aussiewench

Yardies, at home and a farrin'

5,682 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I have a topic starter for you guys. Is your husband/fiance going to apply to become a U.S. citizen eventually? What are the pros and cons of doing so? Tony doesn't want to give up his Jamaican citizenship, but I think I read somewhere that it's really difficult to get dual citizenship.

Also, did anyone know that to become a US citizen, you have to pass a big test about the US government, the Constitution, and US history? :o I didn't know this until the other day. I went on USCIS website and they have practice tests you can take on-line. I only got 41 right out of 60 questions :o Some of them are hard!! And I grew up here and I should know this stuff. It seems like it's very hard to get citizenship. They also have to take a test to see whether they can read, write, speak, and understand English. Tony might have some trouble here too with the reading and writing portions.

I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about all this.

I have asked Adrian about becoming a US citizen and he said that he did not want to become a US citizen...it is a few years before they can even apply...There is a Jamiacan guy that I work with, he has been in the US for several years and just got his citizenship a couple years ago....the only con that I have heard of is that you cannot vote unless you are a citizen, and if they decide to get rid of "every" immigrant then they can send you back, but I personally dont see that ever happening.

My sister in law is german and she will never become a US citizen, she will loose some German benifits if she does...my brothers childern have dual citizen ship.

10/25/2005 - I-129F packet mailed to TSC

11/03/2005 - NOA 1 from CSC

11/07/2005 - Check cashed

02/03/2006 - NOA2 by e-mail

05/03/2006 - Leave for Jamaica

05/09/2006 - Interview "VISA APPROVED"

05/15/2006 - Return from Jamaica

05/22/2006 - Called off the wedding and Adrian left

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah Rhonda the money tree was great, it had $50.00 on it... :yes:

I picked out the cake and it came from Publix grocery store (do you have Publix where you are?) they are going to do my wedding cake. It was so cute!!! they do the bear cakes for birthdays, christmas, weddings and other holidays and special occasions.

No, we don't have a Publix by us. I've never heard of it before :huh: What kind of wedding cake did you decide on?

I have asked Adrian about becoming a US citizen and he said that he did not want to become a US citizen...it is a few years before they can even apply...There is a Jamiacan guy that I work with, he has been in the US for several years and just got his citizenship a couple years ago....the only con that I have heard of is that you cannot vote unless you are a citizen, and if they decide to get rid of "every" immigrant then they can send you back, but I personally dont see that ever happening.

My sister in law is german and she will never become a US citizen, she will loose some German benifits if she does...my brothers childern have dual citizen ship.

So, if me and Tony have children, can they get dual citizenship? I have no idea how these things work. I think the pros of US citizenship include: being able to vote, being able to get government jobs - or jobs that require you to be a citizen (Army, Navy, etc. also), and getting through Customs quicker and w/ less hassle than GC holders. Am I missing anything?

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Yeah Rhonda the money tree was great, it had $50.00 on it... :yes:

I picked out the cake and it came from Publix grocery store (do you have Publix where you are?) they are going to do my wedding cake. It was so cute!!! they do the bear cakes for birthdays, christmas, weddings and other holidays and special occasions.

No, we don't have a Publix by us. I've never heard of it before :huh: What kind of wedding cake did you decide on?

So, if me and Tony have children, can they get dual citizenship? I have no idea how these things work. I think the pros of US citizenship include: being able to vote, being able to get government jobs - or jobs that require you to be a citizen (Army, Navy, etc. also), and getting through Customs quicker and w/ less hassle than GC holders. Am I missing anything?

Yeah i think that is about it..although they can get local government jobs, because I work for the county government and we will hire residents...

My wedding cake will be 3 tiers right on top of each other...bottom tier carrot cake and the middle tier yellow cake and the top i have not decided...then for Adrians grooms cake I am going to have this caribbean bakery make a black fruit cake.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I have a topic starter for you guys. Is your husband/fiance going to apply to become a U.S. citizen eventually? What are the pros and cons of doing so? Tony doesn't want to give up his Jamaican citizenship, but I think I read somewhere that it's really difficult to get dual citizenship.

