5,682 posts in this topic

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline

Rita and Tashi ~ hope your having a wonderful loving day....enjoy yourselves...

Jamie ~ hope things get better for you, we are here for you if you need anything.

To everyone else hope you had a great weekend. I was in a wedding last night and had a great time.

Joanna

10/25/2005 - I-129F packet mailed to TSC

11/03/2005 - NOA 1 from CSC

11/07/2005 - Check cashed

02/03/2006 - NOA2 by e-mail

05/03/2006 - Leave for Jamaica

05/09/2006 - Interview "VISA APPROVED"

05/15/2006 - Return from Jamaica

05/22/2006 - Called off the wedding and Adrian left

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

hey guys i am still alive.... just saying hi!

3dflagsdotcom_jamai_2fawm.gif RICHIE 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif GEORGIA (born and raised jamaican, living in NYC)

What rocks my world may feel like a rock in your shoe!

10/16/05 - Birth of my son
11/24/05 - Arrival! EAD issued@JFK)
12/08/05 - Applied for SS #
(In system but visa category incorrect, manual verification required. Told it takes 3-4weeks)
12/10/05 - G's Birthday
12/11/05 - Wedding Day
12/12/05 - R"s Birthday
12/19/05 - SS card comes in the mail!
03/16/06 - AOS, EAD & AP recieved by Chicago Lockbox
03/20/06 - Recieved NOA1 for AOS & EAD. Rejection notice issued for AP(my fault)
03/21/06 - Resubmit AP with correct application type checked off
03/27/06 - Recieved NOA1 for AP.

04/05/06 - Biometrics App.
05/16/06 - Advanced Parole Approved
05/26/06 - EAD Approved
06/21/06 - Richie recieved learner's permit
08/16/06 - AOS Interview(waiting on FBI clearance)
01/08/07 - Conditional Green Card received

Pls Note: My immigration knowledge is limited at best, so take it as a grain of salt.

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Congrats to Rita and Tashi, hope all went smoothly for you.

I kind of relate to Tashi's cold feet, Lake is so aggravated with the whole lengthy process, he (jokingly) made the comment that at the interview next week he is gonna beg them to send him home!!! Too many rules, etc. etc. It really took me aback tho.

We are just starting the job hunting thing and he didnt realize all the stupid paperwork that goes into THAT. Form after form after form of job applications.

Joanna, I made the mistake of thinking Lake had to have a SSN too, becuz the normal instructors and the book tells you that, but if you talk to most of the basic ed workers/teachers themselves, they say DONT wait for the SSN, they can take it with just the alien number, so if possible have him go to classes immediately while he has time on his hands. Just something I found out.

Oh and Rhonda, I wasnt too sure about if he should take ESL, becuz they say in the instruction booklet its mainly for immigrants who speak another language, so I didnt wasnt sure what to think. I am terribly confused about the differences. Anyhow we DID do the basic ed orientation on Thursday eve, which I thought taught job skills etc, but I guess its mainly a pre test for how ready you are for GED classes. Turns out they want him to take some extra classes BEFORE he takes the GED classes to brush up on reading comprehension AND math skills. I wish I had stayed and taken the classes/test with him to see what they asked, so I would know what areas he needs work on, and we could work on them at home somewhat. Altho the prob he had was that he worked the problems slowly, and didnt use a calculator, so didnt finish 11 questions. The others he did great percentage-wise on, so he just needs mainly to build speed. Heck I probably couldnt figure circumference anymore either, always hated math! They last for a month each and they are ONLY offered at one time/one place and the stupid things are offered at the same time in two dif places. I mean the math classes are at one place on Tues, Wed, Th, from 8-10:30 and the reading are on Mon and Wed at another placed from 9 - 10 am. How stupid is that? Why couldnt they offer one MWF and one Tues and TH? Or one in the morn and one in the afternoon. So we will waste TWO months learning instead of one? They wanted him for the math classes first, and I excel at reading and comprehension, so I could be helping him with that if I knew exactly what we needed to do. Sigh...

So I suppose ESL would benefit him as well. I just didnt know if he got in a class with a bunch of non english speaking people and it was so simple as to be insulting, well you know what I mean. Thats why I was a bit confused.

When I asked him here at home about spelling, and vocabulary, he does better than a lot of men that used to write me that had graduated high school HERE! So I am a bit confused at to what he is lacking. It might be more of the way words are put together? Heck if I know. And not only that, I have adopted HIS way of talking instead of him adopting MINE, so I am goin round, "Me dewanna do dat" kinda thing. Brother! I joked tonite that I am not doing him any favors by not speaking proper english. It doesnt help that we are from the south and were raised speaking hillbilly talk in the home, even tho we didnt speak that way out in public. But now how would HE know the dif? Its short shrift to go from "Aint gonna" to 'Me dewanna". :lol:

Well take care all,

Have a great weekend.

