VenusAngel

Disheartening Boston Cititzenship Interview

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My interview didn't go so well and I left the Boston JFK Building frazzled and upset. I felt my interviewer was sarcastic and rude. I forgot his name ...I want to say his last name was Mendez or Rodriguez. He sat by a cubicle facing the window close to the door where you enter.

He asked where and how I met my husband. I gave him the answer. He asked what I did for a living. I named my employer, which is fairly recognizable. He dismissively said he never heard of it. Then he asked why I live and work here in Boston when my employer is headquartered elsewhere in the state. I explained I was a satellite office. He suspiciously asked why they needed a satellite office in Boston. I said things happen in Boston that are relevant to other parts of the state. He took issue with this and seemed suspicious.

We went into the 6 questions pretty quickly:

1) What's the ocean on the west coast?

2) What happened on 9/11?

3) What do the thirteen stripes represent?

4) What is the rule of law?

5) How old do citizens have to be to vote for the president?

I forgot what the sixth question was. I answered them correctly. He didn't ask me to read a phrase, he just handed me a pen and asked me to write "There are one hundred senators."

He asked what my husband does for a living. I said he's a student. He asked for my tax forms. I handed them to him and he questioned why I didn't file jointly with my husband. I said it's because he is a dependent of his family. He asked how old he was and why I wasn't supporting him. Again, I said he receives money from his family. While asking me these questions he was curt, suspicious, and judgmental.

He commented that I leave the country a lot. I said that is true, I visit my family about 5-11 times a year on holiday weekends (They live across the border in Canada, so it's not far away). He asked if I had left since filing. I said yes, I had left Labor Day Weekend, Thanksgiving and Christmas. He told me to write it down on a paper. I asked if I could see what the last departure in 2012 I had written down was. He seemed annoyed. After I asked again, he handed me the application and I saw that I had already written that I had left Labor Day Weekend, so I wrote down that I left during Thanksgiving and Christmas. He questioned why I didn't write down that I had left Labor Day Weekend. I explained to him that I had already written that down on the application. He seemed annoyed, distrustful and suspicious again.

He started asking me other questions. Do you support communism? No. Have you ever been arrested/detained? No. Are you a spy? No. He scoffed and said "Not yet?" -- which I felt was inappropriate. I slightly balked and felt uncomfortable when he asked if I would bear arms and fight for the country. Me, bear arms? I hesitated somewhat incredulous, but I said yes.

He ended the interview and said I travel out of the country too much and it will have to be reviewed. I was flabbergasted. I said I only leave maybe once a month or once every other month for 2-3 days at a time. He said that I wasn't allowed to leave more that half a year at a time. I said I've never been gone that long, that my days out of the country would _definitely_ not amount to that. He looked at me like I was wrong and asked "Definitely?" "Yes, definitely," I said.

He asked me to leave and said I would get an answer in a couple of weeks.

I was frazzled. I had papers scattered around me. I began collecting them and he asked me to hurry up and leave.

Altogether, I felt like I was being interrogated like a criminal. He made me feel like it was a crime to visit my family (at most) once a month on weekends. He was rude, sarcastic and altogether unpleasant. I hope no one else has an experience like I did!

I-751

07/19/2011: I-751 sent VSC

08/01/2011: NOA received

08/26/2011: Biometrics Appointment

I-485, I-130, I-765, & I-131

04/27/2009: Enter USA as Visitor

06/04/2009: Spontaneously marry my American sweetie in Massachusetts - yay!

06/19/2009: Mail I-485, I-130, I-765, and I-131 to USCIS

06/21/2009: NOA Receipt Date for I-485, I-130, I-765, and I-131

06/24/2009: NOA Notice Date for I-485, I-130, I-765, and I-131

06/30/2009: Biometrics Notice Date

07/09/2009: Request for Initial Evidence (I-485) - insufficient tax documentation

07/17/2009: Mailed off requested evidence - Added a joint sponsor with required tax documentation, and reiterated that my husband doesn't earn an income and so doesn't have any tax documentation for the recent tax year. I sent the most recent available tax documentation he had though, which was from 2005.

