cluelessinny

citizenship question Belarus

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

will my wife be a dual citizen

she is registered at a apartment in Belarus

and doesn't want to lose it, her mother stays there

will Belarus continue to see her as a citizen and allow her to remain registered at that address?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

When the time comes that she has 2 passports remember which one to use where. she travels on her Belarus passport when leaving the US and when leaving Belarus. If she uses the US passport then she will need a visa. She uses her US passport when entering the US as a citizen. Make sure the names are all the same.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Looks like you have a bit over three years to consider that issue. Also, she does not need to become a US citizen if she is worried about loosing the apartment. She can continue on as a LPR as long as she wants.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

will my wife be a dual citizen

she is registered at a apartment in Belarus

and doesn't want to lose it, her mother stays there

will Belarus continue to see her as a citizen and allow her to remain registered at that address?

Why not?

The United States does not give out any information regarding its citizens to foreign countries. They will be "cluelessinMinsk" that she has become a US citizen unless she tells them.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

When the time comes that she has 2 passports remember which one to use where. she travels on her Belarus passport when leaving the US and when leaving Belarus. If she uses the US passport then she will need a visa. She uses her US passport when entering the US as a citizen. Make sure the names are all the same.

:thumbs:

Here is what we do.

1. Alla's names are NOT the same. Her married name is on the US passport, maiden name on Ukraine passport

Alternate 1

2. ALways fly to and enter Ukraine using the US passport. From Ukraine she can travel to Belarus or Russia using her Ukraineian internal passport OR her Ukrainian international passport. This limits her to 90 days but she is usually rady to leave in 4-5 days anyway.

Alternate 2

Enter Russia or Belarus directly from the US using BOTH passports and a copy of marriage certificate. They will stamp BOTH passports. You will need to prsent BOTH passports again when leaving Russia for the US. Use this ONLY if you will not be visiting any other countries.

Alternate 3, used this summer.

Arrive in Moscow airport for a layover between flights to Donetsk. Use Ukrainian internal passport to leave the airport and visit Sergey's girlfriend while between flights. Come back to the airport and show ticket to Donetsk and Ukrainian internal passport to passport control.

Just be careful which passports you use.

As for property, we added Alla's mom as an owner on the deed to the property. It is going to be another issue when she comes here, but she will probably never be a US citizen

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

US citizens require a visa to enter Belarus. Therefore it is better to use the Belarus passport when traveling back and forth. They need only use the US passport when entering at POE.

Timeline

US citizens require a visa to enter Belarus. Therefore it is better to use the Belarus passport when traveling back and forth. They need only use the US passport when entering at POE.

Right. Same for Russia.

So fly to Ukraine with US passport and then take a train to Minsk (or wherever)and use the Belarussian passport to enter Belarus.

Here is the trick. When you fly OUT of any of those places you will need to show authorization to ENTER the United States before you board the airplane, so you need to show the US passport to leavealso. OR a visa to enter the US. If the airlines do not do this they are in big trouble with US authorities for bringing unauthorized persons.

Now, in Russia it is no problem to show BOTH passports entering and leaving since Russia has no restriction on dual citizenship. I am not sure about Belarus. Ukraine has a convoluted relationship with dual citizenship. When push comes to shove, they do not much really care and their law is too vague and mixed up for anyone to enforce anyway, but it could be enough to cause delays at airports by overzealous passport control guys, so best to avoid it. Little, if any, questions are ever asked of US citizens.

Since Sergey finished his studies in Moscow we have little need to visit Russia except for fun and for that we can just take a flight from Ukraine when we are there, or a train. Alla will just use her Ukrainian passport.

Always keep foreign passports (internal and international) current.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.