darling&eddy

providing prove that your marriage is real

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Haiti
Timeline

I had been with my husband for 2 years, but been married for 3 months. We are in the process of filling out his paper since he is illegal. The problem is we both stay with my mom until we can get his status change since his not able to work. My question is since we don't have anything under our name, how can we prove that our marriage is real? Can my mother write a letter stating that she is the one providing for us. Also he don't have a ssn that's why I'm not able to add him to anything such as insurance, bank acctount and ext. SoSo how can i prove that our marriage is bonafied because im trying for him to become legal so we can start our life.

Does he qualify for Deferred Action? If not, he'll have to return to his home country. If you want to send in statements that your mother has been harboring an illegal alien, that's your call, just be aware of the illegality of that.

How old is he? How long has he been here? Did he come here legally and now is staying on an expired visa, or did he come in illegally?

Disregard the above, as it is wrong.

Anyway, I assume by "illegal" you mean he entered with a visa and overstayed, since you are talking about changing his status.

Your mother can write an affidavit that you live with her; yes. USCIS understands newlyweds don't have a lot of evidence, and you can only send them what you have. There is no one piece of paper that will prove it to them, so just do the best you can. You will have a mandatory interview and they can ask you questions there about your lived together. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As mentioned, there is a big difference between him being an illegal (having swum across the river or similar), or having come in on a visa and overstayed that visa.

In general terms, many bills will let you add a second name, so the envelope is addressed to both names. Some banks will not require SSN, shop around. What about at your work, is he listed as next of kin? Can you provide photos from throughout your relationship and the wedding? Do you have a pastor who'd write an affadavit of relationship, or maybe your doctor who has seen you together?

As mentioned, there is a big difference between him being an illegal (having swum across the river or similar), or having come in on a visa and overstayed that visa.

In general terms, many bills will let you add a second name, so the envelope is addressed to both names. Some banks will not require SSN, shop around. What about at your work, is he listed as next of kin? Can you provide photos from throughout your relationship and the wedding? Do you have a pastor who'd write an affadavit of relationship, or maybe your doctor who has seen you together?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Disregard the above, as it is wrong.

Anyway, I assume by "illegal" you mean he entered with a visa and overstayed, since you are talking about changing his status.

Your mother can write an affidavit that you live with her; yes. USCIS understands newlyweds don't have a lot of evidence, and you can only send them what you have. There is no one piece of paper that will prove it to them, so just do the best you can. You will have a mandatory interview and they can ask you questions there about your lived together. Good luck.

which is exactly why I asked if he entered illegally or is on an expired visa, since the poster didn't state it. And yes, if he did enter illegally, her mother is harboring an illegal alien, and that is in fact illegal.

which is exactly why I asked if he entered illegally or is on an expired visa, since the poster didn't state it. And yes, if he did enter illegally, her mother is harboring an illegal alien, and that is in fact illegal.

wait until the poster replies with more info. you're only assuming 1 of 2 possible scenarios. I don't recall any legislation saying that it's ok to jump the border, get married, then you're perfectly legal. Marriage to a USC doesn't make you legal. There are proper procedures that must be followed, which is what fiancé and spousal visas were designed for.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Since the OP's profile states that the noncitizen spouse is from Haiti, I suspect that the spouse did not enter without inspection.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Filed: Other Country: Haiti
Timeline

He had came to the u.s with a visa because his father who is also a u.s citizen had petition for him and his siblings but due to the fact that his father Miss their interview date his case was denied which leave me to start the process again and petition for him

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from General Immigration to AOS from work/ tourist etc visa as OP states her husband came on a visa ***

Follow this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.