Rebecca Smith

Health Insurance Requirement?

51 posts in this topic

Not true, in the state I live in no insurance company can deny insurance for pre-existing conditions. I know this to be fact because I have 2 auto immune diseases, diagnosed 5 years ago, I just had to buy an individual plan for myself about a 7 months ago. I shopped around, and each company I spoke to said that I cannot be denied coverage under any circumstances for something pre-existing. The plan I got was through Anthem Blue Cross, the rate is very reasonable, low co-payments and low deductible I haven't been denied any treatment whatsoever, and I need chemotherapy infusions that cost over 10k for each infusion, I need 2 of them once ever 6 months(40k+ a year). Not to mention my monthly visits to my Rheumatologist once a month and physical therapy twice a week, blood work monthly, countless xrays. bone scans, CT scans, you name it. Here is a link to a healthcare reform law that went into effect in 2010. read the last paragraph, it states that no one can be denied coverage or be forced to pay higher premiums because of something pre existing. http://www.familiesu...conditions.html

You are lucky to live in such a state. However, the link you have is referring to the Health Care reform act which will not be in place for all states for preexisting conditions until 2014.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Again, all I can find is that it will cover a preexisting condition only after a waiting period of one year. That isn't coverage to me. What states are you referring to. Please send a link.

The staes of MARYLAND, VIRGINIA and the District of Columbia has laws that policies will not be written with pre-existing clause.

BCBS has 26 Plans, and many of these Plans do write policies without pre-existing clauses. Atena, and Kaiser also write without pre-existing clauses.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Upon doing his medical he will prove to be a diabetic, and he also did revael this, once the Dr noted like uncontrolled

diabetes I think they can require the insurance, since blood sugar fluctates, in a yr he can very well be stabilized, however with no insurance if he has to say take insulin in the near future, they dont want to furnish this right of the top to him (just saying) insulin cost $40 and up a btl. last a mth depending on how much one takes, with insurance its about $10-$15, so I am not positive but it may be a case by case basis re CO judgement upon seeing Drs report, also if one is diabetic they have to have an endocrinologist that

they see every 2-3 mths . This is just a little input.

The staes of MARYLAND, VIRGINIA and the District of Columbia has laws that policies will not be written with pre-existing clause.

BCBS has 26 Plans, and many of these Plans do write policies without pre-existing clauses. Atena, and Kaiser also write without pre-existing clauses.

We won't be in any of those states. We will be in WI, and there, he would qualify to be in the high risk pool for insurance with pre-existing conditions, if we could wait for him to get to the US. What I don't like is that we have to purchase a policy for the year, at a cost of at least $1000, and he will probably not need to use it. He probably will need to see a doctor for something else, and I don't know if that will be covered in the policy purchased.

Oh, and let me clarify one other thing. The medical exam that the visa seeker will get is not an overall diagnostic for possible problems (like uncontrolled diabetes or other chronic diseases). The blood test is a test for just one or two things, not a general blood workup test. He was honest in his dialogue with the doctor about his taking pills for diabetes, and the doctor needed to include that in his medical report.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There's some good information posted and some that's well, not so good.

Here's my take.

He is diabetic, plain and simple. Were he pre-diabetic he would not be taking oral meds. He takes Glucophage or something similiar so he is NIDDM (Non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus) Big deal. He does not need to see an endocrinologist, any Nurse Practitioner, Physician's Assistant or MD can eventually pull a HA1c which shows how his blood sugar is doing over the past month or so and adjust meds based upon that.

Will he become insulin dependent? Who knows, and if so, any dastardly problems may or may not appear and are unlikely to apppear in the next five years.

Diabetes is a serious issue, but if he controls his diet, exercises, and watches his HA1c he may never go on insulin and may never have serious diabetic issues, plain and simple. If he's 30lbs overweight and comes to America and loses the 30lbs he may no longer need oral meds, and in that case will no longer be classified as diabetic.

Now, let's look at the problem.

Perhaps if he had said: "I have non-insulin diabetes and take oral meds, it is well controlled," this issue might not have come up. His answer sort of comes across as evasive (in my opininon only) but I'm not saying that was his intention, he was honest, and only perhaps chose not the best words.

Here's the problem: He needs a one year insurance policy.

Here's the answer: Get one

As has been stated insurance is a state by state issue, yet this fact is likely not not matter a whit. Why? Because all they want is "an insurance policy," they have not indicated any specific coverage.

My suggestion is to try to obtain a garbage policy. What is a garbage policy? In the great state of Massachusetts which "requires" you to have insurance my company did exactly that. And guess what--the maxiumum that they would spend in one year was exactly the sum of what I paid in. Note (this was 2008 and MA's laws may (and hopefully) have negated such policies).

But you are in Wisconsin and so I suggest that you search Google for keywords: "Catastrophic insurance." You will find many hits, apply to one or a dozen and also call your local insurance peddlar (look under insurance in your phone book if you have one). Don't underestimate their ability to get you one, often they have a database that can access hundreds of insurance policies.

