misa

Visiting the US while filing for K3

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please forgive me if this has been asked before (I thought I looked everywhere but couldn't find my answer).

I'm in Toronto (Canadian citizen, born and raised) and got married recently to a U.S. citizen. He's in Virginia so the first processing centre is in Vermont. We're sending in the I-130 next week.

But this isn't really about the K3 process, though I'm sure I'll have more questions about that in the K3 forum. :)

What I'm interested in is that once the K3 process has been started, can I visit him in Virginia easily and without hassle from US customs? Do I tell them the truth? I looked in the FAQs but it only dealt with visiting the US while waiting for a K3.

Thanks in advance! :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

you might have some hassle....

always tell the truth, just don't give out more info then they ask for.... I am not sure if that makes sense

and bring along lots of proof or ties that show you have every intention of returning back to Canada...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Thanks for the advice.

I never drive down there. I always fly (since I don't drive or have a license) so I've always got a return ticket. I'll bring the suggested documentation with me too (letter from employer, bank statements, pay stubs, etc.).

I'm wondering though... my next visit will be before the first part of the petition is received. Think I should just say I'm "visiting friends for US Thanksgiving"? Technically it's true, since he is a friend...

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for the advice.

I never drive down there. I always fly (since I don't drive or have a license) so I've always got a return ticket. I'll bring the suggested documentation with me too (letter from employer, bank statements, pay stubs, etc.).

I'm wondering though... my next visit will be before the first part of the petition is received. Think I should just say I'm "visiting friends for US Thanksgiving"? Technically it's true, since he is a friend...

From our experience, we never said we were visiting anyone other than each other.........boyfriend/girlfriend..then fiance ..then spouse. We'd get the " when are u getting married" "have you filed immigration " etc. Now I do have to say that my husband is military and often travels in uniform. However, even when he didnt we have yet to be hassled...well nothing outside of the norm and he's never had to show his proof of ties support. If one were to base their ability to travel on our experience(s) it would be a resounding YES absolutely go for it and dont worry....however not all experiences are the same. We took a calculated risk and felt it safe to travel regularly. So far so good......hopefully only 2 more crossings before he has his interview.< cross fingers>

My advice is to be honest , smile ,look em in the eye and dont offer more than they ask for.

Good Luck

google.gif

Timeline

Thanks! This makes me feel a bit better.

I should also mention that I don't travel to the U.S. for more than 3-5 days at a time maximum. This year I've gone down to the U.S. um... 4 times so far with no problems in saying I'm visiting friends.

I guess I'm just a little worried about when I have to say, "Visiting my husband". But I'll tell them the truth and have lots of documentation with me (including my return ticket/itinerary).

Though another question... when you file the first part of the K3 petition and you receive your first notification, is that application tied into your name/passport that they run through at US customs at POE?

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes been covered many times here on VJ. Many have no problems, while some do get denied. I travelled monthly whiel my cr-1 was ongoing and never had a problem. Pretty much comes down to the POE officer some are more picky than others, or he may just be having a bad day!! Have evidence of ties to Canada (lease letter from employer) they help, but don't gaurentee entry. Best of luck, no can say yes or no if you will get in, just have a back up plan in case you get denied entry.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes, it has been known that when you're crossing the border, whether a land crossing or at an airport, that when they scan your passport they have access to the information at USCIS and ongoing petitions. If your petition has been received by USCIS, its always better to be truthful and say you're visiting your husband for the holiday and you're going back to Canada and back to work on XX date.

The fact you've been back and forth a few times already this year will also be known, and they may question those other visits. If for some reason they've flagged you and entered into the system that on previous visits you said you were visiting "friends" and now you're visiting your husband, they may pull you in to secondary inspection. Or they may not, depends on their mood.

I never lied when I was crossing to see my boyfriend/fiance/husband. I always said where I was going, why, and for how long. I had obvious ties back to Canada, because I also travelled frequently to the US for my job.

None of this is a guarantee that you'll be allowed entry. But if your husband can send you a photocopy of the NOA receipt when he gets it, that also may help to show that you are trying to do things the legal way. But only offer up evidence when asked for it. And only answer questions that they ask you, don't elaborate, and don't lie. It'll always come back to bite you in the ###.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Thanks again everyone!

I've not visited him after having been married (we got married last weekend , civil ceremony) and we're filing the K3 sometime this coming week when he gets his birth certificate in the mail.

I think I'll just tell the the truth that I'm visiting my husband for the holidays and I'll definitely not offer up any more information than they ask.

Another question: I've never had my passport stamped by US customs except on the last visit. Does that mean anything?

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Through my many times through Customs, sometimes they stamp, sometimes they don't!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Through my many times through Customs, sometimes they stamp, sometimes they don't!!
It's so bizarre! I guess it depends on the customs agent and whether they feel like stamping, huh?

AOS & EAD Timeline

He is planning to visit me over New Year's, and he'll have a letter from his employer. If he gets denied, at least he's crossing customs on that side. But neither of us have ever been hassled.

Usually, when I travel into Canada, and they ask why, it's a two part answer: 'What's the purpose of your visit?' 'Who are you staying with?' Answered with: 'vacation/spring break/Christmas' and 'my boyfriend' and sometimes chattering about visiting Jasper. Sometimes they ask me what I do back in Connecticut.

Although there was the one time where they asked me all about him, instead. Very weird. I wanted to point out that *I* was the one they had to let in, as he was already there!

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

They've never really asked me about him, just me (purpose of your visit) and what I do for a living (what kind of work do you do).

The last time they just asked how I knew this "friend" (to which I replied "friends of friends in upstate NY", which is true).

I guess I'm just feeling a little panicky now as we start the K3 process and everything is just so overwhelming.

Edited by misa

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

if they ask, I would be honest and tell then you are going to visit your husband, the worst that could happen is that you get denied entry, which really won't effect your visa process...

it would effect it more if you lied and they found out... trust me on this :whistle:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
if they ask, I would be honest and tell then you are going to visit your husband, the worst that could happen is that you get denied entry, which really won't effect your visa process...

it would effect it more if you lied and they found out... trust me on this :whistle:

Thanks very much. I'll just be honest. I *hope* that they don't deny entry since that would royally suck not to be able to spend time with him. Plus you know, being out the flight money (which is of course secondary to not being able to see him).

AOS & EAD Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.