Ginet

Honestly, I think we are going to get denied

39 posts in this topic

Charged as in accused yes, arrested yes. After trial with lawyers etc found not guilty.

You are right about that, using the correct terminology and such. That is why I am trying to educate myself as much as possible regarding this situation so that I won't face unnecessary problems.

You are right about that, using the correct terminology and such. That is why I am trying to educate myself as much as possible regarding this situation so that I won't face unnecessary problems.

Make sure both of you understand this completely and that he also uses the correct legal terms because he is the one eventually going for the interview. He needs to be able to explain this clearly and concisely. Best of luck to you!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

nah your just making yourself worrying dear...remember the law your innocence until proven guilty in his case he was proven NOT guilty so means no criminal record :thumbs:

hey cheer up beside it's valentines day :thumbs:

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

It wasn't in the US. It was in his country, Dominican Republic. His police certificate is clear, he has nothing. He was completely proven not guilty. He has no criminal record, just this court record of the not guilty verdict.

I think you answered your own query.

I would hope and like to believe if you were suspected of something and found NOT guilty, that it means that the suspicion was invalid and cannot be used against you. Innocent until proven guilty.. or still innocent :)

10/25/10 .. Met in Auckland, NZ

09/05/12 .. Got Married in Santa Barbara, CA

USCIS:

09/26/12 .. I-130 Sent

10/07/12 .. I-130 Returned. Checkmarks did not print. Doh!

10/15/12 .. I-130 Sent AGAIN

10/19/12 .. NOA1 date

11/20/12 .. File was transferred to my "local field office" (Seattle)

12/14/12 .. Touch! Officially online!

01/22/13 .. NOA2 date (95 days)

NVC:

01/28/13 .. NVC receives case

02/11/13 .. Case number assigned

02/12/13 .. AOS bill paid

02/14/13 .. AOS bill shown PAID

02/14/13 .. AOS packet sent

02/26/13 .. AOS Checklist received

02/26/13 .. IV bill paid

02/26/13 .. IV packet and AOS Checklist packet sent

03/06/13 .. IV bill shown PAID

03/08/13 .. IV Checklist sent

03/25/13 .. 2nd AOS Checklist sent

04/04/13 .. Case Complete

Consulate:

04/16/13 .. Medical

05/21/13 .. Interview: Approved!

nah your just making yourself worrying dear...remember the law your innocence until proven guilty in his case he was proven NOT guilty so means no criminal record :thumbs:

I will take that and go with that. I am sick of worrying about something that was a thing of the past and cured the way it was supposed to. Thanks

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Accuracy is extremely important in this kind of case. There's actually no such thing as "proven NOT guilty". He was found not guilty because there was not enough evidence to find him guilty. This is not the same as even being found innocent and does NOT mean he was innocent by any stretch of the imagination. A Consular officer is going to make a judgment call based on the information available and that judgement call does NOT require evidence sufficient for conviction but only "reason to believe". The OP has reason to be concerned but there is really nothing to do but be prepared for the interview and any possible result.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

^^:thumbs: Pushbrk.

The OP should be concerned. While it might be preferable to believe its 'innocent until proven guilty', the policy is not written that way. The policy states- reason to believe.

Someone found not guilty or innocent by the court can still be believed to be guilty by the CO. Especially if the reason they were found innocent was because of a technicality.

They must prepare and not just let everything hinge on the fact that the not guilty verdict will be enough, because it may not be.

^^:thumbs: Pushbrk.

The OP should be concerned. While it might be preferable to believe its 'innocent until proven guilty', the policy is not written that way. The policy states- reason to believe.

Someone found not guilty or innocent by the court can still be believed to be guilty by the CO. Especially if the reason they were found innocent was because of a technicality.

They must prepare and not just let everything hinge on the fact that the not guilty verdict will be enough, because it may not be.

This is absolutely true. The immigration process itself is not a court and the immigrant is not being charged with a crime, therefore "innocent until proven guilty" does not even apply. All they are doing is making a determination of risk based on evidence before them.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.