinion.

I'm entitled to them.

Don't take my statements out of context just to make me look bad.

oldlady.gif

Please read the rule for the rant thread. NO ranting about other people's rants. This is a "free to express" thread not "free to argue."

On that note I will keep myself from arguing with you and choose a new rant:

waiting for the Chive shirts to go on presale. I hate that they sell out in less than 10 minutes. :( But I have one genuine shirt, I want 2 more (a Canadian one and a st. patty's day one) and then i'm done. Even if the one I have has a bleach stain on it from doing the hub's laundry. His idea of laundry is to seperate everything onto sides of the bed. The side he gets into has the dirty clothes, the side he gets out of has the clean. rofl.gif But he loves when I'm there because suddenly he can walk anywhere on the floor without getting clean clothes dirty. Fancy that!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

You're older and you seem to have your head on your shoulders, and I'd hope to god you'd spent some extended time with your husband before filing the K1.

If mean, if you didn't, best of luck to you with your marriage, but I just don't see how these people that have spent like 2 weeks with their spouse expect a fiance visa to work.

But the same applies to the CR1 applicants that don't live with their spouse either.

But that that point, you've already dug your grave, so there's nothing you can do really.

The marriage just has to run its course.

I knew my wife for 8 years before we filed for a K-1. I had numerous trips to her country, although we never actually lived together. I would have loved if she could come to the USA and spent a significant time period here before we got married, but they don't let many single Filipina into the USA on tourist visas. And me giving up a career to live there was not an option either.

Being as I knew my wife so long, I had watched the entire immigration process and relationships between Fil/Am couples for a long time. I've seen those that start talking on the internet, visit a few months later for a couple weeks, then file the K-1 have very good marriages. I've seen some where they didn't know who they were getting on either side and be complete disasters to. Its impossible to judge from outside which will be which. I also know one couple Fil/Am, the UCS husband actually regularly traveled to the Philippines with work. Met his now ex-wife there and married her there. The filed a CR-1, had a child, seemed the perfect couple. She left him, leaving the child behind, and returned to the Philippines to live the single life she didn't know she wanted when she got married. Again, you never really know how any marriage is going to work no matter how it starts out.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

I knew my wife for 8 years before we filed for a K-1. I had numerous trips to her country, although we never actually lived together. I would have loved if she could come to the USA and spent a significant time period here before we got married, but they don't let many single Filipina into the USA on tourist visas. And me giving up a career to live there was not an option either.

Being as I knew my wife so long, I had watched the entire immigration process and relationships between Fil/Am couples for a long time. I've seen those that start talking on the internet, visit a few months later for a couple weeks, then file the K-1 have very good marriages. I've seen some where they didn't know who they were getting on either side and be complete disasters to. Its impossible to judge from outside which will be which. I also know one couple Fil/Am, the UCS husband actually regularly traveled to the Philippines with work. Met his now ex-wife there and married her there. The filed a CR-1, had a child, seemed the perfect couple. She left him, leaving the child behind, and returned to the Philippines to live the single life she didn't know she wanted when she got married. Again, you never really know how any marriage is going to work no matter how it starts out.

This is too much for me to read, but you said you knew your wife for 8 years so that just goes with what I said that they aren't ALL like that.

If you take the time to get to know your spouse, then you're doing it right.

But I see A LOT of K1s that aren't doing it right.

They do what I almost did.

I wanted to spend time with my husband in US, so we almost filed K1, just to get the extra 8 months out of our relationship and then eventually marry and be in the same place.

We were in no way ready to marry so I'm glad we didn't pursue.

We were doing it out of convenience.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

I said I wouldn't argue...

Yes, thank you for not, this is exactly why I said I didn't want to get into it.

Because I knew people were just going to take it the wrong way.

Whatevs, I'm not talking about it anymore.

oldlady.gif