aussiewench

Yardies, at home and a farrin'

5,682 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Happy Monday to all. I hope everyone enjoyed the weekend.

Damien had the weekend off so we did a little bit of shopping for his father and brothers. Damien's baby brother was born right after he left Jamaica so they have never met. Everyone says the baby looks just like Damien. I love buying baby clothes so he's spoiled already.

The trip....my mother and aunt decided to go with us so this will be interesting. It's good in a way because my mother and I have never been on vacation together and she will get to meet Damien's family. I hope she's on her best behaviour because she can be out of control sometimes :lol: She's quite a comedien. We are total opposites because she's life of the party and I'm the quiet one in the back of the room. Thank God it's a short trip.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damien had the weekend off so we did a little bit of shopping for his father and brothers. Damien's baby brother was born right after he left Jamaica so they have never met. Everyone says the baby looks just like Damien. I love buying baby clothes so he's spoiled already.

The trip....my mother and aunt decided to go with us so this will be interesting. It's good in a way because my mother and I have never been on vacation together and she will get to meet Damien's family. I hope she's on her best behaviour because she can be out of control sometimes :lol: She's quite a comedien. We are total opposites because she's life of the party and I'm the quiet one in the back of the room. Thank God it's a short trip.

Good luck with that :thumbs: It ought to be an interesting trip! What day do you guys leave? I know you must be so excited.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Well, good morning all,

Yes it does seem awfully quiet since the forum changed over, is that because not everyone has found us, or did it just throw a wrench in the spokes and we havent really recovered? Seems odd, anyhow.

Well my honey returns to my arms tomorrow. He flew into NYC yesterday and his family kept him up til 4 am partying because they thought there was no way he would be able to return on those AP documents he had. They all had stories of "I knew someone that tried that .....never was able to return, etc..."

So they partied. He was just tired and wanted to sleep. LOL I have ruined him. He made a very odd comment to me on the phone, he said "When he is home (in Guyana) he never wants to leave, and when he is away, he never wants to go back". I think its that he loves his country, but there is so much crime and disrespect. While he was there, and this really bothered him, so I am sure that is where this comment came from....one of his female relatives that drove a taxi was killed at gunpoint for her car. The thing was, she ONLY took people she knew at night, so she could avoid this kind of problem, and then of all things, the neighbor boy and two of his friends did this. I really dont understand how you could do that to your own neighbor.

Then another guy he used to work with was killed after getting hit by a truck while working on a vehicle broken down on the side of the road. Not only that, but he didnt feel comfortable going to the funeral, because it was such a high crime area and his friend was black, and he is Indian...so he didnt go, even tho he wanted to.

Anyhow, he was supposed to have 2 pieces at 70 lb apiece luggage allowance, and they only allowed 50 lbs becuz the flight was so full, and he had to send a lot of stuff back home, and still pay 80 bux. So a LOT of the stuff he was going to bring he was not able to. Of course, one relative sent stuff he was not able to send back, so he had to bring ALL of it, and so didnt bring US anything, hardly! Kinda makes me mad. Not really fair that he bring his cousin all of their stuff yet didnt bring the stuff he intended to for us. He was bringing a good cooking pot (he is TOTALLY fed up with teflon and not being able to actually STIR it with metal!), well he had to send that back home, as well as ALL of his clothes except one change (and he had his nice dress clothes with him that I had bought him for job interviews this next couple of months). Sigh. That will be ANOTHER expense, having to rebuy nice interview or job clothes. So I am a bit ticked. He did manage to get one pineapple back for us, I wanted one so badly. He said they are not a problem to bring if you know how to bring it in, I guess you have to chop all the top off and heck if I know, maybe go ahead and prepare it, not sure. Anyhow, he brought a bunch back before on his FIRST trip but of course that was BEFORE we knew he was going to come visit ME. Darnit! I never thought you could bring any of that back at ALL, but I guess in some cases if they inspect it, they let you. I am surprised they didnt take it. All we have here are sour pineapples. So he sent all those back home as well except for the one. I dont mean to complain, but sometimes relatives are a pain in the butt! He really wanted that pan, poor guy. And how we are going to afford new dress clothes, well #######! I just hope he gets to bring the fishing net he wanted to bring home so badly. He also had to send some spices back, and I had promised a few people to send them some. So I am venting. It didnt help that the carry on only allowed 15 lbs, so not much excess allowed there. On top of that, he took a LOT of stuff down with him, but it wasnt enuff for THEM either, he said he could have brought a boatload and it wouldnt have been enuff. I suppose thats the way it is all over. He is not even working yet, but I have heard you all vent about somehow they think if you even have BEEN here, you automatically have money. WHERE does this misconception come from anyhow? I dont believe the movies I see about life in other countries? Its a MOVIE! Or TV. Ok, I guess I have ranted enuff, but to ask someone to make sacrifices in bringing stuff YOU want to bring, so you can bring what THEY want you to bring, just ticks me.

