SAT

The Rant

3,156 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'm such a masochist that I'm enrolling her in Chinese when it opens, I'm not too sure if it next year or for 1st graders. They have a class just for kids who don't speak it at home. We have almost no Chinese people in our town, but many of the kids takes Mandarin. IMO, it is a pretty useful language and so hard to learn if you don't start at any early age. Same with Danish, she won't get the accent and throat noises right unless she learns them before 6 or 7.

I suggest you learn it along with her, it's nice to have someone to practice with.

Did you know there are more English speakers in China than in the US?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I suggest you learn it along with her, it's nice to have someone to practice with.

I was going to ask if they'd let me sit in the class with all the 5 and 6 year olds. :blush: I do so well now with reading children's books in Danish, maybe one day Chinese? :lol: It is actually a little embarrassing, I read the books aloud to my husband so he can correct my pronunciation.

Hey, maybe my husband should do it? He seems to be better at picking up languages than me. :devil:

I actually didn't know that. Even if people can speak your language, I do think it is respectful to try and learn theirs. I do wonder if it will ever take over from English as the world's language of trade. There is a huge difference between 5.5% of the world speaking English and 14% speaking Mandarin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers I'd like to point out that Danish isn't even on this list because there aren't even 7.5 million speakers. :hehe:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I was going to ask if they'd let me sit in the class with all the 5 and 6 year olds. :blush: I do so well now with reading children's books in Danish, maybe one day Chinese? :lol: It is actually a little embarrassing, I read the books aloud to my husband so he can correct my pronunciation.

Hey, maybe my husband should do it? He seems to be better at picking up languages than me. :devil:

I actually didn't know that. Even if people can speak your language, I do think it is respectful to try and learn theirs. I do wonder if it will ever take over from English as the world's language of trade. There is a huge difference between 5.5% of the world speaking English and 14% speaking Mandarin. http://en.wikipedia....native_speakers I'd like to point out that Danish isn't even on this list because there aren't even 7.5 million speakers. :hehe:

I really want to learn Mandarin, too. I took German throughout high school and university, but it's impossible to keep those skills when there's nobody to practice it with. My German was pretty good, and now it's dirt. laughing.gif I'd like to brush up on it, though, and get good again. Hubby and I also took a few semesters of French in uni, but I personally didn't like it too much. It's pretty similar to Spanish in the way it's structured, and like you said, for someone who knows English the words aren't too difficult to figure out. I just don't like the way French sounds. blush.gif I'd rather learn something interesting, like Mandarin or Farsi. I really want to look into taking a class when I get back to the States.

Your daughter will soak up whatever language you put her in like a sponge! It's amazing how quickly little kids learn those things. A friend of mine down here (who's American) moved his whole family here a few years ago, and they have three small boys. After living here for three years, all of them speak flawless Spanish, and it makes me so jealous of how authentic their accents sound! blush.gif My Spanish is good, but it's hard to lose the "American" accent unless you start from the time you're little.

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I've had a few miscarriages and one full term pregnancy. I know it can be very hard to lose a child when you are so ready for it. We got our BFP in October and lost it soon after, then it seems like everyone I know got pregnant that exact month and even some celebrities. That hurts because you keep thinking "I'd be that pregnant now". *hugs*

We are in our two week wait now, but I'm not overly optimistic.

Yeah, it isn't at all like when our parents were younger. I actually enjoyed not having any free time growing up between all the extra academics, sports, and cultural experiences, but I know every child isn't that way. It is hard being a parent and weighing all the different options. Such is life being born into a family like mine, though.

I would call our society "WASP" because that is basically what it is, but there are expectations and I'm not sure he is ready for them. :unsure: I've been coaching him, so we will see how that goes.

You can break a lease any time here with notice because there are no time limits. Actually an immigration condition to this country is that you can't have a lease that has an end time, someone's wife recently got denied a spousal visa and deported for that. Fun Danish immigration time?

I took French from the time I was 7 through university, but I can't say I use it much. I also took Latin, Spanish, and German (and then a semester of Portuguese and some Russian in uni), but don't ask me anything because I don't remember... :rofl: I found French to be helpful in learning word roots in English, etc. and it does open the doors to Spanish. Usually kids in my town take two languages - a romance language or German and then Latin or Mandarin. When she gets a little older, we can start with French. I don't want to get her too confused. :rofl: Spanish is probably more useful though, right?

