aussiewench

Yardies, at home and a farrin'

5,682 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Squitto,

Could you schedule an InfoPass appointment for this type of situation?

Good question. I don't know. Actually, I don't even know what an infopass appointment is :lol:

Ms. Squitto,

I believe the InfoPass allows you to make an appointment to meet with someone from immigration who should be able to help with some of the complex situations that come up. Check out the information on the website and see if you think InfoPass will help. If so, you should be able to make an appointment via the website.

https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php

Lee

That's correct. Every district office operates differently so it's better to make an appointment with your local office than calling USICS - in most cases.

We had an InfoPass appointment this morning to check on Damien's case. A little bit of good news, Damien's file was returned to USCIS from FBI (or whoever does the security clearance) yesterday so now we just have to wait for his approval. Wish us luck.

That sounds good. We are praying that all goes well. That sure took a long time.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Good morning ladies

We got more bad news last night. Tony's uncle died on Monday evening :(:crying: It was his dad's brother and he was pretty close to him growing up. I feel so bad for Tony. He wants to go down to JA for the funeral and to be with his dad and his family. We really can't afford it right now. The cheapest airfare I could find is $531 which isn't that bad for last minute, but we're still broke from our last trip :( I can't tell him NO, because I know if the situation were reversed I would want to be there for my family. He is supposed to decide today what he's going to do. Please keep us in your thoughts.

Well I just got off the phone with Adrian he fianlly got his promotion so as of tomorrow he will start working as a bar server...that means more $$$$$$$ :dance::dance:

CONGRATS Adrian on the promotion :thumbs: Also, CONGRATS to Lake on the new job :yes: Good luck guys.

So sorry to hear of Tony's loss. We are praying for your family and a safe trip for Tony.

Filed: Timeline
That's correct. Every district office operates differently so it's better to make an appointment with your local office than calling USICS - in most cases.

We had an InfoPass appointment this morning to check on Damien's case. A little bit of good news, Damien's file was returned to USCIS from FBI (or whoever does the security clearance) yesterday so now we just have to wait for his approval. Wish us luck.

Great news! :thumbs: you've waited a long time for this-hopefully it won't be too much longer to a successful completion :yes: .

YAY Mindy! :dance::dance: Congrats on getting those papers out of your hands.

:yes:

Hello all from Sunny JA. We went to the embassy this morning, and picked up the appointment packet. Got a Medical appontment for the 31st. Of course the packet mentions payment for the Immigrant Visa which was already made to the NVC as well as the Affidavit of support that was also submitted to the NVC. I guess it will all work out.

Best wishes on your upcoming interview. What a blessing to be able to visit your wife at your companies expense :D . Hopefully you'll be able to attend the interview and fly home with your wife. How was her first plane trip?

Michele

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Condolences to Rhonda and Tony. Hugs to you both.

Guys, I have a dilemma and want your input on it. Ok, I told you Lake had an interview Friday. Ok they then sent him for a medical on Monday, which he passed. They called him later that afternoon, and offered him the job. The company HR is the one that interviewed him. Ok...now, he accepted and was to start tomorrow. Ok, now the HR resource gal told me that we would get a call from another gal and we were to sign some papers there, and get all the details and she would see him on Thursday. Ok, happy day, things are good. Ok, the next gal calls us, and sets up an for appointment today, right? Its a staffing agency...

Ok here is where things get weird. I guess the company itself was hiring up until right around this time, and now they have switched over to a staffing agency/temp company, and so...this lady said its just a formality and all we had to bring was 2 forms of I.D and SSN. Well we get there, and they want us to fill out a whole new app as if we had gone thru THEM. That and the pay is reduced by 1.00 an hour. I was definitately getting a baaaaad feeling about this, cuz this is a company where there is heavy lifting and hot metals and industrial stuff and so its no cake walk, they pay fairly well, but it can be very hazardous, so ....anyone know anything about electroplating???? Also, I saw a guy coming out that passed the safety video test and they were making him sign contracts with them, the staffing agency. I have no idea what kind, but that REALLY made me on edge.

