aussiewench

Yardies, at home and a farrin'

5,682 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Discussion Topic:

How Does Your JA Spouse/Fiance/SO feel about credit card debt and car notes?? (Apolgies if you have discussed already)

Henry cannot sleep if he owes anyone. He said Americans have to get a grip! "What do you all buy???" he asked. :whistle: He understands that America runs on credit but he wants to know why we dont have less stupid debt (shoes) and more "smart debt" (he puts my student loan and mortgage in that category, but I feels I should be diligent to pay them off faster). Can't argue with him on that.

Edited by Elizabethnhenry

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:D

HEY YARDIES!

BACK to New York FROM sunny JA, and the verdict is...

WE GOT THE VISA!! YAHOOOOOOOOO :dance::D:):dance::D:dance:

ROHAN WILL BE COMING HOME

The interview was a snap, our interview was a 9:15, Rohan got there about 6 am and I followed later around 7 am. We had to pay someone to hold our cell phones. The security guards are extremely pushy and try to overly exert there authority. They let us in about 7:15am and we had to wait while they deal with the other 7:15 appointments until about 9:00 am, they called us about 9:15 am the first time , in all we got out about 11:30 am. The interviewer questioned us together and all he asked was How did we meet, the name of our church, How many other times I been to Jamaica, and when and where the wedding will be. He joked a little about Rohan's broken arm, and said congratulations. It was great, we hugged then proceeded around the corner to AIRPAK. The cabs offer to take you for a rip off price, but dont take it, is less than a 5 minute walk around the block. We are so happy, Rohan will be coming up in the next couple weeks, after I finalize a place he will stay at before the wedding.

My time in JA was wonderful, me and Rohan spent most waking hours together and really grew in our love (L) . I spent Tuesday in St Thomas at the LYCEENS Beach with his step mom, brothers and sister, we had such a great time. Also a church convention was going on and we had a great time there. I am ecstatic!! :D

Only 2 1\2 months until k1 approved amazing.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS :thumbs:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Oh how I wish I would have had Henry to counsel me when I was 20! I have LOTS of debt :blush: I don't think Michael truly understands the whole credit card/debt thing yet. I have showed him what I owe, but I don't think he grasps how long it will take me to get out from under it.

Discussion Topic:

How Does Your JA Spouse/Fiance/SO feel about credit card debt and car notes?? (Apolgies if you have discussed already)

Henry cannot sleep if he owes anyone. He said Americans have to get a grip! "What do you all buy???" he asked. :whistle: He understands that America runs on credit but he wants to know why we dont have less stupid debt (shoes) and more "smart debt" (he puts my student loan and mortgage in that category, but I feels I should be diligent to pay them off faster). Can't argue with him on that.

Click My Timeline For Our K-1 Info

10.21.05 - Applied For SS Card (He's Not In The System Yet)

10.27.05 - Got Marriage License

11.02.05 - Received SS Card In The Mail

11.10.05 - Passed Permit Test!

NOVEMBER 18th - We're Married!

12.17.05 - Mailed AOS/EAD Papers

12.27.05 - Checks Cashed

12.29.05 - Received both NOA's in the mail (receipt dates 12.20.05)

02.17.06 - Received Biometrics Letter

02.27.06 - Got Driver's License!

03.11.06 - Biometrics Appointment

03.16.06 - EAD Approved

03.21.06 - EAD Came In The Mail

04.10.06 - Received AOS Interview Letter

06.08.06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

06.19.06 - Green Card Received

WE'RE DONE!

08.22.06 - Elias Is Finally Here!!! Born at 1:13am, 8lbs. 15oz. and 20.5 Inches Long

November 18th, 2006 - Our Real Wedding In Negril

Discussion Topic:

Roy is all about the cash!! I got him a credit card in his name (I only have one -- been there, done that)....he ON PURPOSE signed his name like a FOOL so that he couldn't use it. He thinks credit cards are for idiots. He's right ;) Since I only have the one card I pay it off every month and have no credit card debt and my truck is paid for. He is very intent on paying off my mortgage.....almost obsessed with it.

Oh how I wish I would have had Henry to counsel me when I was 20!

I'm with you on that one, sister!!! :energetic:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Oh, me too, with the loads of debt. I hear you. We have been LIVING on credit cards this last year, and its gotten a bit overwhelming. I havent exactly shared how MUCH I owe, I am afraid to. But I have told him, we owe a LOT, I mean I told him the first three paychecks will be gone, poof, when he starts working, but I never imagined him getting paid weekly, I was thinking more like bi weekly, so when all but about $100 of his paycheck is gone every month...umm, well let me say I am not exactly looking forward to it.

