aussiewench

Yardies, at home and a farrin'

5,682 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I am going to start with my list of questions. Thanks in advance for you help. If this lists seems to be too much I could call anyone who wants to talk to me.

When he (Bert) gets though with his contract he was planning to come visit for a week or two before going home. He has a visitors visa, he just renewed it for another 10 years. Is that a good or bad idea? Should he just go home?

If he were to get the temporary work permit stamp and we got married 4 days after he arrives does that void that work permit?

Could we file for all the other things that need to be done right away?

We plan on moving to Jamaica in 3 years so would he have to file for permanent residencey anyway?

Should he?

How long can he drive on his Jamaican license?

Most of my questions would pertain to after he gets here and up until the time we move.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

One more thing, please excuse me for not knowing how to use this board yet or replying to PM's. It is all trial and error, like everything else in life.

Hi Darlene,

I don't know all the answers but here's to what I do know.

1. As long as he have a "visitor visa" then he can travel here and from as he like as long as he does not stay passed the exp date given to him.

2. The temp work permit (given to him at JFK) is good for 90 days from his POE. Getting married does not affect that in anyway.

3. He does not have to apply for citizenship, but he will need to adjust his status once he arrives no matter what you all decide to do.

4. Every state is different but I believe here in IL you can drive up to 6 months (or 90 days) on his JA license. Contact the DMV in your area.

If I missed anything or made a mistake please someone feel free to comment.

Anna

Hi everyone and Jill (christinejames) you make sure you have lots of fun on your trip. :thumbs:

Edited by nyseness

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

so when do u think i should start the process

I don't see why you would wait - it's your decision. But with all this talk of K1's being delayed because of the new mail order bride rulings, sounds like future K1 holders may have to wait as long as K3 holders.

My advise would be to get married in JA and file K3. You would be apart (as with K1), however your man would be able to work and travel once he received his visa. Elizabethhenry filed K3 (I believe) - she may be of more assistance.

Not trying to steer you the wrong way, but explore the pros and cons of both processes before you make a decision.

I apologize, I should not have said that (re: K3). However, based on everything I know now about the visa process, I wish I would have stuck with my first mind and gotten married there. K1 (has been) a faster process, but all the waiting and paperwork once you adjust status is a pain. If you haven't done so, read some of the older posts in this forum to get a feel from where all of us are coming from about our processes.

Talk with your man and see how he would feel about K1, and having to wait to work and travel until after you go through Adjustment of Status. Talk with him about how he would feel being married to you (K3), but you two being apart until that visa got approved.

In either case it will be a waiting game. K1 allows them here faster but they cannot do anything until AOS (EAD/AP) is approved. I wish you all the best in your plans to be together (F)

No need to apologize :no: I totally understand where you are coming from. Looking back on everything now I would have done K3 over a K1. I would have been able to plan my dream wedding in our church in JA with my white flowing gown and all his family and my family could have watched the union of their kin. Instead we had a small ceremony with just my really close family. It was nice but not what I had hoped for. We would have had to separate but honestly we had already felt like we were married for the years before in the LDR. I would have gladly traded a few months of being apart while be married to have my man arrive in the states able to work and travel and feel like a REAL MAN (his words). The Lord only knows how much grief and drama arouse in our marriage over the simple fact that he felt that he wasn’t providing for his family (wife). We might as well have been apart for those few months because the strain and pain of our relationship was nothing I would want to go through again.

I know it sounds kind of harsh and all but honestly the first few months of our marriage was anything but blissful. We never really went through a “honeymoon” phase…Now that he is more independent and working I am hoping to hit that honeymoon phase soon. You all know the phase…you are a double income family and you are so in love and have really have little care in the world…every weekend is date night and you can’t keep your hands off each other. I know it is a dream…but we got no where near the dream. I honestly think things would have been less stressful and less painful had we done the K3…not to mention the fact that half his family wouldn’t be mad at me for not giving them their first grandson/nephew/cousin a real church wedding for the whole family to celebrate…all they got were a “few lousy pictures”

Sorry I am in one of those moods today :blush:

Don't apologize Jamie

I agree with everything you said. When I lived in JA, he was the provider. Worked everyday and made sure I was taken care of. Now I'm getting up and going to class and work everyday...he has class but he doesn't like the feeling of not contributing and being my "husband" (provider).

I know that in all these things we will learn and grow stronger as a couple, but in retrospect - first mind is always right. So now we have to try and find a balance in the midst of our struggles as a couple, and with our own individual issues.

Lord knows I can't wait to have our ceremony in Jamaica.

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thank you so much. The biggest thing is he wants to work right away (don't they all) and if we can get the paperwork going 4 days after he is here then it should not be so bad. He keeps telling me that he is not going to sit around and let me support him. I told him I would not support his skinny butt for too long either, he need to work as soon as he can. His biggest fear is work will stop on his house.

WE ARE DONE!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Thank you so much. The biggest thing is he wants to work right away (don't they all) and if we can get the paperwork going 4 days after he is here then it should not be so bad. He keeps telling me that he is not going to sit around and let me support him. I told him I would not support his skinny butt for too long either, he need to work as soon as he can. His biggest fear is work will stop on his house.

Even after he gets the temp EAD stamp remember it exp's in 90 days so that mean you will have to get married ASAP and file and pray that he gets the actual EAD approved w/in that 90 days. If not he will then have to quit the job until he does recv it. In my opinion, if he already has a job lined up then fine but if not it might not be worth it.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline
:P:P Hey ladies....get this....

I purchased a ticket to visit my other home...JAMAICA!!

