aussiewench

Yardies, at home and a farrin'

5,682 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

AOS INTERVIEW THUR JULY 20th :crying::yes: :crying: Don't make me go :crying:

WOW.....Congratulations!!!!!! :dance: :dance:

:dance: CONGRATS

I talk to Damien's family (father & three brothers) on a regular basis. I look forward to seeing them this weekend.

Damien's mother is a different story. I have never met her in person because she lives in Aruba. She used to be rude but now she's much nicer to me. I even called her on her birthday and Mother's Day.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

That is great, CONGTRATS (F)(F)(F):thumbs::thumbs:

WOW.....Congratulations!!!!!! :dance: :dance:

:dance: CONGRATS

I talk to Damien's family (father & three brothers) on a regular basis. I look forward to seeing them this weekend.

Damien's mother is a different story. I have never met her in person because she lives in Aruba. She used to be rude but now she's much nicer to me. I even called her on her birthday and Mother's Day.

Thatis great that yoy and your MIL are now getting along, I too just started getting along with my MIL. I was wondering this becausing I have been calling my husband's cell and his sister's cell and I just keep getting the answering service-makes me kinda wonder, they dont live in the best community in Jamaica. I am just over stressing it.

I must say all these touches are making me feel so gooooooooooooooddddddddddddd..........just wanted to say that. 2 days in a row, wonder what is up will Vermont send me my NOA2 soon????????????????,OI am still waiting on my I129F NOA1 but it would be great if I got an answer on theI130, I can't wait. I am getting so excited, I will give them 2-6 weeks to give me an answer, I guess ultimatums don't work bu tat least I am trying :dance::dance::dance:

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

"You never really know a man until you have divorced him."-Zsa Zsa Gabor

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

Filed: Timeline

I've never really done the whole tourist/resort thing in Jamaica, neither has Squito for that matter. Initially we wanted to go somewhere that neither of us has been for our honeymoon after our big wedding in July, but I'm concerned about visa and other entry issues. We've since decided that we'll go to Jamaica for a week in July and have the tourist/resort experience. I'm hoping that Squito's AP is received by then. I know many of you have done the whole resort thing, so I'm interested in some reviews.

I'm interested in going to Negril (since Squito's never been and I've only been there once when I was like 11). Can any of you recommend any good hotels/resorts in Negril?? Kelly, where are you???

Timeline
I've never really done the whole tourist/resort thing in Jamaica, neither has Squito for that matter. Initially we wanted to go somewhere that neither of us has been for our honeymoon after our big wedding in July, but I'm concerned about visa and other entry issues. We've since decided that we'll go to Jamaica for a week in July and have the tourist/resort experience. I'm hoping that Squito's AP is received by then. I know many of you have done the whole resort thing, so I'm interested in some reviews.

I'm interested in going to Negril (since Squito's never been and I've only been there once when I was like 11). Can any of you recommend any good hotels/resorts in Negril?? Kelly, where are you???

Hey Squitto~ I have never done the resort thing either. I went to MoBay for 2 days once and didn't find it to be that exciting. Just my experience. Never been to Negril. Andre and I always talk about staying in the Ochi/Oracabessa/St. Ann's bay area. It is a little more secluded and in my opinion romantic...touristy but not overrun with tourists either. I don't know if we will ever do the official tourist thing in JA...just not in to doing it there when we could be chilling with family and friends. Good luck :thumbs:

I have stayed many times in Negril...

I love CocoLaPalm...it is our favorite. The rooms are nice, but the beach is perfect and spacious. We always have the best time there.

Last time we went we bought a package on expedia and stayed at Legends...it was super cheap and I thought we couldn't go wroong. We ended up at Coco every day. There is this other nice hotel next door to coco called For Real. I cannot find it for the life of me right now...it has this really cheap beach bar that we sit at for hours...you can't go wrong. When i was there in february i had a few drinks and we asked this other couple if we could see their room...it was beautiful and cheaper than coco la palm. i decided we would go there next time, but now can't find it online...

check out

cocolapalm.com

See Profile for K-1, AOS and Removing of Conditions Timelines:

Naturalization (N-400):

NOVEMBER 24, 2008 N-400 in the mail!

NOVEMBER 28, 2008 N-400 Arrives

DECEMBER 4, 2008 Check is Cashed!

