TheMadMulatto

Attempting AOS with Expired I-94

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My Fiance' (now Husband) came from England to the U.S. on a K1 Visa in May in this

and we were married in under 90 days.

We were told by three different folks at Home Land Security Customer Service that there was no deadline

involved in sending in our I-485; not the first time we were given in wrong information by HLS Representatives.

My Husband's I-94 expired November 9th so that means we are about 32 days Out-of-Status as far as I can tell

and NOT eligible to use the I-485.

I've been looking online all day and night hoping to find out what move to make next

since the I-485 appears to not be an option now.

I DID see one site where someone claimed that we are out-of-status and unable to file the I-485

ONLY IF we are beyond 180 days AFTER the I-94 expiration date.

I just wanna know what my options are... what's the right form at THIS stage?

Am I out of options and need a lawyer, now?

Should we just send in the I-485 anyway and maybe explain our reasons for lateness in a separate letter?

-Frustrated.

There is no deadline to file AOS. File ASAP.

Here is the VJ guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~~Moved to Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas, from Adjustment of Status Case Filing and Progress Reports as the OP is just starting and not updating~~~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I filed my AOS after my I-94 was expired. We got married Sept 4 and my J1 visa expired Sept 13. I had 1 month tourist extension till Oct 13 and we filed the papers Nov 19... so 36 days after the last day of my legal stay in USA. I already got my Boimetrics appointment letter which means that they didn't notice any delay. I am not 100% sure how it works with K1 visas but the case with overstaying the visa must be similar for all the visas!

AOS from J1

15 Nov '12 - AOS Mailed in!
19 Nov '12 - Pack Received
21 Nov '12 - Case Numbers Assigned (NOA1)
28 Nov '12 - NOA1 received in post
05 Dec '12 - Biometrics appointment received (scheduled for Dec 24)
07 Dec '12 - Biometrics appointment #2 received (rescheduled for Dec 26)
26 Dec '12 - Biometrics appointment NOLA
02 Jan '13 - I-485 case status changed to "Testing and interview" - no interview date assigned
17 Jan '13 - EAD/AP card in production
23 Jan '13 - EAD card in production ( second update )
28 Jan '13 - EAD card received
04 Feb '13 - Interview scheduled for March 7
07 Mar '13 - APPROVED
16 Mar '13 - Green card in the mail ( 4 months )

ROC

26 Dec '14 - ROC Mailed in!
29 Dec '14 - Pack Received
30 Dec '14 - NOA1 - 1 year extension
19 Feb '15 - Biometrics appointment received (scheduled for March 5th) - I had to call twice to ask what is going on with it. My local office was too busy!
20 Feb '15 - Biometrics appointment #2 received (scheduled for March 9th) - Different case number plus the one from the first letter... Very confusing!
05 Mar '15 - Biometrics appointment in NOLA. They asked me for the second letter with both case numbers. Very complicated explanation!

09 Sep '15 - APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We didn't file AOS for 9 months after my husband arrived in the USA....Good Luck

Edited by tru_loves_journey

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

We waited a year to file AOS, and had no problems at all. It was transferred to CSC and approved without interview.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Probably too much information for you here and now, but what the heck . . .

The sole requirement of the K-1 is that you guys got married to one another within the 90 days following entry to the U.S. If you did that, you are fine. There is no deadline to file for AoS, and you can file for AoS even up to 2 years later and adjust status based on the I-134 (Affidavit of Support) that was part of the I-129F and K-1 package.

Now it gets a bit complicated.

The K-1 leads to a conditional, 2-year Green Card.

However, if a couple has been married for 2 years by the time they file for Adjustment of Status, the foreign spouse would get an unconditional, 10-year Green Card.

This is like you buying a computer program and when you have loaded it, the damn machine crashes!

Now, if you were to file for AoS after you have been married for 2 years, you could not adjust based on the I-129F and the I-134 anymore. Instead, you would file for AoS based on being married to a US citizen. Part of such a petition is the I-130 (instead of the I-129F) and the I-864 instead of the I-134. Both are Affidavit of Support, but the I-864 allows for a co-sponsor.

