capick

to change my name before or after?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

So I am getting married in March, I have been planning all of my paperwork to file for AOS, authorization to work, travel forms, etc. I have made an appt to have my INS paperwork filled out for my Medical and am really wondering if I should change my name before applying for my adjustment of status, or wait until afterward. Does anyone have any insight? I was thinking that it might be easier to do before as I have no idea what I will have to do to have my permanent resident card changed with my new last name, but will they still accept my I-693 if it says my old name? On a bit of a time crunch since my TN will expire 6 mos after our wedding and I don't want to lose my job!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Okay first it's USCIS, hasn't been INS for a really long time.

If you're planning to change your name write the new name on the forms. You don't need to change anything else until you get your EAD or GC. Even then there's no requirement for when.

Stuff in your maiden name is perfectly acceptable.

Also for those interested, TN visas can still work after filing AOS as long as their TN I-94 is still valid. If the TN I-94 expires they must cease work until they get the EAD or GC http://www.tnvisabulletin.com/applying-for-green-card-tn-st/

Timeline

So just to clarify, having I693 filled out in my maiden name, but all other forms completed in my married name won't make a difference? I've been living in the US for the past 5 years, and from my understanding, to have my name changed on my Canadian passport, I'll need to at least have my drivers license here changed before they will accept that. Anyone else have any prior experience? Thanks so much for your help Vanessa and Tony!

Edited by capick

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you are planning to change your name when you marry, then use your married name on the AOS forms. The name you use on the forms is the name your EAD and green card will come with. It will take months and be costly to change the name on the green card, so you want to get it with the name you will be using after you marry.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

So just to clarify, having I693 filled out in my maiden name, but all other forms completed in my married name won't make a difference? I've been living in the US for the past 5 years, and from my understanding, to have my name changed on my Canadian passport, I'll need to at least have my drivers license here changed before they will accept that. Anyone else have any prior experience? Thanks so much for your help Vanessa and Tony!

Nope not a problem. I came on a K1. ALL my documents were in my maiden name. It wasn't until I got my GC that i got around to changing my SSN and longer till I got a license. I even filed our 2009 taxes in my maiden name (married jointly). Not a problem at all for ROC that that one return was different :) It might be easier to wait to change your documents till you have your GC or EAD because some places are more difficult than others, but you can do the banks with your marriage certificate (I did) and once your change your SSN (again with marriage certificate and possibly EAD... a TN might allow you to change it) you can get a license and ID in your married name.

fun fun :)

Timeline

Nope not a problem. I came on a K1. ALL my documents were in my maiden name. It wasn't until I got my GC that i got around to changing my SSN and longer till I got a license. I even filed our 2009 taxes in my maiden name (married jointly). Not a problem at all for ROC that that one return was different :) It might be easier to wait to change your documents till you have your GC or EAD because some places are more difficult than others, but you can do the banks with your marriage certificate (I did) and once your change your SSN (again with marriage certificate and possibly EAD... a TN might allow you to change it) you can get a license and ID in your married name.

fun fun :)

So I just read on the USCIS website, that in order to get a new GC, I will need to fill out form I90 an additional $450... yuck!!!! I think I'm nauseated..... It appears at the Canadian passport turn around with names changed via mail is 20days. The questions becomes, should I really wait a month (risking an outdated TN and therefore inability to continue working? now wondering if 6 mos was enough time to get my AED?) or just get all of this over with and suck up the $450 later?!?!?!?!?

Timeline

So I just read on the USCIS website, that in order to get a new GC, I will need to fill out form I90 an additional $450... yuck!!!! I think I'm nauseated..... It appears at the Canadian passport turn around with names changed via mail is 20days. The questions becomes, should I really wait a month (risking an outdated TN and therefore inability to continue working? now wondering if 6 mos was enough time to get my AED?) or just get all of this over with and suck up the $450 later?!?!?!?!?

I'm confused. You don't need to change your name on ANY DOCUMENTS to file AOS in your married name. You just write your married name on the forms.

the I-90 would be if you didn't fill in the forms in your married name and the card arrived in maiden name and you wanted to change it. Even then you don't need to file the I-90 and instead could wait for ROC (2 years - 90 days later) to change it then.

Do not panic. File your forms with your married name on them and deal with the changing of your other documents later. Seriously, trust me on this. It's what K1's do.

