aussiewench

Yardies, at home and a farrin'

5,682 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Jonesie~ Girl that place looks NICE :dance: but like Dee said...outta our range :(

For real estate, I always check

http://www.sangstersrealty.com

http://www.meldamrealty.com

http://www.cbjamaica.com

http://www.viviun.com

Seriously, some of these prices are outrageous, but I know that they are marketed for non Ja'cans. Still like to look at what's available and selling prices of homes, hotels, land, etc.

Thanks...a new obsession to be checking :whistle::lol:

Edited by Jme3584

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I dont think I could move to JA year round. I would miss my kids too much. I have told them though as soon as they graduate from HS....momma's buying a home down there. I deserve it! I don't care where or how big....As long as I'm near the water and the people. Which shouldnt be too hard since it is an island. :)

Either way....you will find JillyBean in Jamaica in the near future!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Jonesie~ Girl that place looks NICE :dance: but like Dee said...outta our range :(

Seriously, some of these prices are outrageous, but I know that they are marketed for non Ja'cans. Still like to look at what's available and selling prices of homes, hotels, land, etc.

Thanks...a new obsession to be checking :whistle::lol:

I'm on there all the time :blink: especially Sangsters, as they have land and properties all over (nice places in Kingston especially) and even some homes in the Mtn. View area :help: of Kingston (last time I checked one was up for $30,000 US) so if you can handle pure gunshot an badman then :thumbs:

I don't mean to sound that way, but seriously...if the locals movin out AND the place is sellin under markey value then that's a sign right there :lol:

As long as I'm near the water and the people. Which shouldnt be too hard since it is an island. :)

Girl my eyes playin games...I thought you typed Billy Jean :lol:

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline
Jme, how did Andre react when he saw his GC?

OMG I am dying here laughing just thinking about his reaction...

So when I suprised Andre with the card at first he was like "whats that?" I told him it was his green card and in all seriousness he was like..."well its not green...is something wrong?" I tried so hard not to laugh and so he started reading it and was like "well it don't say green card on it either...how are people gonna know what it is?" So we had a nice talk about "Permenant Resident Status" :lol:

He takes everything so literal that I never thought about the fact that it isn't green or that I shoudl explain it to him before :lol:

Filed: Other Timeline
I dont think I could move to JA year round. I would miss my kids too much. I have told them though as soon as they graduate from HS....momma's buying a home down there. I deserve it! I don't care where or how big....As long as I'm near the water and the people. Which shouldnt be too hard since it is an island. :)

I'm telling mine the same, so they better get it together, or they'll be living in the hills of westmoreland :yes: Just kidding.It would be nice to get a beach front property some place.

Edited by Dee&Dav

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I live on these same sites. Also http://www.reggaerealestate.com/

Jonesie, I like the house you showed. But Henry won't let me look at anything in St. Mary. :( I think he is afraid of that driving precipe place - what is it called again...you can fall off the side of the road. I think its called the Junction?? :o

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Timeline

So when I suprised Andre with the card at first he was like "whats that?" I told him it was his green card and in all seriousness he was like..."well its not green...is something wrong?"

:lol: I would think it's green too!

Did you give him the dutty wine last night? :devil:

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Not... yet checking prices on getting my natral hair twisted, last lady wanted 50$ that's not bad I think I'll go with it :thumbs:

Dee, I wear my hair natural as well. Not a bad deal at all...here in South Florida, it costs at least $50 to have it double-twisted. I've learned to double-twist mine to get by but occasionally get it done by my stylist. I love wearing the twist-out after it's been twisted for a little while.

Lee

July 4, 2006: Married

October 7, 2006: AOS Packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx (I-485, I-130, I-765)

October 10, 2006: Package reived in Chicago

October 23, 2006: Checks cashed

November 1, 2006: I-130 and I-765 touched

November 2, 2006: I-485 touched--email notification about RFE letter on the way.

December 2006: Biometrics

January 2007: EAD Card

July 10, 2007 @ 9 a.m.--AOS Interview in West Palm Beach, FL...APPROVED!!!

Timeline

WARNING: THIS JA HOUSE HUNTING IS VERY ADDICTIVE. I even get the sunday gleaner (my dad buys in brooklyn for me every sunday). I also know how long what house has been on teh market and if the price has gone down. That is how much I am into this. Just last night Henry and were cuddled up on the couch and I started asking about our buying an acre or 2 of land just for a start. My dream is to buy the house where we got married. It is also my dad's dream. He said he would love it if I could one day buy it.

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Timeline

Ok while I we are on the subject of buying houses in JA...

Would it all have to go in the JA citizens name because the USC wouldn't have JA residency? Could the USC buy a house?

Can you get a loan in the US for a house in JA or would the loan have to be in JA?

Do you have to pay land tax or estate tax in JA? Once you paid for the land/house are you free and clear in terms of payments?

How would the whole process happen? Just the basics.