07/28/2009: Biometrics Appointment for I485 and I765

08/12/2009: AP approval notice sent and EAD card production ordered

08/17/2009: EAD approval notice sent

...waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Did you file based on three or five year of permanent residency? The fact that you didn't file your taxes together was the problem. Now the officers are very suspicious about that because they think you just got married to get your green card. I had almost the same problem and it took three years and different state to be able to get my citizenship even though I had a child with my ex-wife and paying child support. I suggest you wait and hopefully they give the benefit of doubts and approve you. My bet is that they will send you a letter doubting your marriage. Anyway good luck

wow, that seems quite unprofessional. I'm sorry about your experience. I am sure everything will work out fine at the end.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Did you file based on three or five year of permanent residency? The fact that you didn't file your taxes together was the problem. Now the officers are very suspicious about that because they think you just got married to get your green card. I had almost the same problem and it took three years and different state to be able to get my citizenship even though I had a child with my ex-wife and paying child support. I suggest you wait and hopefully they give the benefit of doubts and approve you. My bet is that they will send you a letter doubting your marriage. Anyway good luck

I was going to say it is probably because your husband is married and is still supported by his parents and claimed on their taxes. That is really unusual in America. I know when I got married for the first time at 20, my mother stopped claiming me and it cost her a pretty penny too.

I hope everything goes ok, though. :luv:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Mendez or Rodriguez may have been good for my wife and stepdaughter with Hispanic heritage, but wife's was a Black woman, and stepdaughter's was Asian, both with reputations for not liking Hispanics. And both given a very difficult time at their interviews, my senator straightened that out in a hurry due to extensive delays. Can't say for sure if the differences in nationalities makes a difference, but sure suspect.

Nether of their IO's were well versed in the English language, how was yours? You certainly didn't break any of the travel rules, many Canadians made hundreds of trips without problems.

While I have met several IO's and apologetic field office managers, never met a supervisor, the three people solely responsible for your destiny. Still doesn't seem right to me holding several governmental certifications where I met a board, not just one individual.

Did you get any indication about your oath ceremony? I think not, but if you don't hear anything in the next 120 days or even close, time to contact your senators office. Should find that helpful, after all, they are after your vote in the next election. I sent mine a small campaign contribution, talk about being helpful. Just a fraction of the cost of hiring an immigration attorney and far more effective. Even invited my wife and me to a campaign dinner, can tell you, our senators know how to eat very well.

Could travel freely to Canada since the beginning of time, we have many divisions up there. But since Bush made an executive decision, really a first class pain in the a$$ to go up there, even far worse coming back. If Obama reverses that, he can, with just one terrorist coming in, that would end his career.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was hoping my experience would serve as an example of an interview that did not come with a kind, humble or pleasant immigration officer. While reading the experiences of so many others, I almost came to expect an IO with these kind of characteristics, and was thrown off when that was not the case.

Thank you for all your responses, they've been quite enlightening. I did not realize that a joint filing was so important. I know many couples who keep their finances separate and we count ourselves in that category. We share expenses but have separate bank accounts. I have a job and my husband chooses not to work as he receives a generous allowance from his family. I submitted tax forms as married filed separately as he was a dependent of his family, which was fine by me. We may reevaluate that decision if it turns out that this may effect my naturalization application.

But the immigration officer seemed more concerned with the number of days I've been out of the country. I may have left the country a half dozen times for 2-3 days at a time in 2010 and 2011. The frequency of my visits increased in 2012 when my sister had a baby. I felt a desire to visit more often and see my niece grow up. I couldn't have been gone more than 70 days in the past three years. That's far below the minimum residency requirement for citizenship.

In any event, I hope this inconvenience resolves itself in the coming weeks...

I-751

07/19/2011: I-751 sent VSC

08/01/2011: NOA received

08/26/2011: Biometrics Appointment

I-485, I-130, I-765, & I-131

04/27/2009: Enter USA as Visitor

06/04/2009: Spontaneously marry my American sweetie in Massachusetts - yay!