I married Nov 2009. I only changed my bank account (to practice signing my new name) until I got my GC (July 2010). I changed my passport in Sept-Nov 2010 when I had to return to Australia for a family emergency. I didn't change my SSN for over a year (pre-April 2011 I think) and the same day I got a learners permit in my married name. None of this was ever an issue for me.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

I'm confused. You don't need to change your name on ANY DOCUMENTS to file AOS in your married name. You just write your married name on the forms.

the I-90 would be if you didn't fill in the forms in your married name and the card arrived in maiden name and you wanted to change it. Even then you don't need to file the I-90 and instead could wait for ROC (2 years - 90 days later) to change it then.

Do not panic. File your forms with your married name on them and deal with the changing of your other documents later. Seriously, trust me on this. It's what K1's do.

I married Nov 2009. I only changed my bank account (to practice signing my new name) until I got my GC (July 2010). I changed my passport in Sept-Nov 2010 when I had to return to Australia for a family emergency. I didn't change my SSN for over a year (pre-April 2011 I think) and the same day I got a learners permit in my married name. None of this was ever an issue for me.

I think that I'm confused too.

If I file the forms in my married name, I don't need any other proof other than my marriage license of my name change??

No form of ID with my new married name at all with any of the forms? and they will still accept them?

Timeline

If I file the forms in my married name, I don't need any other proof other than my marriage license of my name change?? Nope.

No form of ID with my new married name at all with any of the forms? Nope. and they will still accept them? Yep

See above. Yep. Just complete the forms in married name. Deal with the name change stuff later (whenever you feel like it/are able to).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Filling out I-693 with maiden names will not be an issue. Please note that your marriage license and certificate will be in your maiden name too. And, you have to declare all names used in your paperwork anyway. I would also suggest that you use your new name for AOS because that would be what on your GC. You can include copies of DL and SS card before and after name change evidencing your name change (I did for my wife).

What I post here is merely my personal opinion and not a valid legal advice and should not be viewed as such.

Timeline

If I file the forms in my married name, I don't need any other proof other than my marriage license of my name change??

Marriage certificate (not license) is enough proof for name change through marriage. You will need other documents only if the name change is NOT through marriage.

No form of ID with my new married name at all with any of the forms? and they will still accept them?

They will accept it. however, you can evidence your name change with copies of DL and social security card from before and after marriage. All you need to change your name with SSA and DMV (at least in Virginia) is the marriage certificate.

Edited by inqztve

What I post here is merely my personal opinion and not a valid legal advice and should not be viewed as such.

Timeline

Filling out I-693 with maiden names will not be an issue. Please note that your marriage license and certificate will be in your maiden name too. And, you have to declare all names used in your paperwork anyway. I would also suggest that you use your new name for AOS because that would be what on your GC. You can include copies of DL and SS card before and after name change evidencing your name change (I did for my wife).

DL is good for showing joint residence. SSN is pointless. Name change doesn't prove relationship in any way. It's a personal choice. It doesn't HURT to include the SSN copies if you like but they don't help either

Timeline

DL is good for showing joint residence. SSN is pointless. Name change doesn't prove relationship in any way. It's a personal choice. It doesn't HURT to include the SSN copies if you like but they don't help either

I used both DL and SSN (before and after copies) as evidence of name change as suggested by my lawyer.

Timeline

I used both DL and SSN (before and after copies) as evidence of name change as suggested by my lawyer.

Okay and that's great but again I'm letting you, and other readers know, proof of name change isn't relevant. USCIS doesn't care if you changed your name or not.

If you're referring to evidence to accept your legal name change for the GC, the only evidence of name change that they will accept is a legal document, documenting the change. Marriage certificate, divorce certificate, name change certificate etc.

DL and SSN don't help with legal change of name. And change of name doesn't prove relationship. That's all I'm trying to tell you.

Timeline

Okay and that's great but again I'm letting you, and other readers know, proof of name change isn't relevant. USCIS doesn't care if you changed your name or not.

If you're referring to evidence to accept your legal name change for the GC, the only evidence of name change that they will accept is a legal document, documenting the change. Marriage certificate, divorce certificate, name change certificate etc.

DL and SSN don't help with legal change of name. And change of name doesn't prove relationship. That's all I'm trying to tell you.

I am just curious. Is that the general consensus among people here? or is there a USCIS guideline on this? Or is it your opinion?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.