I think it's a good decision to have your daughter learn Mandarin first because writing and speaking in that language is more complicated than Spanish. A college professor once said that children learn language best before 7 years old. I've always been interested in the process of second-language acquisition for kids. My husband is 100% Indian who has lived in the US since he was 3 years old but he still speaks Hindi and Maithili, also some French. I once asked his Indian cousin who married a Caucasian if she taught her kids Hindi and she accentuated her NO, because she thinks it rude to teach her kids Hindi when her husband can't understand it. Very strange belief. I don't care if I couldn't speak or write French, Mandarin, or Hindi but I'd like my kids to.

Hugs for you, too, Nola and here's to our next BFP and hopefully winter babies!

Is that because the total population of the US is only approximately 2.4% that of China's? unsure.gif

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

13 hour day working the graveyard shift Thursday night (got home at 11am Friday)

Worked 16 hours today from 5:30am till 9:30pm

Got another repeat tomorrow.

wait....lemme get out my world's smallest violin so I can play a tune for you Mr Harv.......:)

Timeline

anyway, I'm back from part 2 of the wedding.....there's so much to b1tch about that I'm not even going to b1tch too much......

I know I've missed a lot of what was said here. I won't be able to catch up.

Tiff and I have been bickering here and there about her family, etc.....

funny thing about how everyone here is so interested about what my income is......

I guess its for many reasons. (Mainly to see if I make more than their rich cousins/ son in laws/ etc, to which the answer is yes)

My standard answer has been, "last year I made about twice what I made the year before"

I looked at a 400K (ringgit) hilltop flat here in KL, absolutely gorgeous. 20 years old, newly renovated. about 2000 square ft.

And I get reminded of my SIL getting a 700k house and needing money for renovations......a 20 something couple........ what is this old world coming to?

people (everyone) are quite worried their status here, all show and mostly no substance.....a vain display of jewelry, cars , booze, and electronics.....

Example....Last night, I went to a higher end mall in the KLCC area (I'll get the names of the places later), anyway I was wearing a champion tank top, a pair of canvas shorts, no jewelry, no watch, no anything..... In my haste to pack for this trip, I didn't bring a watch.....so my buddy and I walked into a watch store and started looking in the Rolex cases.....Totally got ignored, then my much better dressed wife walks in with a Cartier bag in hand. Now realizing that we are a couple, the manager quickly moves to assist, only too glad to answer any questions....only now are we offered a seat and something to drink and surrounded by 3 sales reps and the greeter. I had done about the same thing in HK in 2004, but the American was spotted upon entry to the store, treated like royalty, and the sale was made....

Next....Tiff now thinks her name is Tiffany Trump....... <sigh> I armed her with a credit card and she's loaded and ready to go.....I keep trying to tell her that the

shopping is much much better in HK, she thinks I'm lying to her.........

The 5 year old savage, threw a tantrum/ uncontrollable rage IFO all guests at the wedding because he didn't get to ride in bride's car.....

Timeline

Steve... I pray that you never have to go back. Ugh.

Thanks Nik, th is is the rant, so I failed to mention the genuinely sincere and nice people that I've also met (Mainly from my MIL side of the family.)

One of Tiff's cousins married the son of the rich guy of the village (raw wicker export biz), and he was quite arrogant.......he was humbled really fast when he asked how much my house goes for in NY...... I'm almost tempted to drop a few hundred thou to build a house here and show him what luxury really is.....(but why, I don't ever wanna come back here)......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Steve, I'm sorry your trip has been so crappy so far. sad.gif I know what it's like to be surrounded by totally materialistic people, and it sucks. I hope it ends soon so you can go to Hong Kong and have a (hopefully) better time.

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Concentrate on the good Steve. :) That is what made Tiff into the person you love.

Rant - Hubs will not be ready to send the AOS when the bill is paid. But you can be damn sure the IV documents will be ready to go. :D

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I really want to learn Mandarin, too. I took German throughout high school and university, but it's impossible to keep those skills when there's nobody to practice it with. My German was pretty good, and now it's dirt. laughing.gif I'd like to brush up on it, though, and get good again. Hubby and I also took a few semesters of French in uni, but I personally didn't like it too much. It's pretty similar to Spanish in the way it's structured, and like you said, for someone who knows English the words aren't too difficult to figure out. I just don't like the way French sounds. blush.gif I'd rather learn something interesting, like Mandarin or Farsi. I really want to look into taking a class when I get back to the States.

Your daughter will soak up whatever language you put her in like a sponge! It's amazing how quickly little kids learn those things. A friend of mine down here (who's American) moved his whole family here a few years ago, and they have three small boys. After living here for three years, all of them speak flawless Spanish, and it makes me so jealous of how authentic their accents sound! blush.gif My Spanish is good, but it's hard to lose the "American" accent unless you start from the time you're little.