I really have no idea about all this house buying and all that stuff in JA or even here :blush:

Filed: Timeline

So when I suprised Andre with the card at first he was like "whats that?" I told him it was his green card and in all seriousness he was like..."well its not green...is something wrong?" I tried so hard not to laugh and so he started reading it and was like "well it don't say green card on it either...how are people gonna know what it is?" So we had a nice talk about "Permenant Resident Status" :lol:

He takes everything so literal that I never thought about the fact that it isn't green or that I shoudl explain it to him before :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

it's so funny you say that. last night I cooked Squito a special meal. When he came home from class I was like "baby, I cooked something nice for you and I really put my foot in it". You shoulda seen the look on his face he looked disgusted LMAO I was like I didn't really put my foot in it, it's a figure of speech. Needless to say, I won't be using that figure of speech anymore, :lol::lol::lol:

I'm telling mine the same, so they better get it together, or they'll be living in the hills of westmoreland :yes: Just kidding.It would be nice to get a beach front property some place.

I really love your sense of humor :yes::lol:

Timeline
:ot: OFF Topic...

For those of you who have husbands who are working... how did your husband adjusting to paying bills. How easily was it for them to move in to the bill paying mode. How do you split up the bill paying? Just wondering how or whats the easiest way to add responsibility to the other half....Also what if you brought home more than enough money to pay all or most of the bills with money left over? How much shock were they in when they realize that most of your money goes to bill paying vs saving ect.

Can't wait to hear your input :thumbs:

Dee

My jamacian views living below his standards as:

Eating "bread" sandwiches for lunch daily....he'd rather have cold left over boiled dumplin with no way to warm it up :blink:

31 year old man with no savings as a "workless mon" :blink:

going more than two days without saltfish :wacko:

Of course having his wife take care of him :wacko:.....like I wouldn't rather have him pay all the bills :wacko:

......just my recent list of complaints.

Sorry to go backwards but I forgot to answer this question.

For now, our agreement is that Damien pays 1/4 of rent, 1/2 electric, the entire cable and house phone bills. We get paid opposite weeks so we take turns grocery shopping and treating each other to our date night. We both put money in our joint account so we can purchase a second car and other expenses.

I make three times more than Damien but he wants to contribute much as possible so he can feel like a man.

Hope this helps.

Timeline

Would it all have to go in the JA citizens name because the USC wouldn't have JA residency? Could the USC buy a house? JA is a house sale #######. :lol: Sorry. :blush: Just about any foreign national can buy a home there. My cousins are UK citizens with no JA ties and bought their house in JA with no problem.

Can you get a loan in the US for a house in JA or would the loan have to be in JA? I am told its BEST to get a JA loan. They said US loans complicate the closing (too much faxing and fedexing) and the interest rate would be very high.

Do you have to pay land tax or estate tax in JA? Yes. I think, Like Barbados, not tax can be levied until the house is completely done being built. That's why u see a lot of concrete color houses - without paint etc, its not complete. So owner is holding out. Once you paid for the land/house are you free and clear in terms of payments? Not sure.

How would the whole process happen? Just the basics. It's about the same as here...offer to buy house for xyz price/seller acceptance/into contract/inspection, title search, mortgage application/closing. As in the US, its good to have a lawyer that specializes in JA real estate law. Better yet, a US lawyer living in JA that knows both JA and US law. I have heard of UK buyers who used a JA lawyer whose partner is in the UK, so together they covered all the bases.

I really have no idea about all this house buying and all that stuff in JA or even here :blush:

:lol::lol: LOL @ Squitto's foot in the dinner and Andre's green card. You guys should hear the stories from the wives whose men don't speak english at all. :lol: Like the first time they hear someone say, "he kicked the bucket." In german when you want to say you procrastinate and put something off you say " I pushed it on the long bench." The first time someone said that to me...I literally imagined a long long bench. I was like what?? :help: Can you tell? I love languages!!! And can you tell I have a story for everything. :blink:

When we first started talking Henry asked me once, "are you boring?" :o He meant "are you BORED?" :lol::lol:

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Timeline

Would it all have to go in the JA citizens name because the USC wouldn't have JA residency? Could the USC buy a house? JA is a house sale #######. :lol: Sorry. :blush: Just about any foreign national can buy a home there. My cousins are UK citizens with no JA ties and bought their house in JA with no problem.

Can you get a loan in the US for a house in JA or would the loan have to be in JA? I am told its BEST to get a JA loan. They said US loans complicate the closing (too much faxing and fedexing) and the interest rate would be very high.

Do you have to pay land tax or estate tax in JA? Yes. I think, Like Barbados, not tax can be levied until the house is completely done being built. That's why u see a lot of concrete color houses - without paint etc, its not complete. So owner is holding out. Once you paid for the land/house are you free and clear in terms of payments? Not sure.

How would the whole process happen? Just the basics. It's about the same as here...offer to buy house for xyz price/seller acceptance/into contract/inspection, title search, mortgage application/closing. As in the US, its good to have a lawyer that specializes in JA real estate law. Better yet, a US lawyer living in JA that knows both JA and US law. I have heard of UK buyers who used a JA lawyer whose partner is in the UK, so together they covered all the bases.

My biggest concern was about the loan too - thanks for posting. I'm gonna do some more research on financing.

I like the idea of developments (you're buying at least a one bedroom with kitchen and indoor plumbing, and you have the option to expand) but they remind me of all the track neighborhoods here - no real sense of individuality. Building yourself is cheaper, but labor is not cheap, nor are building materials. Lord knows I am not a great handyperson but give me some paint and I can work it out :yes:

I'm glad we got to talking about this subject...I will be cutting, pasting and saving all discussions here :thumbs:

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.