Jill

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Hi Georgie, Richie and baby Jay!

"Oh and by the way anyone was wondering Javon and I have decided to wait (indefinitely) b4 filing. It's seems the thing he has to do first is much more difficult then we original thought."

Hang in there Anna. :luv:

Edited by Jamaica to CT

We are having a party Saturday night (to celebrate Rita & Tashi's wedding :lol: ) and will get married at the courthouse next Friday. We will probably go out for lunch with some of my friends (who will be attending the ceremony) afterwards -- I have to go back to work that afternoon :blink: . I would really like to have a "bash" in the summer but that remains to be seen. We're not planning anything else. I am sure that when we are able to go back to Jamaica his family will have some sort of "get together" for us.....[/color]

Mindy are you really going back to work after the ceremony? :o I know I wouldn't even be able to concentrate on my work. I found this site: weddings on a whim and it seems that they can put together a nice ceremony on the beaches of Florida on short notice. It would be nice if his family will have a get together for us too once we were able to go back to Jamaica; but I'm not holding my breath. His mother does not like me at all <_< . I would hope she would do something for him though.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I found this site: weddings on a whim and it seems that they can put together a nice ceremony on the beaches of Florida on short notice.

Michele,

Thanks for the link. It's good to know what types of services are out there when planning a wedding. What type of ceremony do you think you'd have?

Lee

July 4, 2006: Married

October 7, 2006: AOS Packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx (I-485, I-130, I-765)

October 10, 2006: Package reived in Chicago

October 23, 2006: Checks cashed

November 1, 2006: I-130 and I-765 touched

November 2, 2006: I-485 touched--email notification about RFE letter on the way.

December 2006: Biometrics

January 2007: EAD Card

July 10, 2007 @ 9 a.m.--AOS Interview in West Palm Beach, FL...APPROVED!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello Ladies.

Sorry i have been gone for so long! How is everyone doing? Imssed you all so much, and wow it looks so different in here!!!!

Congrats to Tahs and Rita, hope you are enjoying the weekend to the fulliest!!!!

Well just and update Karl and I are getting married on April 22,2006!

We are having the wedding and reception at a local hall, with about 80 or so people ... He is adjusting slowly, this cold weather is a definet shocker to the system !! He too does not get the whole RULEs around here, things are not as laid back as they are or can be in Jamiaca.. I guess it will be absorbed over time!

Well ladies i am going to catch up on the last 36 pages, i will talk to u all soon

Suzy

Hello Ladies.

Sorry i have been gone for so long! How is everyone doing? Imssed you all so much, and wow it looks so different in here!!!!

Congrats to Tahs and Rita, hope you are enjoying the weekend to the fulliest!!!!

We are having the wedding and reception at a local hall, with about 80 or so people ... He is adjusting slowly, this cold weather is a definet shocker to the system !! He too does not get the whole RULEs around here, things are not as laid back as they are or can be in Jamiaca.. I guess it will be absorbed over time!

Well ladies i am going to catch up on the last 36 pages, i will talk to u all soon

Suzy

Congratulations on setting your wedding date! I'm sure that he'll adjust well over time. Sometimes we have to just give them gentle reminders :bonk:;) Good to see you Suzy.

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

I must admit, the "too many RULES" thing IS really getting to Lake. Where he comes from, there are rules, but..you pay a little extra money and you can just bypass them for the most part. Even tho it is a very corrupt system, in SOME cases I can see where it just might be beneficial. Bad of me, hmmm? I do wish things were a little more like they were when I was a kid, you could live without a SSN, you could live off the land, and make damn good money at it, and lots of other things. Things DO seem restrictive at times now, even to me. I know we still are the land of opportunity, but I do get homesick for those nostalgic times when a handshake was your bond, and it was worth more than any signed paper and people took pride in their jobs and what they did. Just reminescing....I only got in on the tail end of those times, but I DO look back on them fondly. My dad only had an 8th grade education and he made a VERY good living, altho it was sporadic at times.

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

I found this site: weddings on a whim and it seems that they can put together a nice ceremony on the beaches of Florida on short notice.

Michele,

Thanks for the link. It's good to know what types of services are out there when planning a wedding. What type of ceremony do you think you'd have?

Lee

We're not really sure yet; but the beach ceremony is a strong option.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hello Ladies.

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

Do you still have snow in Albany? I remember it used to stay until it turned black. I will probably be visiting Albany with my sister when it settles down (the cold). It should be a lot warmer in April when you get married.

Everyone have a good weekend-especially Rita and Tashi and family!

You too. :yes:

Lee

Rita and Tashi--Have a wonderful honeymoon (L)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.