Enigma11561

Older couples versus younger-difficulties in processing

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I was wondering if older couples, say 40yo plus, have less difficulties than younger couples, say in their 20's, in going through the process of either a K1 or CR1/IR1? Assume there are no large age gaps, or very obvious red flags ( criminal background, second/third visa application). Do older folks have a better handle on what needs to be done? Do they have less problems at an interview stage? Are they looked upon with perhaps less scrutiny than younger couples by an CO? Are the CO's less concerned about immigrant fraud? Just wondering what other VJer's impressions are.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from Off Topic to General Immigration Discussion ****

I think you may have a point- but it's a "chicken and egg" situation. Older couples are more likely to be able to afford several visits, more likely to wait until they know eachother very well to make the decision to marry, more likely to be comfortably over the poverty limit, and yes, maybe more likely to know how to read carefully and fill in forms acurately.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

In terms of filling our forms etc, we had no problems and we aren't "older" but I think that's a matter of basic reading comprehension :P

In terms of having an easier time at the interview stage etc, I am not sure. I think different countries / consulates have an easier time than others regardless of age though.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

I don't think age is really an issue in the process, not in the 21st century with the way society is.

The various government agencies know what they're looking for; misrepresentation, fraud and other things. Any age can lie, cheat and manipulate.

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Xanax

I understand what you are saying. Put it this way. Take a high fraud country like Nigeria. Would an older couple have less difficulty, all other things being equal? I realize answers will be all over the map, but I am willing to bet given enough responses ( like a few hundred)there would be some kind of conclusion drawn. And no, I am not a math person. :blink:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I was wondering if older couples, say 40yo plus, have less difficulties than younger couples, say in their 20's, in going through the process of either a K1 or CR1/IR1? Assume there are no large age gaps, or very obvious red flags ( criminal background, second/third visa application). Do older folks have a better handle on what needs to be done? Do they have less problems at an interview stage? Are they looked upon with perhaps less scrutiny than younger couples by an CO? Are the CO's less concerned about immigrant fraud? Just wondering what other VJer's impressions are.

I have had a lot of conversations with a gentleman acquaintance that is fairly well up there at VSC and used to work in local offices doing interviews. He has never mentioned that particular factor that I recall, but I never asked.

Alla does interpretation for the interviews and has never mentioned any difference she saw related to age EXCEPT that older people who were actually adults in the Soviet Union (so age 40+ let's say) are often asked many questions about any involvement in the Communist Party. Why? I have no clue. The Communist Party still exists...HERE and there, so why not drill everyone? As long as their involvement was not beyond what was required of ALL students (young pinoeers and Komsomol) then there seems to be no problem. One man Alla interpretted for was being grilled incessantly for his involvement in the Komsomol because they felt he had listed his membership as more than the usual college years. Alla finally interrupted the interviewer and asked "Exactly what do you want from this man? You know we HAD to join the Komsomol, it was not a choice!" When they said they felt maybe he had been a member past school years, she informed the interviewer that the man had a masters degree and was in school longer than most people..."So was I!" she said. That was the end of that.

But I have never heard of it being more difficult just because they are younger.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

*** Moving from Off Topic to General Immigration Discussion ****

I think you may have a point- but it's a "chicken and egg" situation. Older couples are more likely to be able to afford several visits, more likely to wait until they know eachother very well to make the decision to marry, more likely to be comfortably over the poverty limit, and yes, maybe more likely to know how to read carefully and fill in forms acurately.

Good points. :thumbs: More likely to understand that other things are more important than how quickly one can get a postmark on a petition. :lol:

But again, then, these would not be because of age, but because of other conditions maturity brings. It may make an older couple less prone to the kinds of things that bring questions, that's possible.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.