Anyhow, they call Lake back in and I guess he has to watch a safety video and then pass a brief test on. She never told us jack about a test or passing it to work. Well, they grade the test, and she calls us both back into a room and proceeds to tell us that he failed the test and you cant retake it for another 3 months.. She said he answered the hard ones correctly which is what everyone misses, so it was obvious he knew his stuff, but on the first question they asked to answer what safety equipment could cover...and had a whole bunch of check marks. Well he thot they wanted ONE answer, and so instead of checking every box, only checked the one he thot most appropriate. But that question was counted wrong for every box not checked, and there were like 9 or more of them. So it made him miss like 8 just on the one question. She even told us it was obvious that he just misunderstood how to answer it. Sorry but they couldnt place him and they wouldnt allow exceptions bucuz then they would have to do that for everybody. (The girl really had an attitude) Lake was hot, he told me never said anything about having to pass, they just threw the video in and she gave him the paper and said "here, fill this out" and left the room. He was plumb smoking all the way home, but in a quiet way.

Well here is where it gets good. This lady called back at 3:45 and told me...well...she had talked it over with the other staff and since it was obvious he had just misunderstood the question, well..they would allow him to watch the video again and retake the test. Could getting there before 5 to do this, be convenient?

Now I was pretty irritated myself bout this whole thing, but asked Lake and he said ok....whatever.

THEN ...I was having SUCH a bad feelin bout the whole damn thing, my sis walked in the door and I was telling her bout the whole situation and she said to HELL with that, and my nephew things I am crazy letting him work at dangerous job (poor Lake, all this while he was getting dressed, for the 4th time today) and so he comes up and I tell him how I feel. I say its up to him, but I DONT have a good feeling and usually staffing agency's mean little to no benefits, or greatly reduced anyway. He says he doesnt wanna die young working with acids and boiling metals either, sooo, I decide to call the staffing agency lady back and tell her forget it, we were pretty irritated with the treatment, and he had another job interview next week anyway.

She said, VERY snidely "WELL, we were just offering that as a COURTESY, we dont normally ever do that, so...we were doing HIM a favor by allowing it"...then "if he changes his mind, let us know"....YEA like I will let THAT happen. Now, I didnt even get the dirt on what kind of contract he would have had to sign, or what benefits he would have gotten. You guys think I did the right thing? I feel so badly for him, like I pulled the rug out from under his feet. He WAS so looking forward to starting work tomorrow.

Altho he had a REAL good interview with the public school system today, and goes for a second next week. It would be custodial but it doesnt mean he has it yet.

I just want allyour input. That stupid lady acted like she was doing an immigrant a favor. I HATE that attitude. The company HR person herself (the one that actually interviewed him) was really sweet, I dont know what happened with getting hired directly by the company, which we THOUGHT was happening, but somehow we got in right at transitional to staffing agencies. I thot staffing places were in charge of finding workers, how come they hired him, THEN sent him there? Crazy!

Anyhow, I am gonna go console my honey, I will be interested in your responses.

Jill

I should KNOW not to try to start a new job, or do ANY paperwork whatsoever during mercury in retrograde. Wait about 3 days before sending anything off, guys, for sure.

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Jill - I think you guys made the right decision. You have to follow your gut feeling - it is ALWAYS right. It's just not right for you guys right now and that means something better is out there waiting for you :thumbs:

Click My Timeline For Our K-1 Info

10.21.05 - Applied For SS Card (He's Not In The System Yet)

10.27.05 - Got Marriage License

11.02.05 - Received SS Card In The Mail

11.10.05 - Passed Permit Test!

NOVEMBER 18th - We're Married!

12.17.05 - Mailed AOS/EAD Papers

12.27.05 - Checks Cashed

12.29.05 - Received both NOA's in the mail (receipt dates 12.20.05)

02.17.06 - Received Biometrics Letter

02.27.06 - Got Driver's License!

03.11.06 - Biometrics Appointment

03.16.06 - EAD Approved

03.21.06 - EAD Came In The Mail

04.10.06 - Received AOS Interview Letter

06.08.06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

06.19.06 - Green Card Received

WE'RE DONE!

08.22.06 - Elias Is Finally Here!!! Born at 1:13am, 8lbs. 15oz. and 20.5 Inches Long

November 18th, 2006 - Our Real Wedding In Negril

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Good morning ladies

We got more bad news last night. Tony's uncle died on Monday evening :(:crying: It was his dad's brother and he was pretty close to him growing up. I feel so bad for Tony. He wants to go down to JA for the funeral and to be with his dad and his family. We really can't afford it right now. The cheapest airfare I could find is $531 which isn't that bad for last minute, but we're still broke from our last trip :( I can't tell him NO, because I know if the situation were reversed I would want to be there for my family. He is supposed to decide today what he's going to do. Please keep us in your thoughts.