So not to worry, there's no penalty for filing for AoS months after the I-94 expired.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Probably too much information for you here and now, but what the heck . . .

The sole requirement of the K-1 is that you guys got married to one another within the 90 days following entry to the U.S. If you did that, you are fine. There is no deadline to file for AoS, and you can file for AoS even up to 2 years later and adjust status based on the I-134 (Affidavit of Support) that was part of the I-129F and K-1 package.

Now it gets a bit complicated.

The K-1 leads to a conditional, 2-year Green Card.

However, if a couple has been married for 2 years by the time they file for Adjustment of Status, the foreign spouse would get an unconditional, 10-year Green Card.

This is like you buying a computer program and when you have loaded it, the damn machine crashes!

Now, if you were to file for AoS after you have been married for 2 years, you could not adjust based on the I-129F and the I-134 anymore. Instead, you would file for AoS based on being married to a US citizen. Part of such a petition is the I-130 (instead of the I-129F) and the I-864 instead of the I-134. Both are Affidavit of Support, but the I-864 allows for a co-sponsor.

So not to worry, there's no penalty for filing for AoS months after the I-94 expired.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

You've met the requirement for K1 visa, got married within 90 days so you're good

Good luck!

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Filed: Other Timeline

AOS in any variety requires a I-864.

You are correct, of course.

Brain freeze on my part. My excuse: it's my daughter's birthday and mom and she managed to get the Happy Birthday sign on fire and drop it on the carpet. I'm not myself today . . .

:blush:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You are correct, of course.

Brain freeze on my part. My excuse: it's my daughter's birthday and mom and she managed to get the Happy Birthday sign on fire and drop it on the carpet. I'm not myself today . . .

:blush:

Woo party! Shazaam!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

As others have mentioned, you can file the AOS later since you've met the K1 requirement of marrying within 90 day of the I-94 expiration.

Another problem for the beneficiary that I can think of is what happens if the marriage fails and the AOS is not filed (nobody thinks it will happen to them, but it does happen). The petitioner is not obligated to file the AOS, so this would put the beneficiary in a worse situation. That's why I say file ASAP, even if you have to borrow the money. For those thinking of doing the K1 route, please set aside funds for the AOS fees. The AOS fee shouldn't be a surprise. I personally would not like to have my spouse's life put on hold when this could be prevented.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My Fiance' (now Husband) came from England to the U.S. on a K1 Visa in May in this and we were married in under 90 days.

We were told by three different folks at Home Land Security Customer Service that there was no deadline involved in sending in our I-485; not the first time we were given in wrong information by HLS Representatives. There is no deadline to file I-485

My Husband's I-94 expired November 9th so that means we are about 32 days Out-of-Status as far as I can tell correct and NOT eligible to use the I-485. incorrect. There is no deadline, you're still eligible. I filed about 4 months after mine expired and was approved without RFE or interview

I've been looking online all day and night hoping to find out what move to make next since the I-485 appears to not be an option now. It's still an option

I DID see one site where someone claimed that we are out-of-status and unable to file the I-485 ONLY IF we are beyond 180 days AFTER the I-94 expiration date. I don't know what site you're on. The only thing that is too risky is the I-131 (for advanced parole) because with 180 days of overstay you could have ban issues

I just wanna know what my options are... what's the right form at THIS stage? file I-485

Am I out of options and need a lawyer, now? No lawyer required

Should we just send in the I-485 anyway and maybe explain our reasons for lateness in a separate letter? Yep file, file the I-131 and I-765 as well (guide in my signature will help you) and no, no need for a letter

Responses in red above.

You are eligible to file AOS based on the K1 as long as you married your K1 petitioner in the 90 days. If you married after 90 days, but married the original K1 petitioner you need to file an I-130 with AOS. If you file AOS after 2 years of marriage then also file the I-130.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.