kejira

Sydney Medical

24 posts in this topic

Our medical was at 9am yesterday, but we got there REALLY early. On the off chance that they might be able to see us early, we went in at 7:30am. The doctor was able to see us right then! Hubby had to go wee in a cup, then show the doctor his shot records (hubby ended up needing his measles and mumps shot, cost $35). After that he had to go give blood, cost $25, then we had to walk a few blocks away to get his chest x-ray, cost $80. After the x-ray we walked back to the doctor's office where we paid $310 (including the cost of the shot) for the visit. Total was $410.

We had to call the doctor's office several times before our appointment because we didn't have 3 Australian sized passport photos for the appointment. We did however have 3 US sized passport photos left over from the visa process, and the doctor's office said that it would be fine, just as long as the pictures are all the same.

All on all, it was a good trip. We didn't need our A4 express envelope because we are going to personally pick up our results the morning of our visa interview (this course of action was recommended to us by Dr. Waks as there was not going to be enough time to actually send the results to the consulate before our interview).

I am the USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good thing you had the US passport sized photos as THAT is the size you need, not Australian.

Good thing you had the US passport sized photos as THAT is the size you need, not Australian.

They told us, when we made the appointment, and we needed Australian sized passport photos. :blink: When we handed the photos over, the girl at the front desk cropped them down anyway.

None the less, we got everything done!

Edited by kejira

I am the USC.

Timeline

They told us, when we made the appointment, and we needed Australian sized passport photos. :blink: When we handed the photos over, the girl at the front desk cropped them down anyway.

None the less, we got everything done!

Probably because they're so much easier to get! :D

Timeline

Hi I am in Brisbane and I am assuming that the medical would be the same here but can you please tell me what injections you had to have because I will go and have some before my medical.. It might be cheaper I might be able to claim some on Medicare lol

Good luck for your interview, hopefully mine will be very soon.

Hi I am in Brisbane and I am assuming that the medical would be the same here but can you please tell me what injections you had to have because I will go and have some before my medical.. It might be cheaper I might be able to claim some on Medicare lol

Good luck for your interview, hopefully mine will be very soon.

My husband didn't have any records at all, so we had to have a blood test to see what he was immune to. At our local doctor's office, he got a Flu shot; Hep B steps 1 and 2; tetanus; rubella; polio; and measles and mumps he had at his medical even though his blood tests said he was immune already. It cost a pretty penny, so I wouldn't say that you are getting them for travel. I would just say that you want to make sure that you are up to date on everything. We mentioned that we were doing it for travel to the US and we had to pay full price for the shots, though the blood work test was free/covered.

My husband really wanted to get a rabies shot as well, but our doctor advised us that it would really cost a lot to have it here, since there's really no rabies here in Australia.

I am the USC.

Timeline

My husband didn't have any records at all, so we had to have a blood test to see what he was immune to. At our local doctor's office, he got a Flu shot; Hep B steps 1 and 2; tetanus; rubella; polio; and measles and mumps he had at his medical even though his blood tests said he was immune already. It cost a pretty penny, so I wouldn't say that you are getting them for travel. I would just say that you want to make sure that you are up to date on everything. We mentioned that we were doing it for travel to the US and we had to pay full price for the shots, though the blood work test was free/covered.

My husband really wanted to get a rabies shot as well, but our doctor advised us that it would really cost a lot to have it here, since there's really no rabies here in Australia.

Hep isn't required if you're over 18. Polio isn't required either.

Hep isn't required if you're over 18. Polio isn't required either.

Yep, that's true. I wanted to MAKE SURE that nothing could keep us from being approved, since we had zero records from his childhood. I don't think that we are going to get the third shot in Hep B.

But Vanessa is right and if you don't want the extra expense I would just skip Hep and polio.

I am the USC.

Timeline

Thank you guys so much, you are all very helpful.

I am pretty sure my measle mumps is up to date as I had one just before I fell pregnant with my daughter and she is only 10 years old... But I will check on how long it lasts.

Still waiting on hearing from the NVC.... I finally gave up the stress of waiting and emailed them this morning... so lets hope I hear something back. :-)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Do you need anything other than the ones you mentioned? I got all those as a child and still have the paper work for them, so just wondering if there's any extra your supposed to have?

AOS+EAD Sent 8-9-13

AOS+EAD Received 8-13-13

EAD NOA1 8-13-13

AOS NOA1 8-15-13

AOS+EAD Biometrics 9-17-2013, Walk-In 8-29-2013

EAD Approved 10-15-13

AOS Interview 12-18-13

E-REQUEST 2-3-14

INFOPASS Appointment 2-12-14

AOS Approved 2-24-2014

Do you need anything other than the ones you mentioned? I got all those as a child and still have the paper work for them, so just wondering if there's any extra your supposed to have?

I'll attach what Dr. Waks gave us at the medical exam. My husband is 24 years old.

post-148086-0-52872600-1360990523_thumb.jpg

Edited by kejira

I am the USC.

Timeline

This has the table (page 5) that determines what shots you need for your age: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/mmwr-adult-schedule.pdf

These are the shot required for immigration (depending on your age): http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3384cc5222ff5210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=6abe6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

So you only need what shots are on the 2nd link based on the table from the first link. Usually only tdap, MMR, flu shot (if season) and varicella (or history of it).

Our medical was at 9am yesterday, but we got there REALLY early. On the off chance that they might be able to see us early, we went in at 7:30am. The doctor was able to see us right then! Hubby had to go wee in a cup, then show the doctor his shot records (hubby ended up needing his measles and mumps shot, cost $35). After that he had to go give blood, cost $25, then we had to walk a few blocks away to get his chest x-ray, cost $80. After the x-ray we walked back to the doctor's office where we paid $310 (including the cost of the shot) for the visit. Total was $410.

We had to call the doctor's office several times before our appointment because we didn't have 3 Australian sized passport photos for the appointment. We did however have 3 US sized passport photos left over from the visa process, and the doctor's office said that it would be fine, just as long as the pictures are all the same.

All on all, it was a good trip. We didn't need our A4 express envelope because we are going to personally pick up our results the morning of our visa interview (this course of action was recommended to us by Dr. Waks as there was not going to be enough time to actually send the results to the consulate before our interview).

Wow reading this sounds just like what i went through on tuesday except i had all my Vac's done beforehand and proof of immuniy to chicken pox...Im just double, tripple checking i have all my documents for tueday interview...dont think need photos or proof of relationship as we have plently of evidence plus 6 year old child...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.