Well I just got off the phone with Adrian he fianlly got his promotion so as of tomorrow he will start working as a bar server...that means more $$$$$$$ :dance::dance:

CONGRATS Adrian on the promotion :thumbs: Also, CONGRATS to Lake on the new job :yes: Good luck guys.

My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Squitto,

Could you schedule an InfoPass appointment for this type of situation?

Good question. I don't know. Actually, I don't even know what an infopass appointment is :lol:

Ms. Squitto,

I believe the InfoPass allows you to make an appointment to meet with someone from immigration who should be able to help with some of the complex situations that come up. Check out the information on the website and see if you think InfoPass will help. If so, you should be able to make an appointment via the website.

https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php

Lee

Wishing you luck, luck, luck, luck

Hello all from Sunny JA. We went to the embassy this morning, and picked up the appointment packet. Got a Medical appontment for the 31st. Of course the packet mentions payment for the Immigrant Visa which was already made to the NVC as well as the Affidavit of support that was also submitted to the NVC. I guess it will all work out.

That's great Eric. Hopefully the payment issue won't get screwed up like Squitto's did. It will definitely all work out. How's your daughter liking NG?

1/1/05 We met

7/19/05 Trip back to Negril

8/28/05 Trip back to Negril, became engaged

12/31/05 WEDDING!!!!

1/22/06 Still patiently waiting for certified marriage certificate

1/28/06 Trevor finally receives cmc, now let's see how long it takes

to get to me

2/20/06 Received cmc, other problems begin

2/24/06 Sent away for divorce decree from previous marriage

2/25/06 Changed name on passport

2/25/06 Trevor kind of ticked I forgot about divorce decree

3/20/06 Sent off I-130

3/30/06 Received NOA1

4/19/06 Trip to Negril

5/8/06 I-129F Mailed

5/22/06 Received NOA1

7/3/06 Received IMBRA request

7/6/06 Sent off IMBRA request

7/6/06 Received email notice that I130 sent to CSC

7/10/06 I130 touched

7/13/06 129F touched

8/3/06 I129f and I130 APPROVED!!!!!

Goodevening everyone,

Rhonda, so sorry to hear about Tony's loss...I am glad to hear that you found a good price on a flight so he could be with his family....My prayers are with him

SJB,Good news...good luck

Eric,Good Luck and have a great time in JA, I know you are going to be working but make the best of it.

I am at work tonight so will check back in later.

Joanna

10/25/2005 - I-129F packet mailed to TSC

11/03/2005 - NOA 1 from CSC

11/07/2005 - Check cashed

02/03/2006 - NOA2 by e-mail

05/03/2006 - Leave for Jamaica

05/09/2006 - Interview "VISA APPROVED"

05/15/2006 - Return from Jamaica

05/22/2006 - Called off the wedding and Adrian left

Jamie ~ where have you been lately??? is everything ok??

10/25/2005 - I-129F packet mailed to TSC

11/03/2005 - NOA 1 from CSC

11/07/2005 - Check cashed

02/03/2006 - NOA2 by e-mail

05/03/2006 - Leave for Jamaica

05/09/2006 - Interview "VISA APPROVED"

05/15/2006 - Return from Jamaica

05/22/2006 - Called off the wedding and Adrian left

Timeline

Thanks Sbys,

You make me feel a little better. I know to always trust my gut, but sometimes when you are hard up for a job, you get anxious to get started and dont listen to those lil niggling feelings.

Do you ALL feel I did the right thing, or think I am foolish for turning down a good job. It paid 10.50 an hour, which is phenomenal in our area, but I also dont want my honey hurt at any cost. Sigh...

Timeline

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

11-16-05 overnited RFE

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

I guess the company itself was hiring up until right around this time, and now they have switched over to a staffing agency/temp company, and so...this lady said its just a formality and all we had to bring was 2 forms of I.D and SSN. Well we get there, and they want us to fill out a whole new app as if we had gone thru THEM. That and the pay is reduced by 1.00 an hour. I was definitately getting a baaaaad feeling about this, cuz this is a company where there is heavy lifting and hot metals and industrial stuff and so its no cake walk, they pay fairly well, but it can be very hazardous, so ....anyone know anything about electroplating???? Also, I saw a guy coming out that passed the safety video test and they were making him sign contracts with them, the staffing agency. I have no idea what kind, but that REALLY made me on edge.

