jetzaleski

cfo requirement philippines

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When she and her son flew out of the Philippines the first time (without a CFO sticker), did they use plane tickets to the U.S.?

Or, did they have plane tickets to another country?

Then, did they buy plane tickets in the other country for their flight to the U.S.?

They flew to Hong Kong first, then they decided to come straight to the US instead of returning to Philippines as originally planned so we could spend christmas together.

Timeline

They flew to Hong Kong first, then they decided to come straight to the US instead of returning to Philippines as originally planned so we could spend christmas together.

Hmmm, so if a K1 fiance were to pass the medical and the embassy interview, and get the visa, they could take a "trip" to Hongkong, then get a ticket to the states, since she has a visa?

Hmmmmm.....

Are they now using US passports? I say this because it seems EXTREMELY fishy that someone is slipping through immigration without the CFO sticker in their RP passport. They check for it each and every time in my experience. Also, how long ago was this bribery for a CFO sticker at the airport? The recent administration has made cracking down on low level graft a major issue and thankfully it seems to be working. The CFO really does serve a purpose and it is not just to line the government coffers. When you have OFWs and emigrants leaving the country at the rate that they do it is important that they are informed of how different the world is outside the Philippines and what resources they have available to them in case they get into trouble.

cfo sticker is as valuable as your visa and passport so its impossible not to have it in your RP passport before leaving the Philippines..

Timeline

cfo sticker is as valuable as your visa and passport so its impossible not to have it in your RP passport before leaving the Philippines..

For emigrating, yes. But you can leave the Philippines without one, if you are taking a "trip" to another SEA country...

Hmmm, so if a K1 fiance were to pass the medical and the embassy interview, and get the visa, they could take a "trip" to Hongkong, then get a ticket to the states, since she has a visa?

Hmmmmm.....

Yeah you can, but if you go back to the Philippines and still a green card holder you may be in trouble, or if you want to change your passport and use your married name then the CFO certificate is a requirement to do this. The sticker inside the passport is proof your registered with CFO.

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Are they now using US passports? I say this because it seems EXTREMELY fishy that someone is slipping through immigration without the CFO sticker in their RP passport. They check for it each and every time in my experience. Also, how long ago was this bribery for a CFO sticker at the airport? The recent administration has made cracking down on low level graft a major issue and thankfully it seems to be working. The CFO really does serve a purpose and it is not just to line the government coffers. When you have OFWs and emigrants leaving the country at the rate that they do it is important that they are informed of how different the world is outside the Philippines and what resources they have available to them in case they get into trouble.

Yes it does serve 2 purposes one it tries to say all americans are bad and that they should not marry such bad people and two it lines the government coffers with free pesos.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

if you read the law or mandate it says the the seminar is for people applying or a passport and if you have a passport all you have to do is pay the fee and register with the cfo that is what i gather from the law to me it is crazy for someone to go through all of this and have a k1 visa in hand and not be allowed out of the country because of a stupid sticker come on give me a break1

• 4 months later...
Timeline

No, my friend's wife and stepson have RP passports...the same ones used on the original departure. She has since received her updated RP passport (married name), but has not traveled with it. (TO BE CLEAR, my friend did not bribe...he got through because he was not questioned and didn't know it was a requirement)

As far as the bribery, I'm not sure...timeline wasn't cited but was stated as "recent" in the now 2 year old email. It's quite possible they are enforcing it more strict now...and it's quite possible that RP has lost all corruption since I was there last August (this is cynicism).

I do believe the original mission and intent of the CFO is worthwhile: inform immigrating people of customs, laws and rights in a foreign country.

BUT have you read the material they cover in the seminars and what was your experience?? I'm trying to attach a page from my wife's seminar material. Here's what one slide says that I thought was particularly amusing: "Marriage: - the husband has a duty to provide the basic necessity of the family; -the wife's obligation is to maintain the home, having a healthy sexual relationship with husband, and rearing children; --display of public affection is considered a strong breach of etiqutte"

IMG-20120124-00095_zps5bc0313b.jpg

Yes, indeed it is important to inform all Filipinos the role of the woman in the US society...from the 1950's. AND, this information is supposed to be tailored to US immigrants.

I waited for my wife when she attended the seminar...afterward she told me of the line of questioning she endured for the interview. Most of the questions were about my ex-wife...and they wanted the address, birthdate and legal names of my parents. They really gave her the Gestapo treatment once they found out I was divorced. WTH?? The attitude she got made it seem to me that the CFO employees are high on authority and trying to exert themselves as the decision makers for the seminar attendees. It may have started as an intent to protect people's rights, but my wife's experience was more about playing "God" with her life. She balled her eyes out that night and wouldn't tell me everything they said...

Maybe our experience is unique, but it was our experience and I can't help but think it's commonplace.

I am sorry that your fiance and so many other women have to endure at the cfo. It is harassment, plain and simple. No her experience was not unique, rather more the norm.

My fiance attended the seminar yesterday. WHen she gave them the online form from their website (and it was filled out correctly)she was told, as were all the women there, that they had to fill the form out again. They said that they were not accepting the online forms. And before someone posts on here that the form she had to fill out was a different form, no it was not. Like you, I am divorced and when they saw that, it was game on for the jackals! What good qualities does your fiance have? My fiance answered he is a good father, etc. How do you know he is a good father? Because I know that he has raised his 8 year old son by himself since his son was 6 months old after the boys mother ran off with another man. Well, he has 2 other children, did you talk to them? No, they live in other areas of the country, as they are grown and and out on their own. Well, why did you not get their contact information from your fiance and talk to them to see what kind of father he is? What kind of house does he have? Does he have a garden? Yes he does have a garden. How do you know he has a garden? On and on during her one on one that lasted 45 minutes. God forbid that any pinay has a fiance that does not have a garden! WOW! He will probably beat you every time he comes home. The chances of your having a happy marraige with a man that does not have a garden is very slim! Give me a break! Something needs to be done about those people over there, but I know nothing will ever be done. They know that they have an unquestionable power over these women and boy do they ever play it to the max!

My fiance left home at 4 A.M. Got done her one on one interrogation at 6 P.M. She arrived home at 8 P.M. Perhaps these women conducting the cfo resent any woman leaving the R.P because they can't?

Like others have said here, I believe that they would serve a good purpose informing these women of what they should do if they have a problem after they reach their fiance's country, the adjustment they will have to make to the new culture, etc. I don't have a problem with that at all. It just is not done in the right way. These women attending the seminar have endured so much since their long visa process started by the time they get to the cfo, without them having to suffer that kind of harassment.

Good luck to those that will attend the grueling cfo...hang in there!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Amen brother!

They have tons of "fun" with those attending the seminar...

The map they have in that pamphlet looks like something from the French and Indian war... talk about "dated" :lol:

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.