DECEMBER 10, 2008 NOA1 Received

DECEMBER 16, 2008 NOA2 Received

JANUARY 6, 2009 Fingerprints

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 Interview date recieved

APRIL 8, 2009 Interview

JUNE 12, 2009 Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Michele posted that same question in the latin/caribbean section and I am not sure she got any replies. Probably Kelly knows better. I have not done Negril. But I thought of staying here when our wedding was going to be close to Negril. I hear its THE place, but that is just hearsay - no personal experience.

http://www.nirvananegril.com/

Edited by Elizabethnhenry

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

it's funny...most of my trips there have been touristy. I've only spent a handful of nights in the hills...

we like to get away from things when we are together. he has pretty much no immediate family left in JA, just a brother who works on a temporary visa to Nantucket every year. It doesn't make sense for us to stay there.

It's kind of sad though, he doesn't even have a home there anymore. Their family has which 6 brothers and their mother have is basically vacant. Everyone is in the states...

When we went in February we took his daughter to all the sites, it was wonderful showing a little girl how beautiful her country is...

See Profile for K-1, AOS and Removing of Conditions Timelines:

Naturalization (N-400):

NOVEMBER 24, 2008 N-400 in the mail!

NOVEMBER 28, 2008 N-400 Arrives

DECEMBER 4, 2008 Check is Cashed!

DECEMBER 10, 2008 NOA1 Received

DECEMBER 16, 2008 NOA2 Received

JANUARY 6, 2009 Fingerprints

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 Interview date recieved

APRIL 8, 2009 Interview

JUNE 12, 2009 Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok Ladies I have been thinking about this a lot...I know most people won't be comfortable coming out and saying how much they make per year but I am SOOOOO curious because in my mind I make very little but I don't know how that really compares to people around the US. Plus with all the talk of buying houses and such it makes me think you all are rich :blush: Even if Andre and I went on a "Squitto" plan we wouldn't have the money to buy a house for about 20 years or so it seems...

Anyways to get to the point...I set up a yahoo poll about finances...that way it is anonymous. If y'all don't mind I would love for you to vote.

You know Jamie...I think it is all relative in where you live. I live in California and the median income is $94,000 a year. However, house prices where I live are $650,000 for a 2 bedroom fixer-upper. 2 bedroom apartment costs $1700 a month to rent. So...even if I follow the Squitto plan....I will be standing next to you in 20 years!!!! :yes::yes:

So...stay in school...keep working and keep your head up...you are doing GREATTTTTTT!!! :thumbs:

I agree. It's totally relative to where you are in the nation. I will take the survey/poll tomorrow.

But I find that my brother and sister who live outside the tri-state area (New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) make a 1/3 of what I make and they owned their homes waaaaaay before I did. They also have kids and were pursuing graduate degrees and could still afford a house!!!! I was single and no kids and could barely afford to buy a coop in manhattan in 2001 (a one bedroom that cost 209,000) and now I cannot afford it at all, unless its a 400 sq ft studio ....prices are sky high. If I did not buy when I did, I would not be able to do it; I started small and humble and all my purchases were fixer uppers....when I decided to get a house - that needed work too. No way could I get something ready to move in without also having tenants to help with the mortgage. Ugh! Yeah you can earn a lot in big cities and still be paycheck to paycheck.

Another example of starting small, a girlfriend of mine bought a run down studio by the brooklyn bridge for about 90K in 2004 and she painted, put in floors (exterminated LOL) and now everybody thinks she is smart because that building has become VERY popular and her apartment is now worth about 175,000 should she decide to sell today.

So don't be afraid to start small and don't be afraid to buy something that no one really wants if it is sound and you can fix what ails it.

That's why you HAVE to pay yourself first. Even if its 5 bucks a paycheck, stock it away and if your company has a 401K, participate in it no matter how tough you think it will be. Do it. It really really adds up....especially if the employer matches your contribution. We are matched dollar for dollar and my sis is matched 25 cents for every dollar she contributes.

Hi Ladies,

I have to agree w/Elizabeth...I make over $40K a year and I'm struggling living paycheck to paycheck. Some may say it's a lot but at the end of the day I'm lucky if I can find a $1... :lol: I live in a nice two bedroom and the rent is $1000 a month not including utilies (heat, gas, & light) plus I'm a single mother so YOU KNOW how that goes. I say pay yourself first too...I never did and I was ALWAYS depressed and weak b/c the bills were paid and no food in the fridge. Now I'm totally opposite (w/the help of my 2nd job in the past of course) I buy food first and pay bills 2nd. W/o food you have strength and anything else for that matter. I was looking into buying a house but my area it starts at $350,000+ my little income can't do all that so maybe in another 10 yrs or so. I'm VERY frugal, very very very!!! I don't play that but I do participate in 401K. Here at Walgreens they give you $3.25 for every $1 you put in up to 3% per pay check, so YOU KNOW I couldn't pay that up. My motto is live for tomorrow not today I know some may not agree but I have seen it in action and trust me it makes perfect sense. Always try to save for the future b/c that' when you need it the most.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline
Here at Walgreens they give you $3.25 for every $1 you put in up to 3% per pay check, so YOU KNOW I couldn't pay that up. My motto is live for tomorrow not today I know some may not agree but I have seen it in action and trust me it makes perfect sense. Always try to save for the future b/c that' when you need it the most.

