Bill and Tanya

5 year ban - file for waiver before i129f?

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline
...So we drove to the US embassy and after standing in line for the better part of an hour, made it to a bullet proof window where I had to ask for someone inside that spoke English? This probably should have been my first warning, a US embassy with few staff members who spoke English. However, I asked the question, and was told that that permits to cross were given at the bridge, and I would have to ask there.

(...) [F]inally at the crossing, I handed him all our documents, and explained that we were here looking for information about a permit to go shopping for the day in El Paso, and that we were told to inquire at the bridge by the US embassy.

If you're well-off, dress well, and driving an Audi, then you should probably spring for a lawyer instead of taking immigration advice from a hotel manager in Juarez.
The hotel manager did not give legal advice, just simply that shopping in El Paso was more advised to shopping in Juarez due to my ethnic race. The advice to go to the bridge was given to me by the US embassy, but I know now that they probably meant that a "permit" is predicated upon already having a valid entry visa, and a "shopping permit" simply does not exist.

I think this is the most important part of your story. As you can see, even the members here misunderstood you, so that point should be made clear.

I do not know when a waiver should be filed, but if I may, I would advise you to shorten the story (it is too long, the breakfast, movie and waiting, etc. is not relevant). You can simply say you did not feel too safe in the city (which is reasonable) and were wondering if you could take her shopping to El Paso. To seek advice, you went to the US Embassy where you were told to ask at the border.

How you felt, what you went through and how much gas you spent driving back and forth is not important unless you're suing them for this. I doubt you could, as they have a lot of freedom in deciding what to do with people trying to enter the US, but maybe it is?

Anyways, stick to the point, explain the misunderstanding in the waiver and make sure you stress out where the bad advice came from.

Good luck to you both! :star:

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Okay something about this isn't making sense, if the gf never had any violations aginst US immigration why was a 5 year ban put aginst her. She could have withdrawn her request to enter the US, and there would not have been any ban put against her. Sorry but something isn't making sense here.

I did read his prior post.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think this is the most important part of your story. As you can see, even the members here misunderstood you, so that point should be made clear.

I do not know when a waiver should be filed, but if I may, I would advise you to shorten the story (it is too long, the breakfast, movie and waiting, etc. is not relevant). You can simply say you did not feel too safe in the city (which is reasonable) and were wondering if you could take her shopping to El Paso. To seek advice, you went to the US Embassy where you were told to ask at the border.

How you felt, what you went through and how much gas you spent driving back and forth is not important unless you're suing them for this. I doubt you could, as they have a lot of freedom in deciding what to do with people trying to enter the US, but maybe it is?

Anyways, stick to the point, explain the misunderstanding in the waiver and make sure you stress out where the bad advice came from.

Good luck to you both! :star:

Yes, I apologized for such a long post, but judging from the first thread I started, people here seem to want more and more details, so rather than spread the entire story over 5 pages of posts, answering every seemingly important request for information, I detailed the story in entirety for those that want them. The question for those who do not like to read was placed down below the tl;dr mark. I agree with you in that these are important details, but in order to find that needle in the haystack, you first must have a haystack. Welcome to my haystack! :help:

ü Met online - Oct 31, 2012

ü Met in Mexico - Jan 21, 2013 Q

ü Expedited removal and 5 year ban vacated - Mar 21, 2013

ü I129F sent - Apr 16, 2013 +

ü I129F confirmed received - Apr 19, 2013

ü USCIS Acceptance Confirmation (NOA1) - Apr 25, 2013 +

ü Met in Mexico - Jun 21, 2013 Q

ü Email, petition transferred to another office - Jul 10, 2013

ü Hard copy, petition confirmed transferred to Texas - Jul 14, 2013 +

ü Email notification of NOA2 - Approved!!! (100 days) - Jul 28, 2013

ü Hard copy NOA2 - Sep 21, 2013 +

ü NVC case number - Sep 9, 2013 (

ü Hard copy NVC case number - Sep 15, 2013 +

ü Interview scheduled for Oct 4. 2013 - Approved!!!!

ü Visas received!!! - Oct 23, 2013 +

ü Port of entry - Nov 12, 2013 Q

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

ü AOJ Interview - Jul 1, 2014

ü Green Cards Received - Jul 14, 2014 +

ü 1st anniversary -  Dec 24, 2014 

ü 2nd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2015 

ü Applied for removal of conditions - Jul 14, 2016 +

ü 3rd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2016 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I agree that something is very fishy about getting a 5 year ban for an attempt to enter. She never really did so either she really doesn't have a ban or there More up the story.

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Okay something about this isn't making sense, if the gf never had any violations aginst US immigration why was a 5 year ban put aginst her. She could have withdrawn her request to enter the US, and there would not have been any ban put against her. Sorry but something isn't making sense here.

I did read his prior post.

As I outlined in my story, not once were we told that a "shopping permit" did not exist, and everyone continued with what appeared to be normal procedures. Had one person told us this, we would happily have turned around and gone back to the hotel.

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You can't file the waiver with the petition. Wait until she is denied, and have it ready to file the instant she is denied (she can hand it to them). Since in the end it was all a misunderstanding, she might not be denied at all.

I agree with Harpa on this :) It seems like the smart way to go!

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

1. Get a lawyer. A GOOD one. Find recommendations on immigrate2us.net

2. Find out, if possible, why she has a 5 year ban... these aren't just given to people like that. She, sorry to say, must have some previous history with US immigration she hasn't told you about.

3. Never ever take advice from hotel managers on this again.

Correct no one gets a 5 year ban for an attempt to enter. There is more to her immigration problems than what you have chosen to share. She could have withdrawn her request to enter and walked away without any penalties being applied to her.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

As I outlined in my story, not once were we told that a "shopping permit" did not exist, and everyone continued with what appeared to be normal procedures. Had one person told us this, we would happily have turned around and gone back to the hotel.

Please understand your GF has not told you everything or else you are not sharing everything with us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You also never offered to them that she had no visa.

What would Forest Gump say?

Please understand your GF has not told you everything or else you are not sharing everything with us.

Yep something is no aligning up.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Yep many pieces missing, so I shall wait. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

That's why she was calm, cool and collect when they had detained her.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I still think from the story that the US officials thought she was in Mexico illegally and attempting to enter the US illegally. It is not uncommon for persons to obtain a visa to Mexico, since it is much easier than obtaining a US visa, then entering the US illegally or for them to go to Mexico illegally and then attempt to cross into the US. There may also have been a bit of a communication gap, such as them perhaps asking something like "you have a visa? (meaning for Mexico) and her saying "No" (meaning for the US).

Nevertheless, you can't file the waiver until the visa is denied. This doesn't mean you can't have the package ready to send as soon as the consular officer says denied but you are eligible to file the I-601 waiver.

She may have be denied entry, but he stated she received a ban, so just asking for a visa does not give you a 5 yer ban.

Again, everyone is skirting the facts, a ban is no issued unless a law has been violated. Asking for a one day pass is not breaking any immigration laws.

She could have withdrawl her request to enter the US, and turned around and walk right back to the Mexico side of the POE, without a ban being issued. She came up in their computer and hey issued this ban based on what they saw there.

Op I am saying this again, either you don't have all of the facts or she was using someone else ID if your GF has never been in the US before.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I wanted to give this thread an update... Thanks to the assistance from several very wonderful members here on VJ, I submitted request to have the order of removal vacated. Today I received word that the order has been vacated. Thanks to everyone who helped with this, and gave such constructive advice.

Now on to the K1 process! :dance:

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.