06/19/2009: Mail I-485, I-130, I-765, and I-131 to USCIS

06/21/2009: NOA Receipt Date for I-485, I-130, I-765, and I-131

06/24/2009: NOA Notice Date for I-485, I-130, I-765, and I-131

06/30/2009: Biometrics Notice Date

07/09/2009: Request for Initial Evidence (I-485) - insufficient tax documentation

07/17/2009: Mailed off requested evidence - Added a joint sponsor with required tax documentation, and reiterated that my husband doesn't earn an income and so doesn't have any tax documentation for the recent tax year. I sent the most recent available tax documentation he had though, which was from 2005.

07/28/2009: Biometrics Appointment for I485 and I765

08/12/2009: AP approval notice sent and EAD card production ordered

08/17/2009: EAD approval notice sent

...waiting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Take heart in that have rules to follow. You haven't broken the rules by being out "so much" (I've spent 2 1/2 months out). You also haven't broken the rules by not filing tax jointly, obviously it wasn't a problem for ROC.

I find your relationship a little unconventional, but if everyone were the same the world would be boring.

Oh Come On!!! You can't be serious as to the way you were treated at the USCIS Office at Boston's JFK Building.. I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that a person could or would risk losing their well paying extremely easy job for disrespecting, accussing, belittling, embarrassing, and harrassing a client whom they have no idea who they are. You must have or get this persons name as my wife will be going to the same office in the next few months for her interview which I will be attending with her and if indeed this rude arogant person exists and she gets him as the interviewer and he even attempts in the slightest way to mistreat her like you say he did you then I can assure you it will be the last human being he ever has contact with as I will be the last person he ever sees on GOD's green earth. And I promise you that. I keep my promises.

My interview didn't go so well and I left the Boston JFK Building frazzled and upset. I felt my interviewer was sarcastic and rude. I forgot his name ...I want to say his last name was Mendez or Rodriguez. He sat by a cubicle facing the window close to the door where you enter.

He asked where and how I met my husband. I gave him the answer. He asked what I did for a living. I named my employer, which is fairly recognizable. He dismissively said he never heard of it. Then he asked why I live and work here in Boston when my employer is headquartered elsewhere in the state. I explained I was a satellite office. He suspiciously asked why they needed a satellite office in Boston. I said things happen in Boston that are relevant to other parts of the state. He took issue with this and seemed suspicious.

We went into the 6 questions pretty quickly:

1) What's the ocean on the west coast?

2) What happened on 9/11?

3) What do the thirteen stripes represent?

4) What is the rule of law?

5) How old do citizens have to be to vote for the president?

I forgot what the sixth question was. I answered them correctly. He didn't ask me to read a phrase, he just handed me a pen and asked me to write "There are one hundred senators."

He asked what my husband does for a living. I said he's a student. He asked for my tax forms. I handed them to him and he questioned why I didn't file jointly with my husband. I said it's because he is a dependent of his family. He asked how old he was and why I wasn't supporting him. Again, I said he receives money from his family. While asking me these questions he was curt, suspicious, and judgmental.

He commented that I leave the country a lot. I said that is true, I visit my family about 5-11 times a year on holiday weekends (They live across the border in Canada, so it's not far away). He asked if I had left since filing. I said yes, I had left Labor Day Weekend, Thanksgiving and Christmas. He told me to write it down on a paper. I asked if I could see what the last departure in 2012 I had written down was. He seemed annoyed. After I asked again, he handed me the application and I saw that I had already written that I had left Labor Day Weekend, so I wrote down that I left during Thanksgiving and Christmas. He questioned why I didn't write down that I had left Labor Day Weekend. I explained to him that I had already written that down on the application. He seemed annoyed, distrustful and suspicious again.

He started asking me other questions. Do you support communism? No. Have you ever been arrested/detained? No. Are you a spy? No. He scoffed and said "Not yet?" -- which I felt was inappropriate. I slightly balked and felt uncomfortable when he asked if I would bear arms and fight for the country. Me, bear arms? I hesitated somewhat incredulous, but I said yes.

