Rebecca Smith

Health Insurance Requirement?

51 posts in this topic

To me it all sounds very strange, there is no such requirement in order to get the visa. No one can force you to get an insurance, if you want to pay out of your own pocket that is all good. You need to talk to some more people about this, maybe actually talk to someone at uscis or something cause it sounds to me like the consular officer don't really know what he is talking about.

I wish USCIS had the answer, but I called there and they did not confirm that there is a requirement for health insurance. There is no requirement for the cases they handle directly, ie the adjusting status cases. I have yet to connect with anyone at the National Visa Center. They have such a long wait to speak to a person.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Part of the that "last" step is to ensure that the immigrant will not likely become a public charge. A pre existing medical condition may also cause other related issues. If you weren't obviously going to cover him on your work plan as a spouse then how did you show that he was not likely to be a public charge ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Part of the that "last" step is to ensure that the immigrant will not likely become a public charge. A pre existing medical condition may also cause other related issues. If you weren't obviously going to cover him on your work plan as a spouse then how did you show that he was not likely to be a public charge ?

Well, that is what the AOS is for right? I have a joint sponsor for him in this case. I would assume the sponsor (me) and the joint sponsor should be the ones that support my husband in all things that he might need, right? To my knowledge, there is no requirement for health insurance in the case that the spouse doesn't have any (as I don't).

(Our family have been living in Costa Rica for the past 5 years...)

I probably would agree, but isn't that what the sponsor and joint or co-sponsor are for, to help so the person doesn't go on government aid? And, this kind of insurance doesn't cover anything pre-existing, so it won't help with his diabetes needs. It will just help for emergency situations or accidents, etc. So it will hopefully be a good net, but it is a shame that they can't just ask us to find a plan to enroll him in once we set foot in the US.

There are many policies that covers pre-existing conditions. You can elect to have a basic policy that covers medical conditions, with a 5,000 per deductible per family. It does not have to be the top of the line policy. You are confusing your responsiblities as co-sponsor, yes the government can sue you after the fact, but the government is asking for this as a pre-condition to allowing your husband to enter the country.

Well, that is what the AOS is for right? I have a joint sponsor for him in this case. I would assume the sponsor (me) and the joint sponsor should be the ones that support my husband in all things that he might need, right? To my knowledge, there is no requirement for health insurance in the case that the spouse doesn't have any (as I don't).

(Our family have been living in Costa Rica for the past 5 years...)

AOS is adjusting his status for a GC within living in the US, your husband will be given a GC ability as soon as he enters the US.

There is a condition to quarantee that your husband will not become a public charge. The state of Mass. requires thaat all of its residence haave health Insurance.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

can you add him onto your insurance through your work? I know that my work health insurance requires a valid Social Sec. number for any spouse or dependents to be added onto the policy.

event.pngevent.png

There are many policies that covers pre-existing conditions. You can elect to have a basic policy that covers medical conditions, with a 5,000 per deductible per family. It does not have to be the top of the line policy. You are confusing your responsiblities as co-sponsor, yes the government can sue you after the fact, but the government is asking for this as a pre-condition to allowing your husband to enter the country.

If you have diabetes it is almost impossible to get individual insurance, if he can get it will exclude the preexisting condition and be very expensive. Remember, the immigrant will not have previous US coverage and therefore everything is a preexisting condition. It isn't as though he is just switching from one policy to another while in the US already.

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

No she can not the wife and husband both are living outside of the US. She can get a independent health policy for her family , since the wife has establish residency in the US.

If you have diabetes it is almost impossible to get individual insurance, if he can get it will exclude the preexisting condition and be very expensive. Remember, the immigrant will not have previous US coverage and therefore everything is a preexisting condition. It isn't as though he is just switching from one policy to another while in the US already.

That statement is completely un-true, Blue Cross and Blue Shield have many policies that have no-pre-existing clauses. The policy can be underwritten without a pre-existing clause. Some states doesn't even allow Insurance companies to write policies with a pre-existing clause.

Most people on this board makes statemets based on the states that they live in, there are 52 states many terrioties that have different states laws regarding how a Insurance policy can be admistered.

AOS is adjusting his status for a GC within living in the US, your husband will be given a GC ability as soon as he enters the US.

There is a condition to quarantee that your husband will not become a public charge. The state of Mass. requires thaat all of its residence haave health Insurance.

By AOS here I meant the Affadavit of Support (the I-864 form and information), not Adjustment of Status. Sorry for the confusion.

Rebecca can your AOS support a hospital bill for 75,0000 if by chance your husband should become ill with a minor heart attack because of his condition of having high blood pressure.

Wouldn't it be better to have a health insurance policy that would cover this even if they only covers 75% of the bill.

That statement is completely un-true, Blue Cross and Blue Shield have many policies that have no-pre-existing clauses. The policy can be underwritten without a pre-existing clause. Some states doesn't even allow Insurance companies to write policies with a pre-existing clause.

Most people on this board makes statemets based on the states that they live in, there are 52 states many terrioties that have different states laws regarding how a Insurance policy can be admistered.

Again, all I can find is that it will cover a preexisting condition only after a waiting period of one year. That isn't coverage to me. What states are you referring to. Please send a link.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Again, all I can find is that it will cover a preexisting condition only after a waiting period of one year. That isn't coverage to me. What states are you referring to. Please send a link.

That is exactly my point. To find a policy for a pre-existing condition before he gets there is nearly impossible, so if that is the Embassy's idea to cover his Diabetes, then their idea won't work. If they just want him to have a general policy for whatever eventuality might happen in his first year in the US, then OK, I can see their point. But it should be something that is mentioned as a requirement to show proof of insurance, either through a job, or ???, or through a major medical policy, like the one I will probably buy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Not true, in the state I live in no insurance company can deny insurance for pre-existing conditions. I know this to be fact because I have 2 auto immune diseases, diagnosed 5 years ago, I just had to buy an individual plan for myself about a 7 months ago. I shopped around, and each company I spoke to said that I cannot be denied coverage under any circumstances for something pre-existing. The plan I got was through Anthem Blue Cross, the rate is very reasonable, low co-payments and low deductible I haven't been denied any treatment whatsoever, and I need chemotherapy infusions that cost over 10k for each infusion, I need 2 of them once ever 6 months(40k+ a year). Not to mention my monthly visits to my Rheumatologist once a month and physical therapy twice a week, blood work monthly, countless xrays. bone scans, CT scans, you name it. Here is a link to a healthcare reform law that went into effect in 2010. read the last paragraph, it states that no one can be denied coverage or be forced to pay higher premiums because of something pre existing. http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/publications/reports/health-reform/pre-existing-conditions.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

In college a roommates mother had diabetes, she had circulations issues, her foot got infected, her leg got aputated, she suffered complications , she died. It may not just be a matter of monitoring your sugar levels and can get very costly

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.