aussiewench

Yardies, at home and a farrin'

5,682 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

i don't know i would cut off the tags and stuff so maybe they won't realize... ;)

Yea I was going to cut the tags, but i just bought myself some new clothes that i am taking and wanted to leave the tags on in case I dont wear them and when i get home I might take them back, but i guess i will just take the tags off and keep them at home till i get back in case i want to take something back.

10/25/2005 - I-129F packet mailed to TSC

11/03/2005 - NOA 1 from CSC

11/07/2005 - Check cashed

02/03/2006 - NOA2 by e-mail

05/03/2006 - Leave for Jamaica

05/09/2006 - Interview "VISA APPROVED"

05/15/2006 - Return from Jamaica

05/22/2006 - Called off the wedding and Adrian left

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline

Ok I got a question, I know we have discussed this on this thread before....Who has had to pay for items they brought into Jamaica? What types of items where they and how much did you have to pay?

I am bringing Adrian 2 church outfits and a pair of sneakers, and one of his friends wants me to bring him a pair of timberland boots, I also have some baby clothes for a gift for his sisters new baby. Do you think it will be OK? It is not much just a few things but it is obvious that the shoes and baby clothes are not mine.

Last time I went I had a whole suitcase full of stuff for his family but they just asked me if everything in my suitcases was for me and I said yes and they never even checked...

But when Adrian went through this last time he had 2 cell phones and they made him pay almost $200US before they would let him through and some other guy had some other electronics and they made him pay.

Also has anyone ever brought back Ackee, I think it is illegal to bring back, right?? I am taking my old Food Saver and was going to cut up the Ackee and package it with the Food Saver and put it in my suitcase, I guess if they say anything about me having it I could just act like I didnt know and let them throw it away?? :whistle:

I've been bringing things for years and years. Last March I brought 2 extra suitcases of baby clothes for 2 different friends and they questioned me --cause I had 5 bags between me and my son, but I lied reeeeeally well and said I was there for wedding and whatnot......thank god they didn't go through any of them. Every other month I went down last year I was never questioned. I pack anything that I bring for someone deep down in the bag or in concealed apartments. As Shauna said, just make sure you say you are NOT bringing anything for any "friends or family" AND take tags/prices off of the new stuff. I've always stayed at a resort, maybe you can just say you're staying at a resort, just so that they don't question you further. They never ever check. On my way back into the states this past Thursday, my bag was THE last bag off of the flight and then I was pulled to another customs line that I've never been through before and asked alllllllllllllll kinds of whacky and stupid lame questions. Who knows what that was all about and it was the same guy that checked me the last 2x I went.....very bizarre.

Enjoy your trip !!

i don't know i would cut off the tags and stuff so maybe they won't realize... ;)

Yea I was going to cut the tags, but i just bought myself some new clothes that i am taking and wanted to leave the tags on in case I dont wear them and when i get home I might take them back, but i guess i will just take the tags off and keep them at home till i get back in case i want to take something back.

Just save the tags from *your* clothes, but definitely take them off.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

another reason why they may have checked me was because i wasn't going to a resort...i was staying at mike's place so that could be as well....but do take off the tags for the other clothes....i think it also just depends on who it is and how busy they are....a couple of times they just take it and don't even look at my passport...you should be fine...just make sure no tags and the baby clothes and some things that are so not yours...put at the bottom or in secret areas like kelly said..

as far as food as long as it is in your suitcase of where they can't really "see" it...then you should be fine...i walked through the airport with flowers mike got me..i coverd it with me jacket and they never saw...but one time i did see a girl holding a bad that had a pattie in it and they made her go through another screening so just make sure they can't see it and or really smell it!!!

have fun!!!! wish i was going!!!! :hehe:

Shauna

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

cutting off the tags is a good idea. I have made a dozen trips and no problems. The only problem I seem to have is leaving and the under cops checkin me if Im bring drugs home. Then when I get to Chicago I have been searched 3 times for drugs. :wacko: I think it was because I was a younger lady traveling by myself. Its irritating and funny to think that I would actualy care drugs. Right

I am so happy today I think I found a minster for our wedding. Its a seceret to Dwain because its his favorite minster. I found his son online and he said his father for sure would come all the way from Kingston to Montego Bay to do our wedding. Yes Yes Yes!!! Its great the pastor is Methodist and so am I. Now I just have to keep this secert for 100 more days. What we would all do without the inernet. Its on of the best inventions ever. I couldn't put this wedding on without. (L)

My mom also shocked me today and bought me a wonderful blue topez (december birthstone) neckles, earings, and braclet for the wedding. Since my dress has blue on it. She got me all this blue jewelery.

