ilFarinello

My wife just got her "green card"

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

If this is the wrong place to post, sorry, please move it.

So after this long , complicated, and expensive battle she finally got the green card (yay). It arrived a few days ago and my first thoughts were, wow, this thing is sinister looking. It came with a little pouch "to avoid wireless communication". My worry is this, if it is capable of wireless communication this card must have a tracking device in it. Especially since they say it is the law to keep it with you at all times. What is in the crazy hologram section on the back? Does anybody else have concerns about this? When my grandmother got hers years ago it was literally a piece of paper like a social security card. I told my wife sorry, I think you just were welcomed into the USSA... :( ???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It doesn't actually emit a signal, but it can be read, like credit cards, to get the information off it. The pouch is to stop people from reading your card remotely and using your info.

There's no need to be paranoid. I carry mine in it's little pouch. I'm more worried about my bag being stolen than the card transmitting my location...

Timeline

Sorry guys but given what has being going on in this country since 9/11 I do not think my original worry was so far fetched (do any of you read the news??, patriot act,surveillance drones in usa, etc). I think it is a legitimate question to ask if carrying this card means having the owners location known. As for the pouch, it is just normal paper right, I did not see any significance to it, but if it is not carried in this paper, it can interfere with cell phones, etc., is that the idea? I still will reccomend it be left at home...:(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

On a more serious note, the GC is a very valuable piece of property.The hologram is just one of many security features to prevent fraud ( being copied or changed). It's there for your protection.And yes, there are devices that can read the mag stripe so keeping it in its pouch is a good idea.

Timeline

Sorry guys but given what has being going on in this country since 9/11 I do not think my original worry was so far fetched (do any of you read the news??, patriot act,surveillance drones in usa, etc). I think it is a legitimate question to ask if carrying this card means having the owners location known. As for the pouch, it is just normal paper right, I did not see any significance to it, but if it is not carried in this paper, it can interfere with cell phones, etc., is that the idea? I still will reccomend it be left at home...:(

Honestly, you are over reacting. If your wife gets stopped for any reason, that card is her ID over here. It cannot be used to determine your location. Imbedded in that "normal" piece of paper is a material that prevents the card from being read by another device.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The pouch is not normal paper. The original one (which I still have) was very obviously some sort of metal paper, but that' 2 years ago. My new one it looks like paper but if you look closer, you can see shiny sections. It'll be a kind of aluminium or something like that which stops the RFID chip from being read. Whether it's carried in the paper or not, it can't interfere with cellphones. It doesn't DO anything. It's just like a credit card. The strip has personal info (like the credit card) and can be "read" by certain devices.

I'm sure you're aware that your credit cards can be read and that you carry them in aluminium foil to stop that happening. right? Or you got a wallet that blocks RFID chips from being read? if you're not worried about your credit cards being read, there's no need to worry about the GC.

on another note, make sure you have a photocopy of it stored somewhere. Front and back. A scanned copy too if you can in case its lost or stolen.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The EMI barrier it was encased in, is to prevent it being read whilst in transit.

Think about it - would you want the card to be read, the details on the card, to get into the hands of a gang catering to illegal aliens?

Now that you have it - do understand that the card is read by an officer of the US Government when it's time to read it.

POE during transit, an ICE stop when travelling on the highway, when held in a jail , etc...

Relax please - these electronic counter-measures for the carrier are normal. It's our government looking out for you...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I don't really want to get into a back and forth thing here but when I showed the card to many different people they all were thinking the same thing, not at all insane given the direction our government has gone. Everyone I know who has a "green card" got one when they were issued on paper, or regular lamented card that looks more like a drivers license. I guess I am not familiar with this new technology, I still say it is scary. Sorry, I guess I am old school.

Edited by Kathryn41
quoted removed comment edited out

Timeline

Think about this for a moment. How many changes has our paper money gone through over the past few years? Different colors now, more intaglio and micro printing.Credit cards now have a 3 digit codes on the back and holograms as well not to mention other safety features. So the government has decided to upgrade the GC's for better protection, FOR THE HOLDER, and your getting a bit wacko over this? And those people who have paper GC's, when it is time to renew them will get the same thing as your wife. Betcha they will not wait to show it off to their friends.Like "wow, look at this thing" !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

If this is the wrong place to post, sorry, please move it.

So after this long , complicated, and expensive battle she finally got the green card (yay). It arrived a few days ago and my first thoughts were, wow, this thing is sinister looking. It came with a little pouch "to avoid wireless communication". My worry is this, if it is capable of wireless communication this card must have a tracking device in it. Especially since they say it is the law to keep it with you at all times. What is in the crazy hologram section on the back? Does anybody else have concerns about this? When my grandmother got hers years ago it was literally a piece of paper like a social security card. I told my wife sorry, I think you just were welcomed into the USSA... :( ???

My Green card is kept in the safe at home so if the government really are tracking me they must have wondered why I've never left the house in 3 years!

Edited by scotinmass

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

have u actually read this from the USCIS site scotinmass? >>>> If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid green card in your possession at all times <<<<

You may wanna start carrying it because you have been breaking the law!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.