He ended the interview and said I travel out of the country too much and it will have to be reviewed. I was flabbergasted. I said I only leave maybe once a month or once every other month for 2-3 days at a time. He said that I wasn't allowed to leave more that half a year at a time. I said I've never been gone that long, that my days out of the country would _definitely_ not amount to that. He looked at me like I was wrong and asked "Definitely?" "Yes, definitely," I said.

He asked me to leave and said I would get an answer in a couple of weeks.

I was frazzled. I had papers scattered around me. I began collecting them and he asked me to hurry up and leave.

Altogether, I felt like I was being interrogated like a criminal. He made me feel like it was a crime to visit my family (at most) once a month on weekends. He was rude, sarcastic and altogether unpleasant. I hope no one else has an experience like I did!

Filed: Other Timeline

While you may have felt interrogated by a Hispanic, I feel that the I.O. did his job. You didn't file taxes jointly, you work on a satellite above Earth, your hubby is under mommy's helm, and you travel to your home country any opportunity arises.

:bonk:

No, but seriously, the I.O. just did his job, and since you answered all the questions in a satisfactory manner, you'll get your approval in about a week or two, at the very latest. Find confidence in the fact that applicants who fraud the system have a really hard time passing such an interview, and that's the idea behind being subjected to interrogation.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Is filing married but separate a problem? I'm only 21 and my parents claimed me in 2011 because I was still living with them most of the time and they get a tax break for claiming me, plus my husband got here in Dec 2011.... and in my AOS interview, the interviewer acted the same way as the OP's interviewer for her citizenship. If it is, I have to make sure we file "jointly" this time...

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview
Interview date: 12/14/11 APPROVED!
POE: 12/16/11
Total days from NOA1 to K-1 Visa in hand: 202
Wedding Date: 12/27/11

AOS
Sent AOS: 4/21/12
NOA1: 4/30/12
RFE: 5/14/12
Biometrics App.: 5/21/12
Sent RFE Response: 5/31/12
Interview: 7/24/12
Approval: 10/12/12

Currently.... they have issued Ice the incorrect GC and we have tried 4 times to fix it. First time they had us send it to the incorrect address. Second time they said we used an expired form, which was the form they gave us. Third time was "oh sorry we lost the last page, can you send it again?." Fourth time is the gov is shut down. Will this ever be corrected in time for Ice to get the permanent GC? Stay tuned to find out. T_T

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

"Oh Come On!!! You can't be serious as to the way you were treated at the USCIS Office at Boston's JFK Building.. I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that a person could or would risk losing their well paying extremely easy job for disrespecting, accussing, belittling, embarrassing, and harrassing a client whom they have no idea who they are. You must have or get this persons name as my wife will be going to the same office in the next few months for her interview which I will be attending with her and if indeed this rude arogant person exists and she gets him as the interviewer and he even attempts in the slightest way to mistreat her like you say he did you then I can assure you it will be the last human being he ever has contact with as I will be the last person he ever sees on GOD's green earth. And I promise you that. I keep my promises."

Don't know if you're just being overly dramatic or not but threatening anyone, (even a veiled threat) and particularly government employees on a open forum isn't a very smart thing to do.

Just my opinion..

Edited by Sweetcheeksss

Is filing married but separate a problem? I'm only 21 and my parents claimed me in 2011 because I was still living with them most of the time and they get a tax break for claiming me, plus my husband got here in Dec 2011.... and in my AOS interview, the interviewer acted the same way as the OP's interviewer for her citizenship. If it is, I have to make sure we file "jointly" this time...

Niingsong, you have some time before filing, but good for you for thinking ahead. Don't worry about the 2011 taxes, but try to file jointly for the next few years if you are planning on filing for citizenship. It's a lot easier if you do.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

You really have to start filing jointly to avoid trouble during naturalization especially if your sposuse is going to apply for naturalization based on having been to a permanent residdent for three years and married to USC. You have to know that it is very rare for an USC to still live with his/her parents even after 18years. Unless you show that the other things you have jointly far outweigh not filing together. Also you have to know that even though your parents can claim you on their tax, you and your spouse can stil file jointly so filing seperate is not an excuse.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.