jetzaleski

cfo requirement philippines

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and stepson entered the country about a year ago withou CFO. Will this cause us a problem registering our marriage in the Philippines or returning to the Philippines. They both have Green Cards.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

A good friend of mine had his fiancee and stepson exit RP without CFO stamp, and they just got back from their first return trip with no issues. I don't think there will be any issue with return travel...and I certainly don't think there will be any issue with registering the marriage. Personally, I think CFO is a sham anyway since I've read several instances where you can buy your CFO sticker at the airport with the authorities. I would be highly surprised if they had any system to electronically track CFO compliance.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have never read of anyone "buying" a CFO sticker at the airport, I know you can get the sticker at the airport as long as you have the certificate and I have read of a variety of people being denied exit until they had the CFO sticker. Do you have links?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

No link, it was a personal story relayed to email group for Fil/Am relationships. True or not, that's what was reported. Are you surprised that you can buy your way out of a gov't requirement in RP? :-)

I was presented with the opportunity to buy my way into the airport terminal when I was meeting my father coming into Terminal 1. I chose not to do it for a number of reasons...

I have never read of anyone "buying" a CFO sticker at the airport, I know you can get the sticker at the airport as long as you have the certificate and I have read of a variety of people being denied exit until they had the CFO sticker. Do you have links?

I think what the OP meant when he said buy the CFO sticker at the airport is not actually buying the sticker. I know u can get an exit clearance from the airport in one of the office there coz i did that before but i had the CFO sticker and so with my 2 kids when they left PI for US.

Timeline

No link, it was a personal story relayed to email group for Fil/Am relationships. True or not, that's what was reported. Are you surprised that you can buy your way out of a gov't requirement in RP? :-)

I was presented with the opportunity to buy my way into the airport terminal when I was meeting my father coming into Terminal 1. I chose not to do it for a number of reasons...

...."buying" a service in the Phils? :rofl:

Just the same its not an idea for here on VJ.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

A good friend of mine had his fiancee and stepson exit RP without CFO stamp, and they just got back from their first return trip with no issues.

When she and her son flew out of the Philippines the first time (without a CFO sticker), did they use plane tickets to the U.S.?

Or, did they have plane tickets to another country?

Then, did they buy plane tickets in the other country for their flight to the U.S.?

Timeline

To clarify, I did say that I've heard of stories (2 emails) where someone actually bought a CFO sticker for their passport at the airport from authorities, and in both instances they did not have the CFO certificate (they were oblivious to the requirement until questioned by the ticketing agent). I recognize the two emails are technically hearsay, but my friend's experience (which to you is hearsay...) provides some validation to ME that the CFO process is not strictly enforced.

By no means was I implying this is the proper thing to do or even an option. My original comment was that the CFO process is a sham for money and I do not take the intent of the CFO seriously when it is (apparently) possible to circumvent the system...and apparently with payment. When you are navigating all of these requirements to get the love of your life into the US, it's easy to try to short circuit the process and speed things up...but it's always a better approach to take your time and do it right. You do not want to count on shortcuts that could permanently keep your goals from happening.

With regard to my friend's experience, he, his fiancee (now wife) and stepson left Manila to the US with a connecting flight in Japan on their K1/K2. They were not even aware of the CFO requirement until I mentioned it; I was asking about the program to ensure a smooth departure for my fiancee several months later. They have since gone back to RP to visit and again departed without the CFO sticker or any inquiry at the airport.

They have since gone back to RP to visit and again departed without the CFO sticker or any inquiry at the airport.

Are they now using US passports? I say this because it seems EXTREMELY fishy that someone is slipping through immigration without the CFO sticker in their RP passport. They check for it each and every time in my experience. Also, how long ago was this bribery for a CFO sticker at the airport? The recent administration has made cracking down on low level graft a major issue and thankfully it seems to be working. The CFO really does serve a purpose and it is not just to line the government coffers. When you have OFWs and emigrants leaving the country at the rate that they do it is important that they are informed of how different the world is outside the Philippines and what resources they have available to them in case they get into trouble.