He aint stopping me from visiting the people and places I love! I think I'm more excited to go down there now more than ever. And this has nothing do with revenge. (Well, maybe a likkle bit) It's more or less to say to myself (again) and to him aint no man gonna stop me from doing what I love!!! I can't wait to lay on that beach and have the sun beat down on my face. It's exactly what I need. :dance::dance:

Have a great time! What area will you be in?

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

He aint stopping me from visiting the people and places I love! I think I'm more excited to go down there now more than ever. And this has nothing do with revenge. (Well, maybe a likkle bit) It's more or less to say to myself (again) and to him aint no man gonna stop me from doing what I love!!! I can't wait to lay on that beach and have the sun beat down on my face. It's exactly what I need. :dance::dance:

I'm staying right there on the Hip Strip in MoBay. I know most of the peeps from that area so it's like going back to visit old friends. And they will make certain that I am ok.

Timeline

That's great. When are you leaving?

I'm having a hard time posting and loggin on to VJ today.

Timeline
I'm staying right there on the Hip Strip in MoBay. I know most of the peeps from that area so it's like going back to visit old friends. And they will make certain that I am ok.

Be safe! And if you see you know who, tell him fi **** off and **** his ***** :lol:

just kidding! But seriously, have a good time

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline

Have a great weekend and Mothers Day (F)(L)

I'm out!

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline

Oh my gosh - someone in my office is warming up his fried chicken and garlic potatoes in the kitchen. I am soo hungry!!! :lol:

I had the nastiest breakfast burrito langduttykissteet an mi vex tuh rass cah mi spen mi hard earn money pon ie - cho :angry:

:lol::lol: You got it coined :lol: I am still working on the long drawn out kiss teet thing

Great Christine .. have a great time :thumbs:

Looking back on everything now I would have done K3 over a K1. I would have gladly traded a few months of being apart while be married to have my man arrive in the states able to work and travel and feel like a REAL MAN (his words). The Lord only knows how much grief and drama arouse in our marriage over the simple fact that he felt that he wasn’t providing for his family (wife). We might as well have been apart for those few months because the strain and pain of our relationship was nothing I would want to go through again.

Jamie -- I never understood why people choose to do the K3 over the K1....I do now!! Couldn't have said it any better (L)

You just go and have yourself a great time. When you leaving???

For the present I am glad I choose the K1, I know people who did the K3 and waited years. I dont know how I could have ever left my other half in another country for soo long.

2/1/2010- AOS , EAD. AP Mailed via USPS priority mail

2/3/2010- Received - via USPS delivery tracking

2/9/2010- Check Cashed

2/9/2010- NOA 1 Received for 131, 765, 485

2/17/2010- Received letter for biometrics

2/19/2010- Completed biometrics via early "walk in'

2/22/2010- Touched on I-765, 48

2/24/2010- Case transferred to CSC

4/2/2010 Card Production Ordered for I-765, AP touched (Yea!!)

4/8/10- Approval notice for I-765 sent via email/ AP touched

4/10/2010 Received AP.

4/12/10 Received EAD-

7/6/10 Contacted USCIS because now Outside normal processing time

7/23/10 Got RFE asking for proof of legitimate marriage- 1page and 1/4 of proofs

8/23/10 sent off RFE response via Expressmail

8/24/10 Received by CSC

9/2/10 Email from USCIS- Card Production Ordered

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey Girl, you have yourself a ball!

Timeline

Hey Everyone,

Anyone that is familiar with calling the flippin Embassy especially the most recent folk.

Did the phone just ring and ring and ring and ring? If so, did anyone ever answer and if you waited, how long di you wait ?

Did you find a particular day (or time) of the week better to get through than another? I've been trying since 1:30pm (their time) and I've had no problems getting through to that final 1 through 3, but it just keeps ringin and ringin.

After the DS230 was dropped off, how long should I expect (yeah, expect....) anyway, when do you think they'll "know" when my date is actually scheduled for? Right away? wait a couple of days? a week?

Please provide me with some insight, of course that will help other "newbies".

Thanks! :wacko:

Kelly

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Looking back on everything now I would have done K3 over a K1. I would have gladly traded a few months of being apart while be married to have my man arrive in the states able to work and travel and feel like a REAL MAN (his words). The Lord only knows how much grief and drama arouse in our marriage over the simple fact that he felt that he wasn’t providing for his family (wife). We might as well have been apart for those few months because the strain and pain of our relationship was nothing I would want to go through again.

Jamie -- I never understood why people choose to do the K3 over the K1....I do now!! Couldn't have said it any better (L)

For the present I am glad I choose the K1, I know people who did the K3 and waited years. I dont know how I could have ever left my other half in another country for soo long.

Elizabeth answers: It's all a crapshoot. Years ago the K3 was indeed as slow as molasses. The backlog was unspeakable. I did not know about the backlog when I filed (thank you Jesus) or I may never have filed. Once I filed the K3 it was like someone scratched a match under USCIS and the were processing K3s like wild fire. Henry got his visa 6 months after I filed. So it's not so bad.

But as a K3 we still had to get the EAD and then do AOS. So we are in this Bermuda Immigration Triangle together. The only difference is that with a K3 you can apply for the EAD independent of the AOS. That was a great help to me...that I didnt have to rush AOS (heck I still havent sent it out. I am waiting for the vaccine supplement from Dr. O'Keefe.)

Edited by Elizabethnhenry

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Have a Happy Mother's Day all you mothers! (And yes Mindy...dogs do count as children for Mother's Day :D )

You better believe I will be waiting for "gifts" from my FOUR children :lol: Yes, I counted Roy in there... :P He said he is buying me a pink Razr.....we'll see.

Happy Mothers Day!!! (F)(L)

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!!

Jill - safe and fabulous vacation in JA!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms in our thread (remember if its sitting on your couch eating, scratching and burping you either gave birth to it or married it!! LOL)

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.