ike.east

Effect of past divorce on n400

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

No. I'm still married to the USC. I'm divorced from a Canadian, actually. I still had to provide a copy of the final dissolution.

You can see where it asks for the document here ... on the Document Checklist. Look down towards the bottom of page one.

It says:

"If you were married before, send:

- Proof that all earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), death certificate(s)."

Even though this comes directly after the section containing information specific to the 3-year filing option, it is not a part of that section. It stands on its own.

Sorry, it states "If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 items:" That's the three year not the five year. I get paid to read and interpret these things, so I'll be mighty surpised if I'm wrong. Even though we are still (very happily) married, since Richard passed the five year mark it seemed easier to go with less documented route. Much less paperwork to screw up. No problem to bring tax transcrips (which I had ordered) joint HUD-1, bank statements etc with to the interview if they want to see them, but I doubt that they will.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Duplicate topics merged.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Sorry, it states "If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 items".

The request for the divorce decree is not one of those four items. It is a separate request on the checklist. Using your logic it would follow that everything that comes after the 4 items would be a part of filing under the 3-year option. This would include trips abroad, military service etc. This simply is not the case.

In fact, one of the reasons I think they ask everyone for the divorce decree has something to do with the background checks too.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Interesting question about whether to include proof of termination of all earlier marriages, if filing based on 5-years. I will point out that neither Form N-400 nor the instructions for form N-400 mentions this, it is only the checklist.

To the original poster: your "proof of affair" carries no weight and is unnecessary, regardless. You are divorced and remarried, so noone else cares about the sordid details.

Timeline

Interesting question about whether to include proof of termination of all earlier marriages, if filing based on 5-years. I will point out that neither Form N-400 nor the instructions for form N-400 mentions this, it is only the checklist.

To the original poster: your "proof of affair" carries no weight and is unnecessary, regardless. You are divorced and remarried, so noone else cares about the sordid details.

If they want them they will will ask, and I'll send them. It will cause a delay which is not a problem. We are not stressing about anything other than getting an interview/oath appointment the same week as the vacation we have planned for in early June. They don't need the documents to do the background check all of the detailed information has been provided on the N-400 plus they have seen they docs during the other processes. I'll be surprised if it's an issue but ya never know.

Well, the checklist is USCIS Publication M-477 as below and it clearly states to include divorce decrees (there is no distinction between 5 and 3 year filers). I think it is very clear, don't you?

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf

Timeline

Well, the checklist is USCIS Publication M-477 as below and it clearly states to include divorce decrees (there is no distinction between 5 and 3 year filers). I think it is very clear, don't you?

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 items:

1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:

a. Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth); or

b. Certificate of Naturalization; or

c. Certificate of Citizenship; or

d. The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport; or

e. Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America; and

2. Your current marriage certificate; and

3. Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); and

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:

a. Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children; or

b. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years; or

c. An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

See what I bolded. You only need to include these items if you are doing the three year (based on your spouse being a US Citizen). If you have been here five years you can apply on your own.

Like I said, I am pretty good a cutting through gov speak since I do it for a living, not that I can't get it wrong. But for now we can agree to disagree and like I said if the USCIS wants our stuff they can have it. I'm done with this. I have to tussle with the public over this (kind of) stuff every day, so I wish everyone here the best of luck in their journey :dance: .

I'm done with this. I have to tussle with the public over this (kind of) stuff every day, so I wish everyone here the best of luck in their journey :dance: .

Dear bettenan,

Here is the full version:

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 items:

1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:

a. Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth); or

b. Certificate of Naturalization; or

c. Certificate of Citizenship; or

d. The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport; or

e. Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America; and

2. Your current marriage certificate; and

3. Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); and

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:

a. Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children; or

b. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years; or

c. An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

If you were married before, send:

Proof that all earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificates(s)).

See the post in red!!!!

Please do not post only a partial section to try to validate what you said earlier. This has nothing to do with the earlier section about marriage to US citizen. The USCIS wants to make sure about your legal/marital status and that you have terminated all previous marriages lawfully, period.

---

Edited by nwctzn

Final clarification:

If you apply based on marriage to US citizen:

- Send proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s))

- If you were married before, send proof that all earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificates(s)).

If you apply based on 5 year residency:

- If you were married before, send proof that all earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificates(s)).

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Final clarification:

If you apply based on marriage to US citizen:

- Send proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s))

If you apply based on 5 year residency:

Ditto

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Nothing on the check lists about bringing in a worthless utility bill, or proof that you paid a six buck parking ticket, but your IO has the authority to requests this type of evidence that can cause major delays.

If you came here via marriage and that ended up in a divorce, questions will arise. In particular if it was that marriage is how you came here, got a divorce from that sponsor, and remarried. To avoid long delays, best to be prepared, and not with stories, but with legal documentation.

Nothing on the check lists about bringing in a worthless utility bill, or proof that you paid a six buck parking ticket, but your IO has the authority to requests this type of evidence that can cause major delays.

True; the interviewing officer can ask you to produce documentation that is not on the checklist. Hence, go to the interview with as many extra documentation as possible in case the officer requests any of them.

On the other hand, for the N-400 application, send in what is stated on the checklist. Read the USCIS checklist below very carefully:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.