Timeline

I saw a woman at CFO who was turned away at the airport because of not having the sticker... and she was not a happy camper, and I have read of this numerous times. It seems highly unlikely that someone can easily slip past without the sticker as the passport is checked before departure and the visa would be seen.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

No, my friend's wife and stepson have RP passports...the same ones used on the original departure. She has since received her updated RP passport (married name), but has not traveled with it. (TO BE CLEAR, my friend did not bribe...he got through because he was not questioned and didn't know it was a requirement)

As far as the bribery, I'm not sure...timeline wasn't cited but was stated as "recent" in the now 2 year old email. It's quite possible they are enforcing it more strict now...and it's quite possible that RP has lost all corruption since I was there last August (this is cynicism).

I do believe the original mission and intent of the CFO is worthwhile: inform immigrating people of customs, laws and rights in a foreign country.

BUT have you read the material they cover in the seminars and what was your experience?? I'm trying to attach a page from my wife's seminar material. Here's what one slide says that I thought was particularly amusing: "Marriage: - the husband has a duty to provide the basic necessity of the family; -the wife's obligation is to maintain the home, having a healthy sexual relationship with husband, and rearing children; --display of public affection is considered a strong breach of etiqutte"

IMG-20120124-00095_zps5bc0313b.jpg[/img]

Yes, indeed it is important to inform all Filipinos the role of the woman in the US society...from the 1950's. AND, this information is supposed to be tailored to US immigrants.

I waited for my wife when she attended the seminar...afterward she told me of the line of questioning she endured for the interview. Most of the questions were about my ex-wife...and they wanted the address, birthdate and legal names of my parents. They really gave her the Gestapo treatment once they found out I was divorced. WTH?? The attitude she got made it seem to me that the CFO employees are high on authority and trying to exert themselves as the decision makers for the seminar attendees. It may have started as an intent to protect people's rights, but my wife's experience was more about playing "God" with her life. She balled her eyes out that night and wouldn't tell me everything they said...

Maybe our experience is unique, but it was our experience and I can't help but think it's commonplace.

Timeline

Nope your experience is not unique, my wife was very upset that day after the CFO seminar, had a variety of comments about what they said. CFO has become an interrogation much worse then anything from the embassy it seems many times.

And the info on the USA was extremely dated, almost funny to read.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

BUT have you read the material they cover in the seminars and what was your experience?? I'm trying to attach a page from my wife's seminar material. Here's what one slide says that I thought was particularly amusing: "Marriage: - the husband has a duty to provide the basic necessity of the family; -the wife's obligation is to maintain the home, having a healthy sexual relationship with husband, and rearing children; --display of public affection is considered a strong breach of etiqutte"

Yes, indeed it is important to inform all Filipinos the role of the woman in the US society...from the 1950's. AND, this information is supposed to be tailored to US immigrants.

Actually you have that a bit backwards. They are not trying to tell OFWs and emigrants how to be good Americans, they are trying to enforce Filipino morality so you appear to be a good FILIPINO and make the impression that you represent all that is good about the Philippines to foreigners while overseas. What the CFO tells you is the exact same material that is covered in the Family Planning seminar you are required to take if you marry in the Philippines.

Since you went the K-1 route it was especially important to the CFO that your fiance was given the information that is required to be supplied to anyone being married in the Philippines.

Just to add so those that missed the Family Planning seminar can understand, the seminar follows a simple script. After the introductions and a short speech as to the purpose of the seminar the men are told their role is to provide for the home and the women are told they must never complain about the amount of resources they are given by their husbands. The women are also told they must be dutiful sexual partners.

During my seminar all of the men were asked how many children they wanted (note they didn't ask the COUPLE, only the men) and after all of the men answered the woman in charge of the seminar then turned to the women and told them it was their duty to provide that many children and when they reached that number to speak to their doctors about keeping the number of children at the requested amount. There was no direct mention of birth control or the use of it, only that women should stop having children when their husbands told them to stop and keep having them if their husbands wanted more. The burden of supporting the children was on both parents but the wife was solely responsible for managing the household budget.

Please note, my seminar was not held in one of the provinces. It was held at Manila City Hall in the middle of one of the most liberal areas of the Philippines. I can only imagine how much more conservative a family planning seminar would be in one of the outlying provinces.

Edited by Artisan

Thanks for the good information. I'll let Joan know what to expect when the time comes---we are still between NOA1 and NOA2 so it will be awhile =(

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.