A catastrophic insurance policy is just that and it will exclude (possibly totally, or possibly for one year) any conditons related to diabetes--big deal, he's not likely to need it for that anyway. It will have a (as stated by someone who suggested catastrophic insurance earlier) $5,000 or better yet, $20,000 deducible. (The higher the better as it is unlikely to ever be used.) The cost won't be huge, the inusurance will likely be useless for him, BUT--you will have a policy, and it is very unlikely that anyone will look close enough to say: "this sucks, it's garbage," and so they'll simply approve it, as you have done your part.

Try it and please let us know if you find something and how much it costs so it might be of use for others that follow.

Good luck.

Edited by Juliet and Steve

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That statement is completely un-true, Blue Cross and Blue Shield have many policies that have no-pre-existing clauses. The policy can be underwritten without a pre-existing clause. Some states doesn't even allow Insurance companies to write policies with a pre-existing clause.

Most people on this board makes statemets based on the states that they live in, there are 52 states many terrioties that have different states laws regarding how a Insurance policy can be admistered.

I know I've been traveling to canada for about 4 years now, but I hope I didn't actually miss adding (2) states in one of these visits.

Unless you were counting things that aren't actually states?

oldlady.gif

This is also a part of "intent to reestablish domicile" IMO since both are living abroad.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I added my husband to my insurance for this year(2013). Only because we are not allowed to make changes during the year, and I plan for him to be here sometime this year(fingers crossed)

USCIS - 66 days ROC - 139 days from sent to approved
12/3/2012 - I-130 delivered to Chicago 5/20/15: mailed I-751 package to California office
12/4/2012 - NOA1 NBC (Missouri Service Center MSC) 5/22/15: Date on NOA1
12/6/2012 - Check cashed 8/26/15: Bio appointment

12/8/2012 - Received paper NOA1 10/06/15: Received Email card was being processed
12/20/2012 - Case number showed up on USCIS website
1/29/2013 - Called USCIS and case is still at NBC
2/8/2013 - Received an Email that we were approved on 2/7/13
3/5/2013 - Told file may have been "misplaced" to email NOA2 to NCVresearch
3/7/2013 - ISO at the USCIS opened a service request to try to track down
if and when the file was shipped. Should hear something before 3/26 ( so she said)

NVC - 119 days NVC to Visa in hand
03/11/2013: NVC received (31 days from NOA2 at USCIS till received at NVC )
03/25/2013: NVC Case no. assigned
03/27/2013: Paid AOS fee (shows paid 3/29/13)
04/01/2013: AOS Sent
03/27/2013: Received IV Bill
03/27/2013: Paid IV Bill (shows paid 3/29/13)
04/01/2013: Sent IV Packet
04/02/2013:IV Packet Delivered
04/16/2013: Case Complete (37 days from received to case complete)
04/16/2013: Received Case Complete Email

05/13/2013: NVC status "In Transit"

051/20/2013: NVC status "Ready"
06/24/2013: Interview date - Orange card... wanted copy of USC passport

07/08/2013: Visa received in the mail

08/03/2013: POE

1XJBm5.png

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

My mom needs to take medication to control her blood pressure and cholesterol level but they didn't ask for insurance coverage for her. I was actually looking for one so that she'll have coverage before she gets here. However, the ones that I like requires a social security number to apply so I'm still waiting for her card to arrive in the mail. In US Embassy in Manila, health insurance coverage isn't not required for immigrating parents. I think it's specific to your Embassy that they ask your husband for it.

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Like the other person said, just find him a cheap insurance policy that you can drop or change in a year. The easiest way to get what YOU want is to give them what THEY want. No matter if it's difficult, expensive, annoying, not normally asked for or what have you. They want it to give your husband a visa. You want a visa. It's not unreasonable to ask. Just do it :) You'll both be happy and where you want to be.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

My mom needs to take medication to control her blood pressure and cholesterol level but they didn't ask for insurance coverage for her. I was actually looking for one so that she'll have coverage before she gets here. However, the ones that I like requires a social security number to apply so I'm still waiting for her card to arrive in the mail. In US Embassy in Manila, health insurance coverage isn't not required for immigrating parents. I think it's specific to your Embassy that they ask your husband for it.

Did she admit that she has issues at her medical review? Did the embassy people seem to indicate that she had a medical issue while in her visa interview? Did they mention insurance at all in the interview, or did you (she) mention it? What I don't get is that it can be a "requirement" at one embassy and not at another. Under what law do they make the requirement, or omit the requirement?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

i personally have never heard of such, but @Juliet and Steve has provided the best answer here. sorry you have to go through that. it makes no sense to me, but then again, not much of this process does.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Did she admit that she has issues at her medical review? Did the embassy people seem to indicate that she had a medical issue while in her visa interview? Did they mention insurance at all in the interview, or did you (she) mention it? What I don't get is that it can be a "requirement" at one embassy and not at another. Under what law do they make the requirement, or omit the requirement?

The approval of your visa is completely up to the discretion of the approving officer.

So, really, yes, things can be required or "requested" at some embassies, and not at others.

And even then, different people from the SAME embassy may require things that others don't.

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.