He understands the credit card thing, and is like Henry, he HATES debt. He hasnt had much choice tho, he also owes his brother back home an overwhelming amount for Guyana, over $5,000 and I wouldnt be surprised if its more like 10k, US. His brother has also been helping to support Lakes kids back home, since Lake was not working, for this last year and things are getting expensive since the flood, food has skyrocketed and his oldest kid has to take a taxi to school becuz they opened a low income subdivision right on the next block, so crime is rampamt and the kid is not even safe walking past that area.

He just started emailing his kids and I think that was what made him urgent to work, things back home are so bad. Its gonna take a while to get on our feet but with God's help, we will get there. After he gets a steady job and I am not having to run him around so much, I will try to find something too. We really need a scooter or another car soon.

Ok, question, does anyone here ever cook bitter melon, aka Carela? I just cooked it for the first time by myself, Lake is at work. I have watched him a dozen times, but I am tellin ya, I need practice cuz mine tastes like #######! :lol:

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Filed: Other Timeline
Hanover people unite! Henry is from Hanover...

He's from a small place in the hills called Rejoin.

Places I'm familiar with are Hopewell, Bamboo, Coldspring, Thompsons Hill....

Anyone?

Good evening (F)

David is from Hanover, he lived in the hills as well. :D

Congrats Tenika

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Timeline

Ok, I have another discussion question for u guys.

Does your significant other have nice table manners, and if not, how do you politely discuss what and what is NOT appropriate? AND get them to understand?????

Ok, I know the islanders and where Lake is from are similar in some respects. They love to suck the meat off chicken bones. Well...Lake does it with all bones, fish bones, etc. And its makes for a whole lot of ....slurping. I am able to overlook it to some extent, but when I am with anyone else, it just kills me. I have discussed it with him, but he doesnt "get it", how its not polite with company to do this. Its not horrible, but...still, if I ever have kids, or we would go on a cruise where you do fine dining...ouch. He has gotten a WHOLE lot better, it was REAL bad to begin with.

Timeline

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

11-16-05 overnited RFE

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

Filed: Other Timeline

David hates dept as well. Tells me that he dosen't know how I sleep at night knowing that I owe people money. I don't owe a lot but he is not comfortable with what I do owe :huh: He wants to operate on a cash only basis :unsure: If we don't have it his motto is we don't need it. He will only borrow money to get cars, home ect, even then he wants to be able to pay more than the min so that he can get it paid off eariler. I too wish I had met him 10 years eariler. :(

Does your significant other have nice table manners, and if not, how do you politely discuss what and what is NOT appropriate? AND get them to understand?????

No he has excellent table manners. He says it was instilled in him at a very young age. He about has my children trained. Absolutely no talking at the table!!!! :huh: He will suck the meat off the fish bones, this is when we are at home usually it dosen't bother me, I'm more amazed than anything. ;)

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

My BIG FOOT placed strategically between his legs seems to do the trick. You should try it!! :lol: :lol:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: Timeline
:D

HEY YARDIES!

BACK to New York FROM sunny JA, and the verdict is...

WE GOT THE VISA!! YAHOOOOOOOOO :dance::D:):dance::D:dance:

ROHAN WILL BE COMING HOME

The interview was a snap, our interview was a 9:15, Rohan got there about 6 am and I followed later around 7 am. We had to pay someone to hold our cell phones. The security guards are extremely pushy and try to overly exert there authority. They let us in about 7:15am and we had to wait while they deal with the other 7:15 appointments until about 9:00 am, they called us about 9:15 am the first time , in all we got out about 11:30 am. The interviewer questioned us together and all he asked was How did we meet, the name of our church, How many other times I been to Jamaica, and when and where the wedding will be. He joked a little about Rohan's broken arm, and said congratulations. It was great, we hugged then proceeded around the corner to AIRPAK. The cabs offer to take you for a rip off price, but dont take it, is less than a 5 minute walk around the block. We are so happy, Rohan will be coming up in the next couple weeks, after I finalize a place he will stay at before the wedding.

My time in JA was wonderful, me and Rohan spent most waking hours together and really grew in our love (L) . I spent Tuesday in St Thomas at the LYCEENS Beach with his step mom, brothers and sister, we had such a great time. Also a church convention was going on and we had a great time there. I am ecstatic!! :D

Only 2 1\2 months until k1 approved amazing.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS :thumbs:

CONGRATS!!! :dance:

Hey Kimone!!! I see you down there.

How is North Carolina treating you and the twins!??? Hope you are having a great day!

All is well with me and the twins! Still struggling to find names. Everyone at work is laughing at my shirt today. It says "We're Hungry!"

that's so cute :D

Okay......Roy is from Breeze Mill -- on the border of Clarendon & St. Catherine.....any takers???

Close...Andre is from May Pen/Freetown/Old Harbour Bay area in Clarendon & St. Catherine

He also lived in Ewarton, St. Catherine for many years.

