eltigredo

Other Names Used

12 posts in this topic

I accidentally posted this in the wrong area:

Hello everyone,

In all of our correspondence, my fiance calls me by the name I was raised with. It's not a legal name and I wouldn't even be asking about it if it weren't for the fact that she NEVER uses my formal name.

Is this what question seven is for????

Thanks in advance.

hi there

i do the same thing with my husband i call him by his middle name which he prefers..and my name is shortened also

but with anything official like applying for anything he always uses his birth name...because everything he has, is in his first namet eg. birth cert, drivers licence..

i would use your proper name on filling the forms .... if its not legally changed...

take care and good luck

kath

p.s. i would use your birth name

Edited by kath&rob

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

hi there

i do the same thing with my husband i call him by his middle name which he prefers..and my name is shortened also

but with anything official like applying for anything he always uses his birth name...because everything he has, is in his first namet eg. birth cert, drivers licence..

i would use your proper name on filling the forms .... if its not legally changed...

take care and good luck

kath

p.s. i would use your birth name

Thanks, but what I'm talking about are the examples of letters and stuff like that. When I make a copy of a letter from her to me, should I clarify that this name is mine???

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Thanks, but what I'm talking about are the examples of letters and stuff like that. When I make a copy of a letter from her to me, should I clarify that this name is mine???

Eltigredo,

when filling in any form (official), you would want to use your "record name" i.e. the one on birth cert, passport etc.

I think you are asking for personal communication and nicknames/petnames you use for each other. If it is used right through your personal correspondence - I think it would be wise to include a note explaning that it is just a non- official name for family/friends.

Good luck with the process,

ausqueen

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

12 Mar '07 ----- INTERVIEW ----- A P P R O V E D -----

4 Apr '07 - US entry - San Francisco

1 July '07 - MARRIED in SF :)

AOS process (after K-1):

24 July '07 - AOS application received by Chicago Office

09 August '07 - Biometrics appt letter

24 August '07 - RFE for I-485 (incomplete tax info sent!)

28 August '07 - NOA letters for AOS, EAD and AP

29 August '07 - Biometrics

AP - 12 October '07 - hard copy: multiple travel, valid 12 months

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

SSN - 30 October '07 (married name), applied Oct 18, same day I got my EAD

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

07 December '07 - GREENCARD IN MAIL

Peace and quiet... apply for removal of conditions - August 2009!

Filed: Timeline

eltigredo,

You say that the name you were "raised with" is different from your "legal name" - as in different from the name on your birth certificate and your passport? Driver's license? Bank accounts and credit cards? Other types of documentation?

Does "raised with" mean that most people, not only your fiancee, call you by this name? Is it the name that you typically use to introduce yourself? Not a 'pet' name used only by your fiancee?

One of your names should be put on line 1, the other on line 7. Which name you chose to put on which line might depend on your answers to all of the questions I posed.

Yodrak

I accidentally posted this in the wrong area:

Hello everyone,

In all of our correspondence, my fiance calls me by the name I was raised with. It's not a legal name and I wouldn't even be asking about it if it weren't for the fact that she NEVER uses my formal name.

Is this what question seven is for????

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My son has a different surname on his birth certificate as to the one he uses at school. So for "other names used" I DID put it in there. Simply because IMO school documents are pretty official in their own way.

I don't think it applies to nicknames or names used in personal life only.

I had the same situation. My wife-2-B had gone by a nickname all of her life (common in Thailand). Of course, in all of our 'evidence <emails etc> I never used her real name...only her nickname.

On the K-1 petition I used her real name. However, on that form it also asked to list all other names that she had gone by. I asked my attorney and he stated to put her nickname in there, even though there is nothing official/legal about her nickname. So, I did just that.

I never had any questions or RFE about her name since I listed her nickname in that field. We've had no bumps along the way...

Peace,

Mark-N-Aam

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

You should put your "legal" name on the application and on the question where it asks "other names used" I don't know if you would put your nic name there. I don't think it really matters much as long as all the official record names match. If you used your nic name in an official way, like DL or loan apps then I think you should put it under the other names used line. When in doubt ask the USCIS or a lawyer.

eltigredo,

You say that the name you were "raised with" is different from your "legal name" - as in different from the name on your birth certificate and your passport? Driver's license? Bank accounts and credit cards? Other types of documentation?

Does "raised with" mean that most people, not only your fiancee, call you by this name? Is it the name that you typically use to introduce yourself? Not a 'pet' name used only by your fiancee?

One of your names should be put on line 1, the other on line 7. Which name you chose to put on which line might depend on your answers to all of the questions I posed.

Yodrak

That's right. I have a family name that is not on any official documents. It's the name I answer to at home, even to this day. All of my family and close family friends call me by this name and it's been this way all my life.

So, no, it's not just a pet name. In many ways, this name is more real than my formal name.

My fiance (the USC) has always, all his life, been known by a different first name to the one on his birth certificate. He uses the 'official' name for official things (it's on his credit cards, passport, anything legal), but most people wouldn't know he's called anything other than his 'nickname'.

He used his official name on the forms, but put the name he's known by in the 'other names' bit, and put '(nickname)' after it - as there's no formal/legal proof that he goes by this name. We're hoping that will be ok... there's not really any other way of explaining it, but I guess it must be a common enough situation.

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My fiance also has a nickname which he uses on his email account. So when I used emails as proof of relationship I made a note on everyone that that was his nickname being used.

However, I did not mention this nickname on the forms because it is not official and he only used it on his email account. Also, his email address contains his legal name so I believe that is proof that the email account is his.

I haven't received an RFE or my NOA2 and I'm hoping it won't make a difference.

*My fingers are crossed

Edited by Bora Bora

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Both my fiancé and I use different names in day-to-day life than our legal names. In his case, it's only used personally by family & friends. In my case, my legal name is on about half of my third-party paperwork (school, credit card, lease) and my usual name is on the other half (phone bill, bank, cell.) (Basically a few years ago I started filling out forms with the name I use rather than the legal name I don't.)

We put down both of our daily names as 'other names' as some of our evidence is likely in those. No problems thus far.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.