Wow! That is a great deal. I would love to have a plan like that :thumbs:

Here they match up to 6% dollar for dollar...the only draw back is they have a tier plan...If you are not employeed for at least 5 years they will match with the following tiers:

1st year- 20%

2nd year- 40%

3rd year- 60%

4th year- 80%

5th year- 100%

If you stay over 5 years they will go and match 100% for the first five years...quite a tricky plan to be honest ;)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Here at Walgreens they give you $3.25 for every $1 you put in up to 3% per pay check, so YOU KNOW I couldn't pay that up.

:o:o Can you hook a sista up???? That is awesome and......I am going to my boss right now! :lol:

Seriously, I would :bonk: you if you passed that up.

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Timeline

Go to negril.com

It is a message board for Negril lovers and has a listing of hotels on the beach and cliffs. Lots of good information.

WE ARE DONE!!!

Timeline

Hey..... I'm here, just playing a trillion page catch-up.

Anyway, if you need info or help with the package please email me at -

a-and-k-travel@verizon.net as I hardly have anytime to get on the VJ site and my email is up and running all day.

I know Negril extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely well as I've been going there for the past 10 yrs. I've stayed alllllll over Negril, seen and stayed in 99% of the places there so I'm very familiar with most.

Next week, I'm staying at Craig's place (in Bluefields / South coast area) for the 1st time (he lives with his mom and some cousins), should be veeeeeery interesting. His mom and I get along --well, at least over the phone, but I've never had the opportunity to meet her. It's going to be such a "rush" trip, cause we're going to head over and stay in Kingston for the night, before the interview.

So, please email me........I'm still here to help arrange trips, honeymoons, cruises, airline tickets, etc etc for ALL of my fellow VJ'rs !!!

It's just WAY to nice to be staying in today and I just have soooo much to catch up on. When you tell your clients you're going away, they think I'm never coming back !!

Kelly

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

quote name='Dee&Dav' post='213908' date='May 24 2006, 09:39 AM']

AOS INTERVIEW THUR JULY 20th :crying::yes::crying: Don't make me go :crying:

omg CONGRATS :dance::dance::dance:

Edited by Jonesie

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

My sweet adorable husband is being a rotten STINKER today and driving me CRAZY!!! Sorry, had to vent...ranting...oh my GOSH, he makes me mad sometimes!

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Thanks for all the home advice. It just seems so out of reach right now. The median price for a home in our area is around $220,000. That is not in the best of areas nor is it the best of houses, I would classify that as "decent". Plus it wouldn't be in the city...it would be in the county. To get what would be considered a "good" house you are looking at around $300,000. We have houses in our areas that are going for over a million just because of land. The "good" houses are nice but they are on like 1/4 an acre of land. I know what we have here isn't as bad as CA or NYC...but its getting there. According to CNN money its getting to expensive in CA and now people are flocking here and raising our prices. They actually had our city on the top ten list of places Californians are relocating :(

Here the cost of living is really high because our minimum wage is the highest in the whole country. Some think that is a blessing but I think its a curse. Everything here is mass expensive because the minimum wage is so high.

Thanks for all the input. I know we will be able to do it but I don't know if we will do it around here.

Wow thats great money Dee...I didn't even make a third of that and I have a great wage in this area. Crazy :wacko: I know a lot of people make a lot less than I do.

Good morning Ladies,

hope everyone is doing great on this beautiful blessed day.

I just found out that my classmate from Jamaica was murdered in Jamaica a few weeks ago ( the guy that was killed for his cell phone- stupid razor phones).

Have a blessed day everyone.

Sorry to hear that Marsha :((F)

I used to work at Ameriquest during the night shift and I have seen some terrible credit but was approved anyway for a house or good credit and low income. I think getting a house it fairly easy but just make sure you put enough. I know some may say just put something but I disagree. I would rather put a lot down and have a low mortgage. My cousin and her husband bought a house out in Matteson (chicago suburb) for $230,000 and they only put down $10K. There mortgage was $2000 a month, now I understand they way they were thinking but thats too much for mortgage plus regular housing expenses. We'll they refinanced over and over to the point they lost the house b/c they couldn't afford it. The husband was making over $80K a year and she was making about $20K a year..even though they spend money like they rich that mortgage was a set up to begin with. Anyway, w/all that said just try to put enough down to make your mortgage w/in reach.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.