Also, did anyone know that to become a US citizen, you have to pass a big test about the US government, the Constitution, and US history? :o I didn't know this until the other day. I went on USCIS website and they have practice tests you can take on-line. I only got 41 right out of 60 questions :o Some of them are hard!! And I grew up here and I should know this stuff. It seems like it's very hard to get citizenship. They also have to take a test to see whether they can read, write, speak, and understand English. Tony might have some trouble here too with the reading and writing portions.

oh really....i think mike would have a hard time with that...i think i heard somewhere that after like 10 years they can become natuarlized citizens..i am not sure what that all involves but i don't think it involves any test..haha at least i hope not....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

oh really....i think mike would have a hard time with that...i think i heard somewhere that after like 10 years they can become natuarlized citizens..i am not sure what that all involves but i don't think it involves any test..haha at least i hope not....

Dwain would have a big problem with become a USA citzen I think. Never really asked. But he said if I ever pass away he wants to go back to Jamaica and take the kids. But who knows since he has never been here.

Im so excited today one of my friends in Mo Bay found us a pastor. Big relif. Maybe I can sleep now. Dwains mom still wants to call Dwains favorite pastor who moved to Kingston to do the service. That will be a long shot!

joanna - That is such a cute cake. Never seen one like that ever. It looks like u had an awsome bridal shower.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

I'm still here at work trying to stay awake -_- The hours are just dragging by :clock: I have 45 min. to go now :D but it feels like I've been here for 12 hours - not just 8!

Is anybody still up? What's everyone doing this weekend?

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Is your husband/fiance going to apply to become a U.S. citizen eventually? What are the pros and cons of doing so?

We don't see the point in doing this right now. Too much of a pain in the you know what! I'm sure that not even I could not pass it. :no:

Is anybody still up? What's everyone doing this weekend?

Working....drinking rum and mango juice with my sweetie right now....he's jealous of VJ :lol::wacko:

Edited by Dee&Dav

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

hey i am up...still worring about getting all the papers right...i will be so happy when it is over...hahaha....

It's NEVER over :lol::wacko::dead: After the interview, there's AOS, AP, and EAD. Then there's the AOS interview, then 2 years later, lifting the "conditions" of the permanent residency, etc... Am I scaring you yet? :devil::lol:

Don't mind me - I'm getting slap happy from being bored out of my mind at work at midnight on a Saturday night :wacko::devil::blink::P:whistle::hehe::D

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

I know Lake plans on becoming a citizen, becuz he intends to one day bring his siblings, etc, if at all possible. I know it will be a long way down the road, but he is so scared that something will happen to them there, he says its all on his shoulders now. I feel for him, that is so worried about them and can do nothing.

He is doing QUITE a bit of US history and stuff NOW. Reading up on congress, branches of government, etc. Heck, I dont even know all of it. Poor guy. I hope he doesnt get asked a whole lot of it, when taking the GED test. I have NO idea how long it will take him to get his schooling down now, working has really slowed him up. :( Right now he is working on Algebra and Geometry, and thats all thats left with math, so he is almost done there, but the reading, social studies stuff...I am more worried bout. Yea, I knew bout the passing of the test. I did some practice stuff too, and I sucked! :lol:

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Timeline

hey i am up...still worring about getting all the papers right...i will be so happy when it is over...hahaha....

It's NEVER over :lol::wacko::dead: After the interview, there's AOS, AP, and EAD. Then there's the AOS interview, then 2 years later, lifting the "conditions" of the permanent residency, etc... Am I scaring you yet? :devil::lol:

no i am not scared just deciding if i should jump of a bridge now or later...haha :wacko:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Love your pics Joanna :thumbs:

If anyone would like to see photos from my shower try this link:

http://www2.snapfish.com/photolibrary/t_=50702537

email address - jkb919@yahoo.com

password - joanna

Click My Timeline For Our K-1 Info

10.21.05 - Applied For SS Card (He's Not In The System Yet)

10.27.05 - Got Marriage License

11.02.05 - Received SS Card In The Mail

11.10.05 - Passed Permit Test!

