cjjj

No Social Security Number after entering with a CR1

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi all,

I entered the US in mid-December and already received my welcome letter (actually, I got two, about a week apart) and my greencard but there is no sign of my Social Security Number anywhere. I applied by checking the box on the DS-230. I really need it because I can't even open a bank account without it. I would go to the next office, but that is an hour away and I have no way of getting there right now. Calling the USCIS and the SSA did not get me anywhere.

How long did it take for you all until you got the number (maybe I just haven't waited long enough yet) and did you get it through applying via the DS-230 or did you have to work some other magic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You have to go to SSN office to apply it there.

For my case, it didnt arrive in timely manner, and I had to apply it from SSN local office. After that, it took 5 days to arrive.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How wonderful. Why use that DS-230 system at all then? I can't get to the SSA office. It's too far away :(

I've been making that excuse for 2+ years now.

I'm really just an excuse.

I'm sure you can find a way.

An hour really is not far.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I've been making that excuse for 2+ years now.

I'm really just an excuse.

I'm sure you can find a way.

An hour really is not far.

I think it is quaint when people new to America from smaller countries think an hour is far away. :luv:

Going in person is the only way I've heard of. :thumbs:

Edited by Nola123

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

So there is no chance it will still arrived if you applied for it on the DS-230? I don't see how they could be that incompetent. And yes, an hour is far if you don't have a way to get there and if your husband would have to take an unpaid day of to take you!!! I am really starting to wish I had never moved .... too much incompetence everywhere...

Timeline

So there is no chance it will still arrived if you applied for it on the DS-230? I don't see how they could be that incompetent. And yes, an hour is far if you don't have a way to get there and if your husband would have to take an unpaid day of to take you!!! I am really starting to wish I had never moved .... too much incompetence everywhere...

Oh, you are on that phase! It might be time to start a blog (it is cathartic). :lol: It was just a little tease, I live in Denmark right now and I think if we were to drive 2-3 hours in any direction we'd end up in the ocean or in another country. :rofl:

My husband had to take two days off this month and borrow a car to take me to the private doctor here, so I know how that goes.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

I think it is quaint when people new to America from smaller countries think an hour is far away. :luv:

Going in person is the only way I've heard of. :thumbs:

When my husband came down with me during christmas, we drove all over doing some shopping.

He wanted to visit certain targets that were better than others and toy r us etc etc.

After 2 or 3 hours he was SO crabby and he's like OMG ALL YOU DO DOWN HERE IS DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE STAND BEING IN THE CARE FOR SO DAMN LONG!

I'm like, #######, it takes 30+ plus minutes to GET to YOUR toys r us, and it wasn't my choice to go to 5 stores.

Idk what he expected from driving around to a million places right before christmas -_-

I think he's just overwhelmed by so many cars and stop lights, but driving places is FASTER by me.

I lived in northern WI a few years back.

My apt was 25 minutes from town.

My bf's apt was 50 minutes from town (which included his school, hospital, groceries, etc)

That gave me a whole new view on driving long distances since I made the drive from my place to his place EVERY day.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

When my husband came down with me during christmas, we drove all over doing some shopping.

He wanted to visit certain targets that were better than others and toy r us etc etc.

After 2 or 3 hours he was SO crabby and he's like OMG ALL YOU DO DOWN HERE IS DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE STAND BEING IN THE CARE FOR SO DAMN LONG!

I'm like, #######, it takes 30+ plus minutes to GET to YOUR toys r us, and it wasn't my choice to go to 5 stores.

Idk what he expected from driving around to a million places right before christmas -_-

I think he's just overwhelmed by so many cars and stop lights, but driving places is FASTER by me.

I lived in northern WI a few years back.

My apt was 25 minutes from town.

My bf's apt was 50 minutes from town (which included his school, hospital, groceries, etc)

That gave me a whole new view on driving long distances since I made the drive from my place to his place EVERY day.

:rofl: My house in America is in a town with no stores and not even a gas station. It is a little over 30 minutes to the grocery store! We are desperate to sell it, though. I want neighbors, the ocean, and grocery stores!

I think most people I know commute over an hour to work and some of the people where I lived in CT took the 2 1/2 train ride to NYC every morning. Hardcore. :yes: My husband seriously got all cranky driving the little under 3 hours to Hamburg, I should have reminded him that picking Newark to fly out of last time (even though I told him not to) he was in America meant I spent 7 hours sitting in traffic on the way home (it was a 3 hour drive to begin with).

3/26/18 Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

read a bit ?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405546-ssn-howto/

and I suggest you spend some time studying google maps, aye?

Put in your husband's work address, then your home address,

then search for a SSA office

--in between the two points and

--30 miles away from his work

as it might be, there's an office closer, and he can take you on his lunch break or take off an hour early from work to get there.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

read a bit ?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405546-ssn-howto/

and I suggest you spend some time studying google maps, aye?

Put in your husband's work address, then your home address,

then search for a SSA office

--in between the two points and

--30 miles away from his work

as it might be, there's an office closer, and he can take you on his lunch break or take off an hour early from work to get there.

I am not sure why you always have to be so rude. What makes you assume I didn't research this? There are two offices in our area and both are an hour away (in different directions. Also, there is no going to the SSA during your lunch break, because one, my husband doesn't get a lunch break and two, often you have to wait hours (the office I have to go to confirmed this). And there is no taking of an hour early because my husband works until 10 pm on most days. And by the way, I called in and they said I HAD to go to a particular office. Which doesn't matter though because there is no closer office anyway.

What I would really like to know is if there is anyone on here who still received their SSN through the DS-230 form even after a longer period. Thank you!

Timeline

I am not sure why you always have to be so rude. What makes you assume I didn't research this? There are two offices in our area and both are an hour away (in different directions. Also, there is no going to the SSA during your lunch break, because one, my husband doesn't get a lunch break and two, often you have to wait hours (the office I have to go to confirmed this). And there is no taking of an hour early because my husband works until 10 pm on most days. And by the way, I called in and they said I HAD to go to a particular office. Which doesn't matter though because there is no closer office anyway.

What I would really like to know is if there is anyone on here who still received their SSN through the DS-230 form even after a longer period. Thank you!

Darnell was not being rude.

I have never waited "hours" at the SSN office.

I'm sorry if your husband has to take a half day off work to take you there because you don't want to take a bus or some other form of available public transportation, but have you considered that you being able to work will bring in more money than what he'll lose taking a half day off?

Or have you considered a cab ride would cost less than his half day off?

Train? Bus? Taxi? Friend? Lots of options available.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is there an office closer to your husband's work? Could you go with him to work one day and go from there? Or can he apply on your behalf? I saw a section on the SSN site that said something about having someone else apply but didn't research it very far. Perhaps that is an option.

ETA: This page also says "take or mail" your application so maybe you can do that? http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Edited by MsHogan

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Is there an office closer to your husband's work? Could you go with him to work one day and go from there? Or can he apply on your behalf? I saw a section on the SSN site that said something about having someone else apply but didn't research it very far. Perhaps that is an option.

ETA: This page also says "take or mail" your application so maybe you can do that? http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Based on the information shown here:

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

I don't think mailing away is an option.

Anyone age 12 or older requesting an original Social Security number must appear in person for an interview. We will ask for evidence to show you do not have a Social Security number. Here are examples of documents you can use to prove a Social Security number was never assigned:

We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

U.S. driver’s license;

State-issued nondriver identification card; or

U.S. passport.

If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

Employee ID card;

School ID card;

Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or

U.S. military ID card.

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.