Oh, and good morning everyone. lol

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Hey Jill,

Glad to hear your sweetie's coming home tomorrow. Sorry he had so many problems with the luggage. Usually if you just pay the fee for the over-weight luggage, you can still bring it on the plane. That sucks. He had to leave some of his stuff in Guyana? I think that's what you were saying. Can you guys have it sent here somehow? Or is it cheaper to buy all new clothes? I don't know but it may be worth looking into.

And yes, once someone goes to America, they're automatically "rich" in their minds. Not only that, but in Tony's case he wanted to appear rich (I think) by bringing things for everyone and buying food and drinks for everyone while we were there. Also, wearing all name brand, new clothing, etc.. It's really a pain. In my mind, he's just making it worse, because now they really do think we have money to blow :o Plus, now he's started a trend where everytime we go back to Jamaica, we'll have to bring a bunch of gifts for everyone :(

As for the pineapple, yes you can bring certain fruits into the U.S. We brought a bread-fruit back with us last time. I LOVE it and we can't get it here.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

34z0pck.jpg

Timeline

Yes, he DID pay the overweight fee for his RELATIVES luggage, just not the extra for OUR/HIS stuff. He is probably just about out of money at this point. Yes, my hubby does the same thing, new stuff for everyone, presents, gifts, etc. He has ALWAYS done this, becuz he worked on a ship and could get stuff REAL cheap in Panama, but now that he is in the states, new stuff doesnt come quite that cheaply, yet he did want to continue the trend, and he says it wasnt half enuff. Everyone clamored for more that he obviously didnt have. Now my Mom is pissed cuz she says she doesnt BELIEVE the 50 lb story (I do, I know sometimes on weekends the flight is full and they bring it down to make the $$, I suppose), but it irks me that he paid to bring his relatives stuff and not the stuff he wanted. I didnt give him a lot of money to go over there with in the first place, so after a month and half, I suppose there is very little left, and he had to make sure he had taxi money for New York as well. That blows $100 quicker than anything I have ever seen.

Another thing is, I had been wanting a notebook computer for EVER so long( about 8 years now), and I finally broke down and bought one right before he left, basically so we could communicate while he was gone. Turned out he didnt use it for that at all, internet connections are pretty expensive I guess, but..and this really hit me hard, he HAD told me his son had begged and begged him for a computer, but we didnt talk about that at all before he left, then on his way, he told me he planned to leave the computer for his son. I was heartbroken about that. He told me he would bring it home, but he had already told everyone I had bought the damned thing for his kid, so how in the world could I say bring it back after THAT. I am not sure if he planned it that way, or not. Is it bad to be that suspicious? Sometimes you know how its easier to ask forgiveness AFTER youve done something, instead of asking permission ahead of time? After telling everyone and his dog I bought it for his kid, now HOW would it look to say I wanted it back? Sigh...The thing is, I wouldnt have minded so much if we had talked about BEFORE he left, because I HINTED several times about it...when I was setting it up, I asked him, do we set this up for the U.S. or for Guyana, and he just acted all blank about everything. So I said, ok, the hell with it, its mine, I'll set it up for the U.S., with him sitting RIGHT THERE. And then that night, I told him, tell your son your sorry, but we'll try to get a computer to him by the summer. He again didnt say anything. SO damn right, I am suspicious.

Well, I am on a rant. What else have you got to do tho but listen to me, Rhonda, other than work? :lol:

I appreciate you listening. :thumbs:

Oh and at least we got ONE pineapple, unless he gives that to his cousins in New YORK!!!!!

:bonk:

Timeline

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

11-16-05 overnited RFE

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Yes, he DID pay the overweight fee for his RELATIVES luggage, just not the extra for OUR/HIS stuff. He is probably just about out of money at this point. Yes, my hubby does the same thing, new stuff for everyone, presents, gifts, etc. He has ALWAYS done this, becuz he worked on a ship and could get stuff REAL cheap in Panama, but now that he is in the states, new stuff doesnt come quite that cheaply, yet he did want to continue the trend, and he says it wasnt half enuff. Everyone clamored for more that he obviously didnt have. Now my Mom is pissed cuz she says she doesnt BELIEVE the 50 lb story (I do, I know sometimes on weekends the flight is full and they bring it down to make the $$, I suppose), but it irks me that he paid to bring his relatives stuff and not the stuff he wanted. I didnt give him a lot of money to go over there with in the first place, so after a month and half, I suppose there is very little left, and he had to make sure he had taxi money for New York as well. That blows $100 quicker than anything I have ever seen.