Here is a pretty detailed map of JA that I was able to find...its pretty interesting.

JA MAP

Well Squito's from Trelawny (German Town to be exact) :) Lived in Portmore, St. Catherine for the last 9 years ;)

Discussion Topic:

hmmm, don't know...we never discussed it. I'll ask him and let you guys know :hehe:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

:lol::lol::lol: Yes, the slurping! That is actually a joke in our house now - Michael slurps his tea, soup, coffee, anything hot. (Thankfully not his chicken bones :wacko: ) - but every time he does I whisper "you're slurping" :D So we laugh about it now. It's just him though - I tell people it's just his JA way :thumbs:

Ok, I know the islanders and where Lake is from are similar in some respects. They love to suck the meat off chicken bones. Well...Lake does it with all bones, fish bones, etc. And its makes for a whole lot of ....slurping. I am able to overlook it to some extent, but when I am with anyone else, it just kills me. I have discussed it with him, but he doesnt "get it", how its not polite with company to do this. Its not horrible, but...still, if I ever have kids, or we would go on a cruise where you do fine dining...ouch. He has gotten a WHOLE lot better, it was REAL bad to begin with.

:lol::lol: You're too much :lol:

My BIG FOOT placed strategically between his legs seems to do the trick. You should try it!! :lol: :lol:

Click My Timeline For Our K-1 Info

10.21.05 - Applied For SS Card (He's Not In The System Yet)

10.27.05 - Got Marriage License

11.02.05 - Received SS Card In The Mail

11.10.05 - Passed Permit Test!

NOVEMBER 18th - We're Married!

12.17.05 - Mailed AOS/EAD Papers

12.27.05 - Checks Cashed

12.29.05 - Received both NOA's in the mail (receipt dates 12.20.05)

02.17.06 - Received Biometrics Letter

02.27.06 - Got Driver's License!

03.11.06 - Biometrics Appointment

03.16.06 - EAD Approved

03.21.06 - EAD Came In The Mail

04.10.06 - Received AOS Interview Letter

06.08.06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

06.19.06 - Green Card Received

WE'RE DONE!

08.22.06 - Elias Is Finally Here!!! Born at 1:13am, 8lbs. 15oz. and 20.5 Inches Long

November 18th, 2006 - Our Real Wedding In Negril

Timeline

You crack me up. When he first came, I was amazed too. In fact I think he chews up, or DID when he first came, the whole darned chicken bones. Perhaps that comes from starving as a youngun, that, and he never grew up with please, thank you, no ma'am, yes ma'am kinda thing. They did have to mind and behave and no roughhousin or they would get slapped silly. I think he had a pretty sad upbringing, no PLAY at all, all work.

I never wanted to hurt his feelings, and like I said, he is ALMOST acceptable now...WITHOUT the kick, lol, but not quite cruise ship standards yet if I wanna go sometime, which I KNOW I will one day. I discussed it gently with him, he SAYS he just doesnt get it,he will eat the way he wants, blah, blah... but one thing I really DO love bout him, is when I tell him something, even if it SEEMS he is rejecting it...he will start observing other people and follow suit. :lol:

Timeline

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

11-16-05 overnited RFE

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

So I hope everyone has a great day today....Last night I went to the Cique de Sole (sp) show Delerium, and it was very good, we had "nose bleed" seats but when we started walking up to our seats one of the workers told us to come back down and she gave us 3 tickets to lower seats, boy was that great..they must not have sold all the lower $125.00 tickets so they were letting people move down into the unsold seats...I just love those shows :yes:

So unitil later, Joanna

Joanna, I want to check out the Cirque du Soleil so badly. Where is it in Orlando? Is it there permanently or touring?

Lee

Hey Lee, the one I went to last night is a traveling one...but there is one called La Nubia that is in downtown disney al the time...I have seen it also and it is much better then the one last night... I think I am going to take Adrian to see it when he gets here...Tickets are kinda pricey but it is well worth it...I have also seen one in Las Vegas that was good.

Joanna

10/25/2005 - I-129F packet mailed to TSC

11/03/2005 - NOA 1 from CSC

11/07/2005 - Check cashed

02/03/2006 - NOA2 by e-mail

05/03/2006 - Leave for Jamaica

05/09/2006 - Interview "VISA APPROVED"

05/15/2006 - Return from Jamaica

05/22/2006 - Called off the wedding and Adrian left

CONGRATS TENIKA AND ROHAN!!! (I am next!!!)

10/25/2005 - I-129F packet mailed to TSC

11/03/2005 - NOA 1 from CSC

11/07/2005 - Check cashed

02/03/2006 - NOA2 by e-mail

05/03/2006 - Leave for Jamaica

05/09/2006 - Interview "VISA APPROVED"

05/15/2006 - Return from Jamaica

05/22/2006 - Called off the wedding and Adrian left

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.