I got the register done for my showers. That wore me out. :yes:

Everyone have a wonderful Sunday night.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Also has anyone ever brought back Ackee, I think it is illegal to bring back, right?? I am taking my old Food Saver and was going to cut up the Ackee and package it with the Food Saver and put it in my suitcase, I guess if they say anything about me having it I could just act like I didnt know and let them throw it away?? :whistle:

Hi Joanna,

First of all, I love the wedding shower pictures. It looks like you had a great time. :yes:

About the Ackee...I've brought it back from Jamaica before and didn't have a problem. The customs person asked me if I had any fruits or vegetables. I told him that I had Ackee. He then asked me if it was raw. I told him that it had been peeled/cleaned and was in ziploc bags. That was it...he let me through.

All the best to you on your upcoming trip and interview. I'll be sure and say a prayer.

Lee

July 4, 2006: Married

October 7, 2006: AOS Packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx (I-485, I-130, I-765)

October 10, 2006: Package reived in Chicago

October 23, 2006: Checks cashed

November 1, 2006: I-130 and I-765 touched

November 2, 2006: I-485 touched--email notification about RFE letter on the way.

December 2006: Biometrics

January 2007: EAD Card

July 10, 2007 @ 9 a.m.--AOS Interview in West Palm Beach, FL...APPROVED!!!

Filed: Timeline

Ok I am at work very very very bored!!!

GUESS WHAT 63 HOURS 20 MINS. :clock:TILL I AM IN JAMAICA!!! :dance::dance:

JUST HAD TO RUB IT IN!! :lol:

Edited by jkb919

10/25/2005 - I-129F packet mailed to TSC

11/03/2005 - NOA 1 from CSC

11/07/2005 - Check cashed

02/03/2006 - NOA2 by e-mail

05/03/2006 - Leave for Jamaica

05/09/2006 - Interview "VISA APPROVED"

05/15/2006 - Return from Jamaica

05/22/2006 - Called off the wedding and Adrian left

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Happy Birthday Dee!!! (F)

Congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. Smith!!! :luv:

Thanks for sharing pics of your shower, Joanna. You look so happy! Loved that cake! Looks to cute to cut it. LOL

Have a wonderful Monday everyone!

Is there anyone in this thread who has bought a car at an auction?? Henry and I are thinking about it.

Thanks, all!

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

[:[/s]D (L):D(L)Hey Everyone! ROHAN IS HOME!!!!!

He came in Friday. He said his flight was wonderful and he wasnt nervous at all. We had a wonderful weekend together. It was awesome. He is so funny and he loves NY. Here is an example...Saturday he went to the track with me to do some excercise, I said ok we need to warm up. He said ok I will warm up now, and bolted the wrong way down the track, smilng and saying hello each time he passed me, then he stopped before me and did some unknown stretches, Even other runners/walkers on the track was looking at him and his stretches :lol: After word I told him you did not warm up, he was like I did running around the track ...oh boy. I also had to tell him the goal of excercise is not outrun everyone on the track...it was hillarious. We are having sooo much fun...

I know its late but ..

CONGRATS JAMIE AND ANDRE on your aol approval :)

CONGRATS to the now Mrs. Smith. Hope your enjoying Married life

Joanna- Glad your babyshower went well. Your interview is right around the corner and soon your boo will be here too.

2/1/2010- AOS , EAD. AP Mailed via USPS priority mail

2/3/2010- Received - via USPS delivery tracking

2/9/2010- Check Cashed

2/9/2010- NOA 1 Received for 131, 765, 485

2/17/2010- Received letter for biometrics

2/19/2010- Completed biometrics via early "walk in'

2/22/2010- Touched on I-765, 48

2/24/2010- Case transferred to CSC

4/2/2010 Card Production Ordered for I-765, AP touched (Yea!!)

4/8/10- Approval notice for I-765 sent via email/ AP touched

4/10/2010 Received AP.

4/12/10 Received EAD-

7/6/10 Contacted USCIS because now Outside normal processing time

7/23/10 Got RFE asking for proof of legitimate marriage- 1page and 1/4 of proofs

8/23/10 sent off RFE response via Expressmail

8/24/10 Received by CSC

9/2/10 Email from USCIS- Card Production Ordered

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Joanna- Glad your babyshower went well. Your interview is right around the corner and soon your boo will be here too.

Joanna, is there something you're not telling us? :lol::lol:

Tenika, I'm so happy for you and Rohan. All the best!

Lee

July 4, 2006: Married

October 7, 2006: AOS Packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx (I-485, I-130, I-765)

October 10, 2006: Package reived in Chicago

October 23, 2006: Checks cashed

November 1, 2006: I-130 and I-765 touched

November 2, 2006: I-485 touched--email notification about RFE letter on the way.

December 2006: Biometrics

January 2007: EAD Card

July 10, 2007 @ 9 a.m.--AOS Interview in West Palm Beach, FL...APPROVED!!!