Another thing is, I had been wanting a notebook computer for EVER so long( about 8 years now), and I finally broke down and bought one right before he left, basically so we could communicate while he was gone. Turned out he didnt use it for that at all, internet connections are pretty expensive I guess, but..and this really hit me hard, he HAD told me his son had begged and begged him for a computer, but we didnt talk about that at all before he left, then on his way, he told me he planned to leave the computer for his son. I was heartbroken about that. He told me he would bring it home, but he had already told everyone I had bought the damned thing for his kid, so how in the world could I say bring it back after THAT. I am not sure if he planned it that way, or not. Is it bad to be that suspicious? Sometimes you know how its easier to ask forgiveness AFTER youve done something, instead of asking permission ahead of time? After telling everyone and his dog I bought it for his kid, now HOW would it look to say I wanted it back? Sigh...The thing is, I wouldnt have minded so much if we had talked about BEFORE he left, because I HINTED several times about it...when I was setting it up, I asked him, do we set this up for the U.S. or for Guyana, and he just acted all blank about everything. So I said, ok, the hell with it, its mine, I'll set it up for the U.S., with him sitting RIGHT THERE. And then that night, I told him, tell your son your sorry, but we'll try to get a computer to him by the summer. He again didnt say anything. SO damn right, I am suspicious.

Well, I am on a rant. What else have you got to do tho but listen to me, Rhonda, other than work? :lol:

I appreciate you listening. :thumbs:

Oh and at least we got ONE pineapple, unless he gives that to his cousins in New YORK!!!!!

:bonk:

Afternoon everyone. I bet that pineapple is great. It's my favorite fruit. It's cold here and I have a fire going. I need to go out to run errands but waiting for more heat. I hate cold.

Shemayna, I know you are looking forward to Jamaica in March. I wish we were going too. I didn't apply for AP because we need the money while he is waiting for EAD to come through. He stopped working and is home now. The system needs fixing. He should be able to go to work after we married (that was the reason for the K-1 visa. I don't understand our immigration laws. Getting a driver license in Virginia is another horror story.

Have a blessed day!

good afternoon vj'ers.

just wanted to tell everyone that we just got back from our way too short week in jamaica. we had a blast, had good weather and spent so much quality time with the daughter. I am happy to be home, making money again instead of spending...

can't think of any highlights at the moment. loved this trip the most because of his daughter and because we did a lot more exploring of the country than we had in the past. we had our own car for the week...his friend let us borrow his bmw. can you belive we're driving a nissan sentra in the us and a bmw in jamaica. love it

See Profile for K-1, AOS and Removing of Conditions Timelines:

Naturalization (N-400):

NOVEMBER 24, 2008 N-400 in the mail!

NOVEMBER 28, 2008 N-400 Arrives

DECEMBER 4, 2008 Check is Cashed!

DECEMBER 10, 2008 NOA1 Received

DECEMBER 16, 2008 NOA2 Received

JANUARY 6, 2009 Fingerprints

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 Interview date recieved

APRIL 8, 2009 Interview

JUNE 12, 2009 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Good luck with that :thumbs: It ought to be an interesting trip! What day do you guys leave? I know you must be so excited.

March 3-6, just 4 days. It's a short trip because of Damien's job. He doesn't have vacation leave yet. And if he stays longer he won't get paid or come home to no job (he's too money hungry for either). He is in the process of looking for a new job so we're praying something will happen before we leave so we can stay longer. If not, 4 days is better than none. Actually, Damien wanted to wait until July to go home but I felt like he needed to see his family sooner. We also have our July trip - which he started shopping for already :wacko: .

Timeline

Do any of you have any suggestions to use for job references. They are SO important here in the states, and all of his are international. I DID manage to get one written letter from the cruise company as a written reference, but I just dont know that many people. Also he has one friend he might be able to use in another state, but with no LOCAL references, I am not sure how much that will tell against him when we start applying. What did all of you folks do?

Thanks for the input.

Timeline

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

11-16-05 overnited RFE

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

Filed: Timeline

That should be a lot of fun. As an adult I only took one vacation with my mother and I dreaded it because we had a similar situation to yours. We went to visit my brother in San Diego; after not seeing him for about 3 years. And she was a trip too. :lol: But I'm glad I did it since shortly after returning she was diagnosed with a terminal illness and that trip was one of the highlights of her life. Even though she got on my last nerve; looking back; I'm glad we did it. I've learned to overlook some of the "shortcomings" of those I love that aren't really too serious and more then anything "annoying" and let them be themselves. Then I don't feel so bad when they have to put up with me :whistle: Even if your mother does let down her hair; as long as she isn't hurting anyone, just laugh and let her enjoy herself. ;)

Filed: Timeline

Afternoon everyone. I bet that pineapple is great. It's my favorite fruit. It's cold here and I have a fire going. I need to go out to run errands but waiting for more heat. I hate cold.

