memmy

What Ports of Entry give work authorization

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

:thumbs:

Check the I-9 form and see what documents can be used to work legally. You will not find 'stamp from JFK on entry with a K-1 visa' on that list, I assure you. Someone that enters with a K-1 can file for the EAD before AOS, BUT it is a waste of $380 because it takes 2-3 months to process and will expire when their I-94 does. Since the I-94 expires in 90 days after entry, you would not have time to even use it before it expired. You enter on a K-1, go to SSA 10-14 days later and apply for your SSN, get married, file for AOS and you will file for EAD and AP at the same time. The cost of those 2 forms is waived when filing with your pending I-485 to adjust. No fee for it, and it will be good for a year. Use it while waiting for the green card to be approved to start working legally in the US. That is the only way to do it when entering with a K-1. If you needed to be able to work right away after entry, then you needed to get married and file for a CR-1 instead.

Hi, thanks a lot for the advice! I already have my SSN ( I studied in the US a few years ago). My SSN was authorizing me to work only on-campus. Will I have to file any papers to get the conditions on using my SSN changed? Or I will have to apply for a new SSN?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

That number is yours for life. Once you have a green card in hand you can get the annotation about valid for work only ... removed. But it is always the same number

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi everybody,

What ports of entry other than JFK give K-1 holder a work authorization? Are airports in Atlanta, Washington DC, and Chicago giving incoming K-1 holders work permits as well?

Atlanta gives it too. Most of all Port of Entry do. You can find work with the visa the Embassy put on your passport even though it is only good for 6 months. Then the immigration custom folks at port of entry will tell you that you should receive the Green Card within 3-5 months. You could start working by then and could always update that with the employer once the green card is in your hand. My husband came to the States last month,11/2012, and his port of entry was Atlanta. He was told he could find work using the visa the Embassy handed to him, and he did. We applied for his social security as soon as he got here, and we received that in 4 days. Next, ID Card (same day). Then, his green card arrived in 3 weeks. He's already working.

Timeline

Atlanta gives it too. Most of all Port of Entry do. You can find work with the visa the Embassy put on your passport even though it is only good for 6 months. Then the immigration custom folks at port of entry will tell you that you should receive the Green Card within 3-5 months. You could start working by then and could always update that with the employer once the green card is in your hand. My husband came to the States last month,11/2012, and his port of entry was Atlanta. He was told he could find work using the visa the Embassy handed to him, and he did. We applied for his social security as soon as he got here, and we received that in 4 days. Next, ID Card (same day). Then, his green card arrived in 3 weeks. He's already working.

You are talking about a CR1/IR1 Visa. The OP will be coming on a K1. The information given to them is correct no working until you file for EAD. And no special POE to get work authorization..

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

This person is a K1 different rules apply

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Yes, they do. At least, at JFK. It is valid for 90 days. Many people mention that on here. I need to know what other POE do that.

Please check the dates of those discussions as JFK back in 2008-2009 time frame did just as you said, but the DHS and the USCIS changed those rules and now the K-1 is work authorized only with proper authorization from the USCIS not the CBP. At the POE you are inspected by the CBP and they look at the visa issued or GC by the USCIS and they determine who gets to re-neter the US, not USCIS. Same for working, the CBP may give you a stamp in your passport, but it is the USCIS that gives you that authorization via the GC or EAD. This whole issue really comers down to the fact that in order to get a SSC you must have a reason and for the K-1 the USCIS states you are an alien eligile to work so SSA will issue you a card--nothing more. It is to say time rather than havng to wait for teh EAD or GC and then applying for teh SSC, you can get the SSC and apply for the GC in parallel. You need both to legally work. Once you get a SSN in the US it is yours for life. The determinating document on work eligibility is theI-9 form the employer must fill out to hire you. Please look at it and see what documents are listed in List A verses those listed as List B. Compare that list to what you currently have and you will have your answer.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Timeline

Please check the dates of those discussions as JFK back in 2008-2009 time frame did just as you said, but the DHS and the USCIS changed those rules and now the K-1 is work authorized only with proper authorization from the USCIS not the CBP. At the POE you are inspected by the CBP and they look at the visa issued or GC by the USCIS and they determine who gets to re-neter the US, not USCIS. Same for working, the CBP may give you a stamp in your passport, but it is the USCIS that gives you that authorization via the GC or EAD. This whole issue really comers down to the fact that in order to get a SSC you must have a reason and for the K-1 the USCIS states you are an alien eligile to work so SSA will issue you a card--nothing more. It is to say time rather than havng to wait for teh EAD or GC and then applying for teh SSC, you can get the SSC and apply for the GC in parallel. You need both to legally work. Once you get a SSN in the US it is yours for life. The determinating document on work eligibility is theI-9 form the employer must fill out to hire you. Please look at it and see what documents are listed in List A verses those listed as List B. Compare that list to what you currently have and you will have your answer.

Good luck,

Dave

Thanks a lot for such a detailed and helpful response, Dave!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Yemen
Timeline

JFK doesn't give EAD's. My then fiance did not get one when he entered in mid July 2012. He just got his in the mail this week and 2 days later we filed for his SSN and he should get it next week. Our address is in DC but we opted to land in JFK rather than Dulles because it was cheaper.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

before you start handing out wrong advice you should read. The OP asked about a K-1 visa, NOT a CR-1. The K-1 does NOT have work authorization...end of story!!! K-1is a FIANCE visa...not spouse.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I believe that has already been covered - several times. No need to over-berate forum posters.

There's that smell again...

Timeline

How did this nonsense got started, if there were selected POEs issuing work permits all who is coming

on that visa would enter there. This is not even up for debate, work permits are'nt issued at airports.

Jihana, people can ask whatever is current to them. If that is a nonsense to you, just ignore it. Somehow, I needed to verify the validity of that info. Have a good day.

Timeline

JFK doesn't give EAD's. My then fiance did not get one when he entered in mid July 2012. He just got his in the mail this week and 2 days later we filed for his SSN and he should get it next week. Our address is in DC but we opted to land in JFK rather than Dulles because it was cheaper.

Oh, ok, thanks a lot for sharing!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.