I think you guys did the right thing. The whole thing sounds kinda fishy to me. You don't want him doing anything unsafe, especially when they just told you they were reducing his pay by $1.00 an hour! I work in the Manufacturing industry and we have lots of safety videos and safety classes, but you never have to pass a test about them :no: I'm wondering if those contracts they were making him sign were waiving liability off of them in case he got hurt or something? That's what it sounds like to me. Keep looking and hang in there. Usually your gut instinct is right anyway.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Timeline

Rhonda,

I dont think it was waiving safetly liability, but I DO think it was signing a contract with the staffing agency itself, which I am wondering about. From what I hear, if you working FOR the staffing agency as opposed to the actual company, then your benefits are greatly reduced, and you also might not have the option to quit if you hate it, until a 1 or 3 month obligation or some such. I am not sure, but I DONT like the idea of signing your life away for a job. If you DID hate it, I ALWAYS want the obligation to up and get OUT.

Its probably a job where he would make more guy friends than Lincoln Public Schools for sure, I think custodian might be a lonely job, but they have the opportunity to become supervisory capacity after a couple of years, which pays over 17 an hour, and for here, thats an unreal amount of money. I have never even made over 9.75 myself, in my lifetime, most jobs round here pay around $7. I did check into the local Taco Inn, which is 1/2 block away, and the guy told me they start at minimum, $5.75 an hour!

Yikes, huh?

I am fully expecting a call from the company today and asking "WHAT HAPPENED?" I am sick to my stomach thinkin of what we are gonna tell them. I KNOW Lake is stressed cuz he slept ever since we got home yesterday afternoon. He is taking on MY bad habits, when I dont wanna deal, I sleep it off, and I have never known him to do that. :lol:

Timeline

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

11-16-05 overnited RFE

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

Hey Eric -- I see you down there.....GOOD LUCK!!! :dance:

Hope you're having a great time!! We are all very jealous!!

Jill - I think you guys made the right decision. You have to follow your gut feeling - it is ALWAYS right. It's just not right for you guys right now and that means something better is out there waiting for you :thumbs:

Jill -- I agree 100% with Julie. You did the right thing!! And Rhonda is right, something really does seem fishy. Don't worry about it. Something better (and safer) will come around.

Sometimes the job itself is not worth the $$ you are getting paid. For something that seems to be really dangerous -- they should be paying much more than that.

Edited by Minfay

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Timeline

You guys always make me feel better! :yes:

Hey Kim,

I see you there, how is the pregnancy going, and how are things? Hugs to you.

Timeline

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

11-16-05 overnited RFE

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

Well, Tony I delivered Tony successfully to the airport at 4:30am this morning :blink: He made it to Washington DC for his layover and now he's en route to Jamaica. I'm jealous :P I know he's not going there for a vacation exactly, but I'm stuck at work and he's gonna be in 85 degree weather! This is just one more thing that sucks about long distance relationships. All his family and friends are so far away. I give him credit though - I could never move so far from MY family :blush:

This day is dragging :clock: . I've been here since 5am -_- And I have to work Saturday too :angry: So much for a 2 day weekend!

Jamie, Rita, Elizabeth, Myisha - Where are you ladies??? We're going to send out a search party for you :lol:

Edited by rhondapayter

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Well, Tony I delivered Tony successfully to the airport at 4:30am this morning :blink: He made it to Washington DC for his layover and now he's en route to Jamaica. I'm jealous :P I know he's not going there for a vacation exactly, but I'm stuck at work and he's gonna be in 85 degree weather! This is just one more thing that sucks about long distance relationships. All his family and friends are so far away. I give him credit though - I could never move so far from MY family :blush:

Hi Rhonda. My condolences to Tony and his family. I do pray that he has safe travels and that everyone will be fine. It's good that he's able to be with his family during this time.

Lee

July 4, 2006: Married

October 7, 2006: AOS Packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx (I-485, I-130, I-765)

October 10, 2006: Package reived in Chicago

October 23, 2006: Checks cashed

November 1, 2006: I-130 and I-765 touched

November 2, 2006: I-485 touched--email notification about RFE letter on the way.

December 2006: Biometrics

January 2007: EAD Card

July 10, 2007 @ 9 a.m.--AOS Interview in West Palm Beach, FL...APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.