My husband thinks French sounds awful, but that is a little like pot calling kettle black from a person whose language involves prehistoric grunting noises. I think it is ok, but I've heard it for so long. I've completely forgotten 99% of everything I learned except French. I learned it so young that it has just stuck with me even though I don't use it. Without some review I don't think I'd be highly conversational, though. I don't know how people maintain an advanced level in many languages.

My daughter's Danish is better than mine, I'm going to admit it. She'll come up to me with no one coaching her and just from watching Danish tv and come out with something perfect in pronunciation that I just can't replicate.

I think it's a good decision to have your daughter learn Mandarin first because writing and speaking in that language is more complicated than Spanish. A college professor once said that children learn language best before 7 years old. I've always been interested in the process of second-language acquisition for kids. My husband is 100% Indian who has lived in the US since he was 3 years old but he still speaks Hindi and Maithili, also some French. I once asked his Indian cousin who married a Caucasian if she taught her kids Hindi and she accentuated her NO, because she thinks it rude to teach her kids Hindi when her husband can't understand it. Very strange belief. I don't care if I couldn't speak or write French, Mandarin, or Hindi but I'd like my kids to.

Hugs for you, too, Nola and here's to our next BFP and hopefully winter babies!

My daughter actually starting picking up Tamil from some of the Indian kids for the first few months she went to school here. She kept calling rice something strange and then I realized it was Tamil! :rofl: I think you should definitely teach your kids Hindi and whatever other languages.

Hopefully we both get lucky!

Thanks Nik, th is is the rant, so I failed to mention the genuinely sincere and nice people that I've also met (Mainly from my MIL side of the family.)

One of Tiff's cousins married the son of the rich guy of the village (raw wicker export biz), and he was quite arrogant.......he was humbled really fast when he asked how much my house goes for in NY...... I'm almost tempted to drop a few hundred thou to build a house here and show him what luxury really is.....(but why, I don't ever wanna come back here)......

Did you show him how much a broom closet goes for in Manhattan? :hehe: I know you live in Brooklyn, but that number should have scared him plenty. :whistle:

3/26/18 Biometrics

Next....Tiff now thinks her name is Tiffany Trump....... <sigh> I armed her with a credit card and she's loaded and ready to go.....I keep trying to tell her that the

shopping is much much better in HK, she thinks I'm lying to her.........

The 5 year old savage, threw a tantrum/ uncontrollable rage IFO all guests at the wedding because he didn't get to ride in bride's car.....

Ahhhh yes.. The things that men do for the love of their life.. I too "armed" (I love this term Steve) Gabriela with a credit card prior to her leaving for Miami. She was instantly transformed into "Chica Rica" (Rich Girl).. :rofl:

Hang in there Steve and stick to your guns.. It's all you can do with exception of enjoying any and all of the good experiences as they come along on this newest adventure..

You just have to ignore those people. Lots of people are so sure happiness will come iuf only they have a few more dollars, or a few more things. Those people never find any happiness except for fleeting moments while they spend money. It might stuck to be poor, but it sucks even more to chase happiness in material things. If you can't get Tiff to understand that, at least try to get your daughter to understand that.

My wife's family back home had their leaching relatives show up and clean out all the food again. The leaches own a rubber farm or some other low profit business and showed up for fiesta knowing there would be a party, not a big deal, but they dragged their employees and employees families with. That makes 20 unexpected people showing up expecting to be fed and entertained for the weekend. Plus they didn't even bring any good to share. Apparently they're assuming since the family has a daughter in America they've hit the lottery.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

So my husband didn't do his P90X today, lazy ####.

Also, he totally neglected to tell me that he has Thursday, Friday, and Monday off from work because of Easter. I didn't even know that Easter was this weekend. I don't even know why the Danes have an Easter holiday when they are the third most Atheist country in the world. Only 30% believe in God and maybe 1/3 of those are probably Muslim. :unsure: So Easter, super important, right?

Oh, my MIL is making us all going to some sort of ice skating show this weekend. She is super excited. Danish women perplex me with this stuff and an intense adult love of Twilight. :wacko: Why can't they ever just make sense to me?

I just wrote my last pen pal letter on what is OTC illegal in Denmark, the wonderful decongestant pseudo-ephedrine (my mom smuggled me in some). My pen pal is probably going to think I got hit with the stupid stick.

3/26/18 Biometrics

rant PMS probably enough said for the guys. Can't say anything to my wife at times when she's PMSing.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016