NOVEMBER 18th - We're Married!

12.17.05 - Mailed AOS/EAD Papers

12.27.05 - Checks Cashed

12.29.05 - Received both NOA's in the mail (receipt dates 12.20.05)

02.17.06 - Received Biometrics Letter

02.27.06 - Got Driver's License!

03.11.06 - Biometrics Appointment

03.16.06 - EAD Approved

03.21.06 - EAD Came In The Mail

04.10.06 - Received AOS Interview Letter

06.08.06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

06.19.06 - Green Card Received

WE'RE DONE!

08.22.06 - Elias Is Finally Here!!! Born at 1:13am, 8lbs. 15oz. and 20.5 Inches Long

November 18th, 2006 - Our Real Wedding In Negril

Ok I got a question, I know we have discussed this on this thread before....Who has had to pay for items they brought into Jamaica? What types of items where they and how much did you have to pay?

I am bringing Adrian 2 church outfits and a pair of sneakers, and one of his friends wants me to bring him a pair of timberland boots, I also have some baby clothes for a gift for his sisters new baby. Do you think it will be OK? It is not much just a few things but it is obvious that the shoes and baby clothes are not mine.

Last time I went I had a whole suitcase full of stuff for his family but they just asked me if everything in my suitcases was for me and I said yes and they never even checked...

But when Adrian went through this last time he had 2 cell phones and they made him pay almost $200US before they would let him through and some other guy had some other electronics and they made him pay.

Also has anyone ever brought back Ackee, I think it is illegal to bring back, right?? I am taking my old Food Saver and was going to cut up the Ackee and package it with the Food Saver and put it in my suitcase, I guess if they say anything about me having it I could just act like I didnt know and let them throw it away?? :whistle:

Edited by jkb919

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Ok I got a question, I know we have discussed this on this thread before....Who has had to pay for items they brought into Jamaica? What types of items where they and how much did you have to pay?

I am bringing Adrian 2 church outfits and a pair of sneakers, and one of his friends wants me to bring him a pair of timberland boots, I also have some baby clothes for a gift for his sisters new baby. Do you think it will be OK? It is not much just a few things but it is obvious that the shoes and baby clothes are not mine.

Last time I went I had a whole suitcase full of stuff for his family but they just asked me if everything in my suitcases was for me and I said yes and they never even checked...

But when Adrian went through this last time he had 2 cell phones and they made him pay almost $200US before they would let him through and some other guy had some other electronics and they made him pay.

Also has anyone ever brought back Ackee, I think it is illegal to bring back, right?? I am taking my old Food Saver and was going to cut up the Ackee and package it with the Food Saver and put it in my suitcase, I guess if they say anything about me having it I could just act like I didnt know and let them throw it away?? :whistle:

I have been bring things down for people since my first trip to Jamaica. They have never checked my suitcases ever. Many times I bring 2 suitcases down and instrument to donate to the schools. I just tell them all the items are mine. I have brought electronics before too like for example a dvd player and cell phone. Just don't let on that you brought anything for friends and family. They do ask me sternly since I don't stay at a resort.

One of my friends brought me Ackee. He had no trouble caring it up. It was just in plastic ziploic bags. He brought roasted bread fruit back for me too. I think you will be defiantly fine with a food saver.

One luv

Take Care

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline

The past time i was in JA...when i went through customs she noticed that i had been there about 3 months earlier and made me go over to the other side so they could go through my luggage...they asked me over and over again if all of the stuff was mine i kept saying yes..luckily they didn't look too close to the shoes i had cause one pair was for mike...they also looked through my carry on...but i had a lot of zippers and they only looked through the big comparment...good for me cause i had other stuff stored in the little areas....another good thing for me was that i was really sick so i guess maybe they felt sorry so they didn't check that well?? i don't know i would cut off the tags and stuff so maybe they won't realize... ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.