Shemayna, I know you are looking forward to Jamaica in March. I wish we were going too. I didn't apply for AP because we need the money while he is waiting for EAD to come through. He stopped working and is home now. The system needs fixing. He should be able to go to work after we married (that was the reason for the K-1 visa. I don't understand our immigration laws. Getting a driver license in Virginia is another horror story.

Have a blessed day!

Ann-can he apply for a temporary EAD until the permanent one comes? It doesn't make any sense to have that gap in employment. I think that temping might be the way to go when they first arrive; it would be a shame to get a good job then have to quit because of this kind of lapse. What are the requirments for getting a driver's license it Virginia?

good afternoon vj'ers.

just wanted to tell everyone that we just got back from our way too short week in jamaica. we had a blast, had good weather and spent so much quality time with the daughter. I am happy to be home, making money again instead of spending...

can't think of any highlights at the moment. loved this trip the most because of his daughter and because we did a lot more exploring of the country than we had in the past. we had our own car for the week...his friend let us borrow his bmw. can you belive we're driving a nissan sentra in the us and a bmw in jamaica. love it

Welcome home-glad you enjoyed your trip and had great weather. And there's nothing better than spending quality time with your children.

Welcome home Lake!

March 3-6, just 4 days. It's a short trip because of Damien's job. He doesn't have vacation leave yet. And if he stays longer he won't get paid or come home to no job (he's too money hungry for either). He is in the process of looking for a new job so we're praying something will happen before we leave so we can stay longer. If not, 4 days is better than none. Actually, Damien wanted to wait until July to go home but I felt like he needed to see his family sooner. We also have our July trip - which he started shopping for already :wacko:

Shemanya,

That's during the time Tony and I will be in Punta Cana! We're going from March 1-7. Have fun and enjoy your stay. Even a short trip is better than nothing. Plus you guys can look forward to returning in July.

Yes, he DID pay the overweight fee for his RELATIVES luggage, just not the extra for OUR/HIS stuff.

Jill,

OK, I don't get it. Why would he pay for the relatives luggage and not his own? That is crazy :wacko: He left all his own clothes in Guyana and paid to bring their stuff home? I would be pissed if I were you :angry: Now you guys have to spend your money to buy him all new clothes? Doesn't make any sense to me. And the thing with the computer - yeah, sounds like a set-up to me too. He should have just asked you in the first place if you could give it to his son instead of telling you after the fact.

Edited by rhondapayter

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Timeline

That should be a lot of fun. As an adult I only took one vacation with my mother and I dreaded it because we had a similar situation to yours. We went to visit my brother in San Diego; after not seeing him for about 3 years. And she was a trip too. :lol: But I'm glad I did it since shortly after returning she was diagnosed with a terminal illness and that trip was one of the highlights of her life. Even though she got on my last nerve; looking back; I'm glad we did it. I've learned to overlook some of the "shortcomings" of those I love that aren't really too serious and more then anything "annoying" and let them be themselves. Then I don't feel so bad when they have to put up with me :whistle: Even if your mother does let down her hair; as long as she isn't hurting anyone, just laugh and let her enjoy herself. ;)

Thanks for sharing (L) Good morning Family.

Where is everyone? It is way too dead in here lately :(

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Where is everyone? It is way too dead in here lately :(

Good morning, Rhonda. I've been sitting back a little since I'm not so sure what's going to happen with me and my fiance.

Are you all ready for your trip? I noticed that you had long ago started the official countdown. :dance:

Lee

Spirit Airlines (spiritair.com) has the $9 fare special again. The dates are very limited and so is the cities. I got this special back in December when I visited Jamaica. After all those darn taxes and fees, it came to $104. That was still a deal.

I'm not sure how many of you are in my area but it would apply to me again as I would fly out of Fort Lauderdale. I had been thinking about a visit so this just might convince me to go. We'll see. The special goes through Sunday, I believe. It even has Punta Cana for $9 each way out of Fort Lauderdale.

Lee

July 4, 2006: Married

October 7, 2006: AOS Packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx (I-485, I-130, I-765)

October 10, 2006: Package reived in Chicago

October 23, 2006: Checks cashed

November 1, 2006: I-130 and I-765 touched

November 2, 2006: I-485 touched--email notification about RFE letter on the way.

December 2006: Biometrics

January 2007: EAD Card

July 10, 2007 @ 9 a.m.--AOS Interview in West Palm Beach, FL...APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.