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... :whistle:

[:[/s]D (L):D(L)Hey Everyone! ROHAN IS HOME!!!!!

He came in Friday

Yeah!! These are the fun days.....watching them learn all this new stuff. Enjoy!!!!! :dance:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good morning everyone

Congrats Mrs. Smith!

Jojo looking at your pics now

We finally sent AOS/EAD off! (praise the Lord) and I got my wedding photos too - I will post a link to them on Yahoo after I load them this afternoon.

Be back soon

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline

Good Morning (F)

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Andre is off to his first day of work this morning :dance: It was soooo cute to see him getting ready and all excited :luv:

Well I am off to catch up....

Hello everyone,

I am back, not by choice, however. I don't know how long I can do this. The depression when I come back is killing me. I don't know how some of you carried on a LDR for 2 or 3 years or longer. :crying: Well I need to catch up.

Welcome back Dru :luv: Let us know if we can help at all with anything...we have all experience the depression. I know it is not fun :crying: Hope you feel better soon.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... :whistle:

Ditto :P:P

Joanna~ Love your pics...it looked really fun. I love the money tree :yes:

Happy Belated Birthday Dee!!!

Congrats to Mrs. Smith (L)

Jonesie!!! Great news sending off the petitions...its is a great feeling :thumbs:

I have a topic starter for you guys. Is your husband/fiance going to apply to become a U.S. citizen eventually? What are the pros and cons of doing so? Tony doesn't want to give up his Jamaican citizenship, but I think I read somewhere that it's really difficult to get dual citizenship.

Also, did anyone know that to become a US citizen, you have to pass a big test about the US government, the Constitution, and US history? :o I didn't know this until the other day. I went on USCIS website and they have practice tests you can take on-line. I only got 41 right out of 60 questions :o Some of them are hard!! And I grew up here and I should know this stuff. It seems like it's very hard to get citizenship. They also have to take a test to see whether they can read, write, speak, and understand English. Tony might have some trouble here too with the reading and writing portions.

I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about all this.

Andre isn't sure yet. I think I would like him to get dual if possible. Part of me wants him to get citizenship so we can put all the immigration ####### behind us and never deal with it again. It would just be a huge relief to know that he is a citizen for life and that nothing could ever change in the immigration world and effect him. I know he wants to keep his JA citizenship and I support that 100%. So I guess if they can offer dual we would take it up in a second.

Timeline

Joanna, is there something you're not telling us? :lol::lol:

Tenika, I'm so happy for you and Rohan. All the best!

Lee

:jest::lol: SORRY JOANNA....I MEANT YOUR BRIDALSHOWER !!

2/1/2010- AOS , EAD. AP Mailed via USPS priority mail

2/3/2010- Received - via USPS delivery tracking

2/9/2010- Check Cashed

2/9/2010- NOA 1 Received for 131, 765, 485

2/17/2010- Received letter for biometrics

2/19/2010- Completed biometrics via early "walk in'

2/22/2010- Touched on I-765, 48

2/24/2010- Case transferred to CSC

4/2/2010 Card Production Ordered for I-765, AP touched (Yea!!)

4/8/10- Approval notice for I-765 sent via email/ AP touched

4/10/2010 Received AP.

4/12/10 Received EAD-

7/6/10 Contacted USCIS because now Outside normal processing time

7/23/10 Got RFE asking for proof of legitimate marriage- 1page and 1/4 of proofs

8/23/10 sent off RFE response via Expressmail

8/24/10 Received by CSC

9/2/10 Email from USCIS- Card Production Ordered

Timeline
Ok I got a question, I know we have discussed this on this thread before....Who has had to pay for items they brought into Jamaica? What types of items where they and how much did you have to pay?

I am bringing Adrian 2 church outfits and a pair of sneakers, and one of his friends wants me to bring him a pair of timberland boots, I also have some baby clothes for a gift for his sisters new baby. Do you think it will be OK? It is not much just a few things but it is obvious that the shoes and baby clothes are not mine.

Last time I went I had a whole suitcase full of stuff for his family but they just asked me if everything in my suitcases was for me and I said yes and they never even checked...

But when Adrian went through this last time he had 2 cell phones and they made him pay almost $200US before they would let him through and some other guy had some other electronics and they made him pay.

I agree with everyone else...take of the tags, hide them in different compartments, never say you are taking for friends. As for the ackee and other food items. I know that some friends brought back ackee and customs biggest concern was that the seeds were removed and that it was prepared already. With other veggies (breadfruit) they wanted them to be cooked or preserved somehow and they would let it in.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

OK Rub it in. I hope Anthony gets his AOS soon so we can go see his mom and get his daughter here. He misses them so much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.