ImminentImmigrant

The Curious Case Of Moving To America

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hey,

So I am a resident of Mumbai, India. Just got married last month in India. My spouse is a a citizen of USA, studying in Houston, Texas. I plan to join her in the US and do an MBA, after which I may live there with my wife or we may move back to India together.

Having consulted an immigration lawyer, they determined that the CR-1 Visa would be the best route for us to proceed with.

However, in most cases of CR-1 Visa, the US Citizen will be supporting the immigrant. However, in this case, my wife is still a student, staying with her family. Also, since we are not staying in the same country and she has now gone back, we do not have joint bank statements or other financial documents.

My questions are:

1) If I name my wife as my sponsor, does that mean she HAS to be financing me? Or should I name my father in law as a co-sponsor too? I wouldn't want to unnecesarily get into extra paperwork.

2) She is going to start filling the I-110 form for me from Texas. Does she need the original of our Marriage Certificate, or do I hold on to that for the interview and simply send her a copy?

3) In the I-130 form, will the lack of any financial data for Proof Of Marriage make them suspicious? We have our wedding album, invitations, relatives and friends who can attest it is real, and Skype/IM Transcripts. Will these suffice?

4) If I tell the Immigration Authorities that I may or may not stay in the US permanently after my MBA, will that be a reason for them to reject me?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

1. Your wife is the primary sponsor, even if she makes no money. Her dad can be the joint sponsor- ie he needs to fill in a I-864 too, submit tax papers etc, when the time comes.

3. No, the government realises you won't have joint accounts etc when you do not live together. Evidence of spending time together (airline tickets, photos etc) and communicating (emails, phone bills etc) are fine.

4. Not by itself, but they may find it odd. I would not mention it unless they specifically ask.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

1) If you'd take a look or a search around the forum you'd see that she would need a cosponsor.

2) I think you mean for your I-130. You need to send a photocopy with the application. For the NVC stage you'll want the original.

3) I'd try and get a little more than what you have. You can try and find this in a variety of ways, but I'd just go for as much as possible.

4)No, but it is a little unusual, especially because you may receive government assistance to study that you are not going to pay back with taxes.

Edited by Nola123

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Hey,

So I am a resident of Mumbai, India. Just got married last month in India. My spouse is a a citizen of USA, studying in Houston, Texas. I plan to join her in the US and do an MBA, after which I may live there with my wife or we may move back to India together.

Having consulted an immigration lawyer, they determined that the CR-1 Visa would be the best route for us to proceed with.

However, in most cases of CR-1 Visa, the US Citizen will be supporting the immigrant. However, in this case, my wife is still a student, staying with her family. Also, since we are not staying in the same country and she has now gone back, we do not have joint bank statements or other financial documents.

My questions are:

1) If I name my wife as my sponsor, does that mean she HAS to be financing me? Or should I name my father in law as a co-sponsor too? I wouldn't want to unnecesarily get into extra paperwork.

2) She is going to start filling the I-110 form for me from Texas. Does she need the original of our Marriage Certificate, or do I hold on to that for the interview and simply send her a copy?

3) In the I-130 form, will the lack of any financial data for Proof Of Marriage make them suspicious? We have our wedding album, invitations, relatives and friends who can attest it is real, and Skype/IM Transcripts. Will these suffice?

4) If I tell the Immigration Authorities that I may or may not stay in the US permanently after my MBA, will that be a reason for them to reject me?

Thanks in advance.

1. Your wife is the primary sponsor, even if she makes no money. Her dad can be the joint sponsor- ie he needs to fill in a I-864 too, submit tax papers etc, when the time comes.

3. No, the government realises you won't have joint accounts etc when you do not live together. Evidence of spending time together (airline tickets, photos etc) and communicating (emails, phone bills etc) are fine.

4. Not by itself, but they may find it odd. I would not mention it unless they specifically ask.

Her dad should fill in the I-864A (instead of the I-864) if they live in the same household, right?

Pretty sure I've got this right but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.. We didn't use a joint sponsor so I may not have my facts straight!

Good luck, OP!

Edited to add: Nevermind what I said! Seems the I-864 is the way to go if her dad qualifies on his own. Read this thread for an explanation. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by caly

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for the clarification you guys! Earlier I was considering hiring a Lawyer to walk me through the process, but after reading experiences here I think its doable by myself.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Definitely doable by yourself. Even preferable seeing as your case is straightforward, there are no complications. Hiring a lawyer might even delay your case since no one will follow up on your case and care about it as much as your or your wife do.

Send your wife this link: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_bring_your_foreign_spouse_to_live_in_the_US and tell her to get on this site. The first part of this process is all about her, it's only after you get approval from USCIS that you'll be more involved. So she needs to read the guide (as a start) and start researching and gathering documents.

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.